BFI (British Film Institute)

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

swo17

Re: BFI (British Film Institute)

#1226 Post by swo17 » Wed May 21, 2014 5:49 pm

swo17 wrote:So the BFI Filmstore used to stock all kinds of obscure DVDs from foreign boutique labels like Re:voir, Lux, BAA, etc. But when I go to the site now, it looks like all that they have are BFI DVDs. Was this a recent policy change? If DVDs from other labels are still available, does anyone know where they can be found?
I don't know how long this has been there, but I found an answer to my question on the BFI's website:
As we develop the online BFI shop, we have had to temporarily take down the artists’ film and video section, however we remain as dedicated as ever to providing customers with a comprehensive and diverse range of film and video works by artists!

Our range covers canonical works and avant-garde classics by Maya Deren, Kenneth Anger, Michael Snow or Kurt Kren; influential British artists working in film and video like Lis Rhodes, Malcolm Le Grice, Nicky Hamlyn, Sarah Pucill and last year’s Jarman Prize winner John Smith, to a younger generation of artists working with the moving image such as Emily Richardson, Ben Rivers, Shezad Dawood and Eija-Liisa Ahtila.

The BFI Shop stocks all new releases and selected back catalogue titles from DVD publishers like LUX, Re-Voir, Index DVD Edition, Lowave, Filmarmalade, RGB, JPR Ringier, as well as the Crossovers series produced by the Live Art Development Agency and a large number of DVD and books published by internationally renowned publishers.

Until we are ready with the new-look section, we will be happy to take your orders direct via 020 7815 1350 or bfishop@bfi.org.uk
Although I did just try to email that address and got an instant "delivery failure" notification.

L.A.

#1227 Post by L.A. » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:12 am

MichaelB

#1228 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:56 am

Sam Dunn, head of BFI Video Publishing for the last six years (and the man primarily responsible for the Flipside strand) is giving a talk with the self-explanatory title 'The BFI Video Story' at the BFI Reuben Library on London's South Bank on Monday December 15th at 6.30.

More details here.

EddieLarkin

#1229 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:51 am

BFI to release a 4 film Carl Theodor Dreyer Blu-ray Box Set in Spring 2015, featuring Master of the House, Day of Wrath, Ordet, Gertrud, and a selection of shorts.

I've been wondering how 2015 was going to top 2014 for catalog releases. Now, I think I know.

TMDaines

#1230 Post by TMDaines » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:21 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:BFI to release a 4 film Carl Theodor Dreyer Blu-ray Box Set in Spring 2015, featuring Master of the House, Day of Wrath, Ordet, Gertrud, and a selection of shorts.

I've been wondering how 2015 was going to top 2014 for catalog releases. Now, I think I know.
Only this week I was lamenting the treatment that Master of the House received on what I assumed would be its one and only Blu-ray release.

Please, please, please give us Danish intertitles on this one, BFI. There is a mass of silent film aficionados that would be delighted.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1231 Post by Drucker » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:34 pm

Just watched Ordet for the first time in 5 years. In the interim, I became a devoted fan, watched all of his other films, read Dreyer In Double Reflection and finished My Only Great Passion this past week. Dreyer's genius is something I could ramble on about, but other, smarter people have done it better than I can.

Ordet truly is his masterpiece, and I'm hoping to jot down my thoughts today, but it's hard to write what I so strongly felt. And of course, feeling is what drives these films.

Jumping for joy, honestly, at the prospect of this.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1232 Post by Drucker » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Seriously, I literally finished Ordet not 40 minutes ago, came on the computer, and read this news. It's like something out of Ordet.

TMDaines

#1233 Post by TMDaines » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:54 pm

TMDaines wrote:
EddieLarkin wrote:BFI to release a 4 film Carl Theodor Dreyer Blu-ray Box Set in Spring 2015, featuring Master of the House, Day of Wrath, Ordet, Gertrud, and a selection of shorts.

Only this week I was lamenting the treatment that Master of the House received on what I assumed would be its one and only Blu-ray release.

Please, please, please give us Danish intertitles on this one, BFI. There is a mass of silent film aficionados that would be delighted.
BFI won't have Danish intertitles on their Master of the House Blu-ray: twitter.

Aunt Peg

#1234 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:32 am

Just read in the recent edition of Film Comment that the BFI are restoring Derek Jarman's Sebastian.

Could that mean a Blu Ray or DVD release sometime in the future?

colinr0380

#1235 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:33 am

I certainly hope so! I guess this means that Second Sight do not have the rights to it any more? It would be great timing and an essential, if eye popping, watch for the upcoming Faith Film Project!

antnield

#1236 Post by antnield » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:33 am

EddieLarkin

#1237 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:16 pm

The three new box sets have now dropped to reasonble prices on Amazon: £21.50 for Chaplin, £36 for Morrison and £43.25 for Dreyer.

Minkin

#1238 Post by Minkin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:42 pm

MichaelB wrote: Here's a Health to the Barley Mow and Roll Out the Barrel.
Speaking of which - are there any plans for future similar sets? Weren't these created after the government pulled funding for a giant set of films to represent every British county? I suppose the bicycle set is fairly close, but I've really enjoyed both of these - and had always hoped for more (sets covering various local traditions and culture).

Erik Morton

#1239 Post by Erik Morton » Wed May 13, 2015 5:05 pm

It's now been a year since the last Flipside release. Has the series been discontinued?

rapta

#1240 Post by rapta » Thu May 14, 2015 12:12 pm

Erik Morton wrote:It's now been a year since the last Flipside release. Has the series been discontinued?
Can't find the exact quote from the BFI but somebody asked them this and they basically said "keep your eyes peeled for some more later this year" (or something to that effect).

