Blu-ray, in General

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
knives

Re: Blu-ray, in General

#2476 Post by knives » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:48 pm

It replaces the score with the Cinemax tag music.

Perkins Cobb

#2477 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:02 pm

domino harvey wrote:Patriot's Day has a separate audio track for "late night viewing"-- is this just the regular audio with loud parts turned down?
Mark Wahlberg screams "Fawk you, quit banging on my wall" every few minutes.

Ribs

#2478 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:11 pm

domino harvey wrote:Patriot's Day has a separate audio track for "late night viewing"-- is this just the regular audio with loud parts turned down?
La La Land, another Lionsgate release, will be doing the same, in case you want to drown out the explosions and gunfire.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2479 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:17 pm

[muffled jazz music playing in the distance]

TMDaines

#2480 Post by TMDaines » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:09 am

I've calibrated my 5.1 speakers and Denon receiver with the Audyssey feature and you would struggle to be able to sit in the room with the sound at reference level with most modern films. I usually have it at least -10dB on the relative volume scale.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2481 Post by tenia » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:40 am

"Late night viewing" tracks simply have a compressed dynamic, something that amps have the option to perform by themselves through DRC (Dynamic Range Compression). I know Yamaha amps have it, I believe many amps also do.

It probably turns high volume elements down (explosions, screams, yells, etc) but also can turn low volume elements up (whispered dialogues, for instance).

In theory, you might get a flatter track, something with a much lower dynamic (which would be seen as a negative point on a regular track where high dynamic range is expected) but in practice, the idea is simply not to have to play with the remote, while also having to cope with the lower listening volume (which is usually detrimental to the whole listening experience in HT).

In some respect, Loudness war's results aren't supposedly very different : in the end, you also get a flat track.
TMDaines wrote:I've calibrated my 5.1 speakers and Denon receiver with the Audyssey feature and you would struggle to be able to sit in the room with the sound at reference level with most modern films. I usually have it at least -10dB on the relative volume scale.
I attended to a HT demo a few years ago (4K JVC projector + 11.4 setup), performed at reference level. Almost every single attendee debriefed the technical team by saying it simply was too loud. The technical team really emphasised they weren't looking to do the demo at anything else than reference level, as if it was a key part of their technical philosophy, but it seemed to be simply wrong. I'm unsure about what was the volume where I sat, but I suppose it was above 100 dB. I don't think it's adequate at all.

TMDaines

#2482 Post by TMDaines » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:51 am

I wonder if it is psychological. If you're in a cinema listening at reference level, the room is physically bigger and there's less a sense of claustrophobia.

movielocke

#2483 Post by movielocke » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:52 pm

I thought reference level was 70 dB? which is still 10 to 20 higher than I ever listen to anything. I remember when I first got an HT back in the early days of DVD, I'd play people some discs at reference level and everyone hated the loudness. In the home, Most walls are reflective rather than absorbent which makes it worse

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2484 Post by tenia » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:05 pm

I believe it's supposed to be 80 dB.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2485 Post by tenia » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 pm

(If needed, please transfer this in the Infighting section. I considered posting there straight away, but I can't create a new thread there).

In the very recent past, I found myself stuck trying to explain a technical limitation perceived on a BD release to various French independent label. The points tackled ranged from degraining movies and wrongly encoding them in 1080i to poor compression or unexplained different tone of the French dub compared to the original one.

What I’m getting frustrated by and growing more and more angry is how these labels seems content with putting approximative products on the market, while at the same time violently reacting to customer feedback, no matter how technically illustrated it can be. In many cases, the responses to these technical remarks were “you must have invented the HD itself to spot such minute differences”, "you're probably the kind of persons who goes into a fancy restaurant but still want to give advices to the Chef" or “What are your line of work to say such things ? Are you an encoder ? Have you ever worked directly with film ?”

While I certainly can understand how these labels cannot make the differences between knowledgeable and less knowledgeable customers / reviewers (and how some customers truly are complaining about unfair or even untrue things), and while I also can understand how even knowledgeable people can have many things left to learn, it’s getting increasingly difficult to make specific technical remarks to these labels without them quickly resorting to such shenanigans and try to alienate these customers or reviewers feedback.

