Long Shot

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

Long Shot

#1 Post by antnield » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:22 am

Latest addition to the Flipside...
Rarely seen in the last 40 years our latest Flipside marks the release of this important and funny slice of Scottish cinema. A budding Scottish film producer tries to get his ambitious Aberdeen-set western financed, and while he attracts some major stars and directors to the film, he finds that with their support come more and more script changes...

Filmed around the 1977 Edinburgh Film Festival, Long Shot is a deadpan satire about the trials and tribulations of British independent filmmaking, with terrific cameos from Wim Wenders, Susannah York, Stephen Frears, Alan Bennett and John Boorman.

- Scene Nun, Take One – 26 minute short from 1964 starring Susannah York and directed by Maurice Hatton
- Sean Connery's Edinburgh – 28 minute short from 1982 starring the iconic actor. The film was sponsored by the City of Edinburgh District Council and aimed at increasing tourist trade
- Hooray for Holyrood – a 1986 Scottish Television short presented by Robbie Coltrane celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Edinburgh Film Festival
- Booklet with new writing from Vic Pratt and Dylan Cave, plus full film credits

tojoed

Re: Long Shot

#2 Post by tojoed » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:53 am

It certainly is rare. I saw it when it first came out when, I think, Maurice Hatton had the title "Film maker in residence". I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:50 am

Never heard of it, but it and the extras sound intriguing!

jlnight

#4 Post by jlnight » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:10 am

A solitary screening on Channel 4 in 1985, I wonder if this paves the way for Praise Marx and Pass the Ammunition as another Flipside (which itself was shown the following week).

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 24, 2017 8:24 am

Full specs announced:
BFI Flipside presents
Long Shot
A film by Maurice Hatton

Dual Format Edition release on 26 June 2017

Rarely seen in the past 40 years, the latest BFI Flipside title marks the first ever home entertainment release of this slice of Scottish cinema in which two low budget filmmakers attempt to talk up some finance in a brilliantly barbed movie-biz satire, played out against the backdrop of the 1977 Edinburgh Film Festival.

Shot for next to nothing on short-end scraps of black and white stock, this deadpan verité-style comedy drama follows director Charlie (Charles Gormley) and scriptwriter Neville (Neville Smith) on the hunt for cash, cast and ‘name director’ Sam Fuller to shoot their Aberdeen-set oil-boom adventure ‘Gulf and Western’.

Along the way they encounter a plethora of filmmaking luminaries including Wim Wenders, Stephen Frears, John Boorman, Bill Forsyth and Alan Bennett.

Long Shot is the 34th release from the BFI Flipside label, which rescues weird and wonderful British films from obscurity and presents them in new high quality editions on DVD and Blu-ray.

Special features

• Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
Scene Nun, Take One (Maurice Hatton, 1964, 26 mins): London-set comedy short starring Susannah York
Hooray for Holyrood (Ross Wilson, 1986, 38 mins): Scottish Television film celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Edinburgh Film Festival, presented by Robbie Coltrane
Sean Connery's Edinburgh (1982, 28 mins): Promotional film starring the iconic actor
• Booklet with new writing from Bill Forsyth, Dylan Cave (BFI), Vic Pratt (BFI) and full film credits

Product details

RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1287 / Cert 12 / BFI Flipside No. 034
UK /1978 / black and white, colour / 84 mins / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.33:1
BD50: 1080p, 24fps, 1.0 PCM mono (48kHz/24-bit)
DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 1.0 mono (192kbps)
...and here's a newly-created trailer

Aunt Peg

#6 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat May 27, 2017 1:56 am

jlnight wrote:A solitary screening on Channel 4 in 1985, I wonder if this paves the way for Praise Marx and Pass the Ammunition as another Flipside (which itself was shown the following week).
Really looking forward to finally seeing The Long Shot and Praise Marx... is high on my to see list.

Hopefully the likes of Nightshift (1981) directed by Robina Rose, Maeve (1983) directed by Pat Murphy & Negatives (1986) directed by Peter Medak can also find their way to DVD/Blu Ray via Flipside or as general BFI releases.

charal

#7 Post by charal » Sat May 27, 2017 6:27 am

Negatives (1968) is an interesting film. Another overlooked classic I'd like to see is STEVIE (with Glenda Jackson) it was available on vhs (as was NEGATIVES) but no dvd ever. Does BFI have the rights?

Aunt Peg

#8 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun May 28, 2017 2:25 am

charal wrote:Negatives (1968) is an interesting film. Another overlooked classic I'd like to see is STEVIE (with Glenda Jackson) it was available on vhs (as was NEGATIVES) but no dvd ever. Does BFI have the rights?
Stevie is high on my wish-list and would fit in very nicely as a BFI release.