Napoleon

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Ribs

Re: Napoleon

#151 Post by Ribs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 am

No, I got mine yesterday. The switch to Asendia has very conveniently made Amazon's usual 7-day international shipping into a 20-ish-day one, but I've not had anything take more than three weeks. I'd imagine it should show up today or tomorrow.

What A Disgrace

#152 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:35 am

I usually buy large orders from Amazon UK anyway, so switching to Amazon Global Standard has been more than painless. Its cheaper than regular Standard if you order in bulk, comes with tracking, and its faster...it took three days for my last package (with Napoleon) to get here. Three days from the UK to Tennessee.

Emak-Bakia

#153 Post by Emak-Bakia » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:08 pm

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, Ribs. It's hard not to get nervous about this one, since it's unlikely I'll be able to get a replacement if it is indeed lost. But, logically, I know it's extremely improbable that it won't show up. I think I've only had maybe two lost international shipments out of hundreds over the years.

I really should look into some of the other shipping options. I'm cheap and (usually) not in a hurry, so I seldom pay attention to anything beyond the standard rate. I have noticed that they're sometimes only marginally more expensive than the cheaper option, and definitely worth it in cases such as this, if only for the peace of mind.

AidanKing

#154 Post by AidanKing » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:01 pm

zedz wrote:I put it down to thousands upon thousands of soon-to-be-disappointed Carmine Coppola fans.
Of course, the score must also be one of the main reasons for the set's popularity! Carl Davis fans are amply catered for as about half the book is devoted to an interview with him about the score and there's another interview as an extra on the discs.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#155 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:13 pm

Though it's MIA again I finally got my Shipping notice from Amazon on my preorder placed back whenever this was first announced!

chatterjees

#156 Post by chatterjees » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:51 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:I usually buy large orders from Amazon UK anyway, so switching to Amazon Global Standard has been more than painless. Its cheaper than regular Standard if you order in bulk, comes with tracking, and its faster...it took three days for my last package (with Napoleon) to get here. Three days from the UK to Tennessee.
I have a question for you. Do you remember who delivers the package if it is Amazon Global Standard? If it is UPS, then I might have to follow your strategy. Past month, All my amazon.co.uk packages are opened, sometimes items stolen (e.g. I received one item out of 4-5 shipped). I am guessing that I got marked by one nice USPS employee, who might be a movie lover possessing a region free blu-ray player. This has become so frustrating now. I just don't know what to do. Nothing happens to my other packages, its only the amazon, UK ones. Initially I thought that it is probably customs (although I never had any issues with them in past), but would they steal the discs? I am waiting for my Napoleon copy too and hope to receive it in proper condition, but again Asendia works with USPS. I hope I don't have to move out of Pittsburgh. Anyways, any insight will be much appreciated. Thanks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#157 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:57 pm

I got a free upgrade to Global Priority from Amazon.co.uk last month and it was UPS

chatterjees

#158 Post by chatterjees » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Yes, Priority is UPS, but I can't remember who's Amazon Global Standard's partner. I get the free Priority upgrades sometimes, especially for replacement orders. This is so annoying now. My copy of Napoleon is coming via i-Parcel and it had a tracking number. I just checked and it is in NY already and was handed over to UPS this morning. So, hopefully I will receive it on Monday. I am just glad it is UPS. I am literally scared of my local PO now.

fdm

#159 Post by fdm » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:18 pm

I was pretty hesitant to order this during the holiday shipping season (and so didn't). Non-pancake version for me it will be. Smaller booklet, so be it.

Is this flimsier than the Dreyer set? (Had a hell of a time getting something in even marginally acceptable shape for it, part of my hesitancy for a repeat experience.)

chatterjees

#160 Post by chatterjees » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:47 pm

So, I didn't get much time before to share my experience with my Napoleon order. This is the weirdest thing even happened to me regarding amazon.co.uk order.
1. Placed my order on 28 November 2016. Order was dispatched next day via Asendia without any tracking number (which is normal) with an expected delivery date for 19th Dec.
2. three days later I received an email from amazon.co.uk CS saying that they are extremely that something happened to my package and they have already placed a replacement order on Dec 2. The package was shipping again within next couple of days using i-parcel with a tracking number and expected delivery date is again Dec 19. I just checked the tracking today and it is already in NY, so hopefully it will reach me soon.
3. Day before yesterday I received another email from them which stated "Thanks for returning your item. We have received your return and have processed your refund".

I am totally lost, I just know one thing that my item is coming. I have no clue what exactly happened. I am guessing that I am going to receive the digipak version with the thick book.