I don’t mind being told I’m wrong, or being told that I’m nitpicking, but I mind being told I’m as a whole a stupid worthless customer who doesn’t know crap and trust too much the Internet when my sources often involves some very renowned people from the industry.
Or, my favourite “only 2 people complained so who cares even if they could provide screencaps and time codes as exemples”.

I wanted to share this here in order to understand if this is a very French thing or if other people around here faced the same issues, despite making a legitimately objectively backed case of what they were observing.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2486 Post by Drucker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Are the blu-rays in the new Christopher Nolan 4k/UHD package also new transfers? It seems like it based on the BD.com review but wanted to confirm.

Ribs

#2487 Post by Ribs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:40 pm

I can only speak for the Inception disc but the answer for that one is negative.

hearthesilence

#2489 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:55 am

Was wondering about this the other day:
Forbes wrote:Also, while the film industry still claims to be happy with 4K Blu-ray's rate of uptake, the latest disc sales stats for the US show 4K Blu-rays accounting for just 5.3% of sales, while DVD - yes, DVD - still claims 57.9%.

flyonthewall2983

#2490 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:54 pm

Across the board 5-star review for the new 4K release of Black Hawk Down. Very glad this retained all the extras from the 3-disc DVD.

FrauBlucher

#2491 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Does anyone have the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes' MPI boxset? Is it worth a purchase?

Feego

#2492 Post by Feego » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:25 pm

I have the Sherlock Holmes set. I haven't made my way through it, but I watched the first three movies. The Hound of the Baskervilles is fun and a generally good adaptation. I'm not as fond of the followup, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, but Rathbone has a great musical number in disguise! The films look very good, and some films have commentaries. If you can find the set at a reasonable price, I think it's worth the purchase. I picked up my copy from Amazon on Black Friday several years ago for $35.

Ribs

#2493 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:59 pm

Quick thought experiment: now that Roman Holiday and Bringing Up Baby have finally appeared (along with stuff like Shop Around The Corner and the major Fellini titles finally appearing), what is the most inexplicable remaining movie not to have been released on a real Blu-ray (meaning not some weird semi-legal Spanish release?) I was looking over lists like Sight & Sound and Letterboxd's most popular by decade and it takes quite a bit of scrolling to get to anything that's not gotten a release.

Some things that came to mind:
-Freaks
-Johnny Guitar
-Mr & Mrs. Smith
-Serpico (in US)
-Paper Moon (in US)

It's really ultimately become a rapidly shrinking list of the movies that I have the gut feeling *will have* to get released eventually as opposed to movies that *might* get released in the market continues as it currently is.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#2494 Post by soundchaser » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:01 pm

Johnny Guitar has several releases from Olive. Unless you mean in the UK?

Ribs

#2495 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:04 pm

Whoops, I literally forgot those existed, I literally was looking at them earlier this week, my mistake! Haha.

Timec
Spencer Tracy had it coming

#2496 Post by Timec » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm

I don't know if they fit in the same category as those other titles, but there are quite a few major silent films that are still unavailable - even on DVD. I feel like I've been waiting for official releases of The Crowd, Greed, and The Wind for as long as I've been into movies.

Back when Warner did those Q&As with HTF in the mid-00s, I remember they'd always respond that they had "plans" for those titles. They've got to show up eventually... right?

JSC

#2497 Post by JSC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:23 pm

If we're just talking about Hollywood films, these spring to mind since I've held onto the DVDs until they appear on blu-ray.

Angels with Dirty Faces
The Roaring Twenties
High Sierra
Arsenic and Old Lace
Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939 version)
The Nun's Story
Night of the Iguana
Adam's Rib
Petulia
Carnal Knowledge
All of the Astaire Rodgers musicals (except Swing Time)
A Night at the Opera / A Day at the Races

mteller

#2498 Post by mteller » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:41 pm

Ordinary People

FrauBlucher

#2499 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:52 pm

WB has many, unfortunately.... Stage Door, I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, plus other Muni films and David Copperfield

Saturnome

#2500 Post by Saturnome » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:07 pm

I think there is a release of Ordinary People somewhere? Not in North America though.
Timec wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm
I feel like I've been waiting for official releases of The Crowd, Greed, and The Wind for as long as I've been into movies.
Same. The absence of the big MGM silents is what's making me go crazy. The bigger they are, the less available they are. I've stopped expecting any future release now. Get your Ben-Hur as a bonus feature and be happy I guess