Erik Morton

#1241 Post by Erik Morton » Thu May 14, 2015 12:19 pm

rapta wrote:
Erik Morton wrote:It's now been a year since the last Flipside release. Has the series been discontinued?
Can't find the exact quote from the BFI but somebody asked them this and they basically said "keep your eyes peeled for some more later this year" (or something to that effect).
Good to hear! If nothing else, I hope they finish their releases of Gerry O'Hara's "trilogy" with The Brute (1977).

TMDaines

#1242 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:42 am

The BFI is really on a killer run at this point. Could have done with some other silents, but another raft of Blu-ray firsts coming.

GaryC

#1243 Post by GaryC » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:57 am

I'm reliably informed that they will be announcing their releases for the rest of this year tomorrow. Though judging by some of the threads here, titles are already appearing on Amazon for pre-order.

neilist

#1244 Post by neilist » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:33 am

GaryC wrote:I'm reliably informed that they will be announcing their releases for the rest of this year tomorrow. Though judging by some of the threads here, titles are already appearing on Amazon for pre-order.
Further to those appearing yesterday, Clouzot's 'The Wages Of Fear' (Limied Edition Dual Format), Hoellering's version of T.S. Eliot's 'Murder in the Cathedral' (Limied Edition Dual Format), 'Make More Noise: Suffragettes in Silent Film' (DVD) and 'Children's Film Foundation Collection: Masters of Venus' (DVD) have all gone up today.

MichaelB

#1245 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:10 am

Here's the full statement, complete with links to all the relevant Criterion Forum discussions.
This autumn the BFI will release a wide range of titles with acclaimed classics of world cinema, including Luchino Visconti’s Rocco and His Brothers and Henri-Georges Clouzot’s The Wages of Fear, a Pier Paolo Pasolini Blu-ray collection, film noir masterpieces by Otto Preminger and Jules Dassin, celebrated British TV documentaries and a selection of recent theatrical releases.

September

September kicks off with the Otto Preminger Film Noir Collection (1945-50) on Limited Edition Blu-ray, a three-disc box set featuring Fallen Angel, Whirlpool and Where the Sidewalk Ends. The film noir theme continues with Night and the City (1950), Jules Dassin’s London-set baroque masterpiece of crime and corruption.

2015 marks the centenary of the controversial, yet extremely significant silent drama, The Birth of a Nation (1915) by D.W. Griffith. This re-mastered release follows the Griffith summer season at BFI Southbank.

We celebrate Halloween with DVD re-releases of chilling titles Sleepwalker (Saxon Logan, 1984), The Black Panther (Ian Merrick, 1977), BBC TV’s Schalcken the Painter (1979) and on Blu-ray is Nosferatu (F.W. Murnau, 1922), the much imitated adaptation of Dracula.

October

This autumn is the 40th anniversary of the untimely death of controversial writer and filmmaker Pier Paolo Pasolini. To mark the occasion the BFI is re-releasing six of Pasolini’s most widely renowned films together in the Pasolini Blu-ray Collection (1968-1975) – Medea, Theorem, Salò, or The 120 Days of Sodom and his Trilogy of Life (Decameron, The Canterbury Tales and Arabian Nights). The BFI is also thrilled to announce the release of Abel Ferrara’s Pasolini (2014), starring Willem Dafoe, on both Blu-ray and DVD, following its theatrical release on 11 September.

Also out in October is the DVD premiere of The Children’s Film Foundation Sci-Fi drama Masters of Venus (1962); the Richard Hawley scored Love is All (2014), director Kim Longinotto’s collage of a hundred years of love and courtship on the silver screen, and Ousmane Sembène’s Black Girl / Borom Sarret (1966), one of the founding works of African cinema.

November

November sees the release of Murder in the Cathedral (1952), George Hoellering’s film adaptation of the classic verse drama by T.S. Eliot featuring music by László Lajtha and the voice of the writer himself, and Make More Noise! Suffragettes in Silent Film (1899-1917). Released to complement Sarah Gavron’s forthcoming feature film Suffragette (2015), the collection compiles over 20 silent films from the BFI National Archive, combining gloriously anarchic comedies, newsreels and documentaries with a specially commissioned score by Lillian Henley. It presents a fascinating insight into the early 20th Century struggle for women’s suffrage.

The month also sees the releases of Luchino Visconti’s neorealist classic Rocco and His Brothers (1960), featuring a young Claudia Cardinale and an acclaimed score by composer Nino Rota (The Godfather, The Leopard) and Henri-Georges Clouzot’s nail-biting thriller The Wages of Fear (1954), on Limited Edition Dual-Format.

To coincide with the BFI Southbank TV Documentaries season, we will release two collections of documentaries from the BBC and ITV. Visions of Change Volume One: The BBC (1951-67) and Visions of Change Volume Two: ITV (1958-1967), bringing together the work of renowned film-makers including Ken Russell and Peter Morley, to give an insight into the rapidly changing British culture of the time.

You can see the picture gallery of some of the new packshots on the BFI website here:
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news ... utumn-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More details on each release and review copy availability will be sent out in due course.

What A Disgrace

#1246 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:09 am

So, with no Flipside titles this year, and several getting released on DVD only editions, is the Flipside label at an end?

EddieLarkin

#1247 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:29 am

What A Disgrace wrote:So, with no Flipside titles this year, and several getting released on DVD only editions, is the Flipside label at an end?
No. Some credible speculation here.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1248 Post by tenia » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:46 am

I can confirm the Flipside will come back at some point, but the BFI prefers to remain silent on the collection for now.

longstone

#1249 Post by longstone » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:53 am

Still no news on the missing Ozu titles either ?

antnield

#1250 Post by antnield » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:36 pm