Nosferatu

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

TMDaines

Re: Nosferatu

#26 Post by TMDaines » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:09 pm

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but be careful what you wish for. I'm not sure you'd/we'd look so favourably on films being released dubbed or colorised without an alternate version, even if done with the same mindset.

MichaelB

#27 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:51 pm

Are you responding to me? Because I made it very clear indeed that the MoC version is the one to go for if you're only in the market for one edition, so what exactly am I "wishing for" here?

TMDaines

#28 Post by TMDaines » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:28 pm

I didn't mean you in particular, I was using "you" in the sense of "one". I was just putting forward that their concession, which you suggested was actually beneficial in some circumstances, might not be unwelcomed here, but only because there is an alternative out there. If this was the only choice for watching Nosferatu in HD, people might understandably be disappointed.

Orlac

#29 Post by Orlac » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:12 am

There was a sample of the Gillian Anderson version of the Erdman score on Youtube, and it was so much better then the Heller one. Actually scary!

Finch

#30 Post by Finch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:22 pm

I always found the extras on the MoC disc pretentious and the FWS resto a bit too clean and digital looking for my taste, and the Bernard score is far superior to the Erdmann score so my vote for the best edition of Nosferatu goes to the BFI, dodgy artwork not withstanding.

Feego

#31 Post by Feego » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Finch wrote:I always found the extras on the MoC disc pretentious and the FWS resto a bit too clean and digital looking for my taste, and the Bernard score is far superior to the Erdmann score so my vote for the best edition of Nosferatu goes to the BFI, dodgy artwork not withstanding.
Agreed here completely. I'm not as big a fan of David Kalat as most around here are (he gives good info, but I'm not particularly fond of his delivery style), and for me the Sir Christopher Frayling piece on the BFI disc is preferable. One thing I will say for the MoC disc, however, is that when the color is removed, it actually doesn't look quite so "clean and digital." I think that's a product of the the sometimes overly bright and often garish tinting (the more muted tinting on the BFI is much better). I watched the MoC disc just a few weeks ago with the color drained out, and in lieu of the Erdmann score, I downloaded one of those audio soundscapes of a thunderstorm that apparently relaxes some people and used that as my soundtrack. It was possibly my favorite experience ever watching this movie. A perfect, spooky evening that I may repeat come Halloween. But certainly when I want to watch the film with music, the BFI/Bernard edition is my choice.

Finch

#32 Post by Finch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Feego wrote:I downloaded one of those audio soundscapes of a thunderstorm that apparently relaxes some people and used that as my soundtrack..
I might do that too and play it from a separate stereo set along with the Bernard score for the ride to the castle and other selected scenes. Could be very atmospheric!