Cronenfly

#161 Post by Cronenfly » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 pm

fdm wrote:Is this flimsier than the Dreyer set? (Had a hell of a time getting something in even marginally acceptable shape for it, part of my hesitancy for a repeat experience.)
Oh yes. I received the Dreyer, Herzog, and Robbe-Grillet sets relatively unmolested, but this one was pretty much totalled. The contents are fine, so I am not too troubled, but for such an important/relatively pricy set, the packaging is quite severely lacking by most any measure. I'm usually not that concerned by such things, but this is an exceptional circumstance. Definitely wait for the standard case reissue if you are at all concerned with having a pristine copy.

Emak-Bakia

#162 Post by Emak-Bakia » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:26 pm

I did indeed receive mine today. Condition is not perfect -- there are substantial creases along the spine and the top, as well as a modest crease along one edge of the inner case. It's not nearly as bad as I was expecting (not full pancake), though, and I can probably live with it not being too much of a distraction.

I've only had a couple occasions to get in touch in the past, but BFI have always been great about replacing packaging, so that's an option to keep in mind.

For the record, I've just compared this to some of the other BFI sets from the last few years (such as the aforementioned Dreyer, Herzog, and Robbe-Grillet ones), and the cardboard seems to be about the same stock as previously used. It seems to me like the frequent reports of damage are a result of the inner case housing the discs in cardboard slots. There is no plastic for support, thus a lot of room for give in the packaging.

In any event, I'm just happy to have this before Christmas. I generally spend my week off work catching up on all the long movies in my collection, and this is #1 in the queue for me.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#163 Post by Shrew » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:38 pm

I got mine a week ago in perfect condition. I ordered straight from BFI with one of the free dvds. Don't know if that was luck, Amazon handling stuff poorly, or protection from being packed with a sturdier product.

fdm

#164 Post by fdm » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:03 am

Oh slots, that's probably the other half reason for my hesitating. Definitely will wait for the plastic version.

chatterjees

#165 Post by chatterjees » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:21 am

This is all because of amazon's poor packaging. I don't care whether the actual design is poorly constructed or a sturdier one. Why the hell on earth, amazon will ship them without any protection. All my BFI box sets with an exception of the Alan Clarke came in those stupid amazon brown envelops, which have zero protection. This is just insane. They just don't care about the product's safe delivery. It seems like they are readily willing to provide us with a full/partial refund or placing place a replacement order, but can't package the thin box sets with bubble wraps in a box for dispatching. Even the thicker box sets come in just a box without any bubble wraps. I just can't get it. I think all the UK companies should reach out to amazon letting them know how their lackluster packaging has become a big issue.

ikms

#166 Post by ikms » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:02 am

Emak-Bakia wrote:It seems to me like the frequent reports of damage are a result of the inner case housing the discs in cardboard slots. There is no plastic for support, thus a lot of room for give in the packaging.
That is it exactly. I got mine yesterday in a huge haul of other Amazon black friday sale discs, yet it is the only item with "damage" (the spine crease and one slightly torn corner). I am pretty sure this is the first BFI set I have had anything happen with, but it simply could not be avoided if slight pressure is applied in a pancaking fashion. This time it's not on Amazon!

A shame to see much of the book go as the (massively detailed) Carl Davis interview about the process of creating the score was fascinating. Now I just need to find time to watch the movie!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#167 Post by swo17 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:20 pm

Meanwhile I'm constructing my nuclear fallout shelter with Arrow Donnie Darko bricks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#168 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:21 pm

I don't doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

Roscoe

#169 Post by Roscoe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:53 am

Interesting to read the differing shipping experiences. I ordered mine from amazon.co.uk, and it arrived in an hilariously oversized shipping box, big enough to hold about fifty of the NAPOLEON Blu-Rays. And there was a lot of cardboard padding to keep it from getting damaged in shipment.

Morgan Creek

#170 Post by Morgan Creek » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:04 pm

Roscoe wrote:Interesting to read the differing shipping experiences. I ordered mine from amazon.co.uk, and it arrived in an hilariously oversized shipping box, big enough to hold about fifty of the NAPOLEON Blu-Rays. And there was a lot of cardboard padding to keep it from getting damaged in shipment.
Likewise - I couldn't recall having ordered anything from Amazon UK that would've required that large a box, and laughed when I found Napoleon buried among all the packing material.

What A Disgrace

#171 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:26 pm

My copy arrived dented on the top, but since I have to extend my arm as far as it will go in order to even touch the top of it on my shelf, and its not like its a particularly attractive box anyway, I'm not really upset. I'd have burned cities if any such dent appeared on my Driller Killer steelbook in the same package, but it didn't.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#172 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:31 pm

Apparently the secret to receiving this in good shape is to live in NYC

FrauBlucher

#173 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:06 pm

domino harvey wrote:Apparently the secret to receiving this in good shape is to live in NYC
Come on up....this could be your playground...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#174 Post by swo17 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:24 pm

Their lives are dented, so it's a wash.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#175 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:26 pm

Ghost: the Musical closed four years ago so why should I even bother