Queerama

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Dr Amicus

Queerama

#1 Post by Dr Amicus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:13 am

Queerama is a film created from the treasure trove that is the BFI National Archive. The story traverses a century of gay experiences, encompassing persecution and prosecution, injustice, love and desire, identity, secrets, forbidden encounters, sexual liberation and pride. The soundtrack weaves the lyrics and music of John Grant and Hercules & Love Affair with the images, and guides us intimately into the relationship, desires, fears and expressions of gay men and women in the 20th Century – a century of incredible change. Starting with the first gay relationship on film released in 1919, Different from the Others, Queerama weaves its way through the decades from unknown newsreel and amateur film from the 20s and 30s, to the sexual liberation of the 00s queer and transgender scene and the chemsex, gay parenting and marriage campaign of recent years.

Extra Features:
Q&A with Daisy Asquith (2017, 8 mins): director Daisy Asquith in conversation with BFI curator Simon McCallum
This Week: Homosexuals (James Butler, 1964, 23 mins)
This Week: Lesbians (John Phillips, 1964, 23 mins)
Ballad of Reading Gaol (Richard Kwietniowski, 1988, 12 mins)
Rosebud (Cheryl Farthing, 1991, 14 mins)

Dr Amicus

Re: Queerama

#2 Post by Dr Amicus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:31 am

This seems to have been missed, I don't have the DVD but did catch this from the BBC's screening. This is another of the BFI's mix-films where a director and musician(s) collaborate on re-edited footage from the archives. My main problem with it was that I recognised a lot of the footage, kept trying to identify it, and then would lose the rhythm of the film. My favourite of these to date has been Penny Woolcock's From the Sea to the Land Beyond, but this is another fine entry in the series.

manicsounds

Re: Queerama

#3 Post by manicsounds » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:34 am

The booklet has a list of all the films used.