Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
HarryLong

Re: Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

#226 Post by HarryLong » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:23 am

domino harvey wrote:My "I Love the 80s" edition of Ordinary People felt really heavy, and upon opening it I discovered a CD of 80s songs was helpfully included. Nothing like "Lips Like Sugar" and "Need You Tonight" to compliment the film
When I get home I'm going to have to dig my copy of REDS out of the kevyip & see what kind of CD collection has been included...

HistoryProf

#227 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:56 am

fdm wrote:
knives wrote:Here's a nice place to start/ continue any discussion though it might not be of much help for new information: http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtop ... e+electric" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think that was quite what he had in mind. :)
considering there's like 2 posts on the actual movie...no, not terribly helpful - but i tried to at least open it back up to the actual film ;)

Zumpano

#228 Post by Zumpano » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:17 pm

Can someone make the case for "Save The Tiger" for me? I've never seen it, a friend says he loves it, and need a push to finally pull the trigger...

tojoed

#229 Post by tojoed » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:27 am

Zumpano wrote:Can someone make the case for "Save The Tiger" for me?
I'd be surprised if they could.

Frankinho007

#230 Post by Frankinho007 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:16 am

No, it's not April 1st today but Paramount is releasing a catalog title in November:

William A. Fraker's Monte Walsh (1970) with Lee Marvin will be released on November 16:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.a ... #topoftabs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Howard Roark

#231 Post by Howard Roark » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:37 am

The spine has the hideous CBS eye on it

Matt

#232 Post by Matt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:44 am

Oh brother, what could possibly be wrong with the CBS eye? It's a classic logo.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#233 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Finally, a real western

TechNoir

#234 Post by TechNoir » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:03 pm

I didn't know for all of these years I have been watching fake western films. Shame on me.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#235 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Some of these titles are already reaching meltdown status. $50+ for a USED copy of No Way to Treat a Lady?! Christ, I'm not going to miss it that much at that price, SOLD

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#236 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:23 pm

As discovered in the OOP thread, Amazon is selling a bunch of Paramount OOP titles for inflated but somewhat reasonable prices. Search for desired titles, because there are a couple deals around-- Aldrich's (awful) Hustle is in stock and only $7.49 right now-- it was selling for $50+ new this summer when the news broke. Man, I'd hate to be the sucker who bought that

kneelzod

#237 Post by kneelzod » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:34 pm

I didn't think HUSTLE was awful, but even if I did, I only paid $3 for it at Big Lots a couple months ago AND there were more where that came from. MANY of these Paramount titles can be found at Big Lots.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#238 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Going through these dozens of Paramounts that I've picked up since the dark days of last summer, it's a double-edged sword: It's sad that these films are disappearing, but on the other hand, due to their scarcity, I've seen a lot of films I wouldn't ordinarily have sought out. It's still real sad to realize there will soon be a world that will never know that Elizabeth McGovern was QT Central in Racing With the Moon, will never experience ace play adaptations like the Matchmaker and Detective Story, will never witness the genius that occurs when Lewis meets Tashlin, and so on. Also, Paramount's DVDs have uniformly excellent picture quality for (one time) budget studio releases. With WB and MGM slowly going the same direction, now's the time to eulogize these victims before the big wave of destruction hits...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#239 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:56 pm

I don't know how widespread this is, but Barnes and Noble had a little $4.99 section with a bunch of OOP Paramounts and I was shocked to see like five copies of Racing With the Moon and was going to pick up an extra copy for future gift purposes when I noticed that despite being sealed, the security tape was doubled over and the case dirty... is Barnes and Noble really so effed that they've turned into Hollywood Video, selling used DVDs?

dx23

#240 Post by dx23 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:48 am

domino harvey wrote:I don't know how widespread this is, but Barnes and Noble had a little $4.99 section with a bunch of OOP Paramounts and I was shocked to see like five copies of Racing With the Moon and was going to pick up an extra copy for future gift purposes when I noticed that despite being sealed, the security tape was doubled over and the case dirty... is Barnes and Noble really so effed that they've turned into Hollywood Video, selling used DVDs?
It's the first time I hear of what you are talking at B&N, since I haven't seen them sell used stuff in the B&M stores. On that note, Racing With the Moon seems to be another of those Paramount DVDs that has quietly come back in print.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#241 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Knives has alerted me to the fact that some OOP Paramounts are in stock and very cheap at Amazon. Now's the time to jump on these titles, as they were getting pretty well gouged before and no doubt will be once these are sold out (and if spot more, let us know in this thread):

Direct from Amazon
A New Kind of Love
A Place in the Sun
Alfie
Barefoot in the Park
the Bridges at Toko-Ri
Catch 22
Dead Again
Elizabethtown
the Great Gatsby
the Greatest Show on Earth
Gunfight at the OK Corral
Hell is For Heroes
Hud
Hustle
It's All True
Last Train from Gun Hill
Marathon Man
Murder on the Orient Express
Nashville
Nevada Smith
Oh What a Lovely War!
Ordinary People
Paper Moon
the President's Analyst
Pretty Baby
(OOS now-- worth a shot, though)
Prophecy
Racing With the Moon
Real Life
Romeo and Juliet (68)
Save the Tiger
Some Kind of Wonderful
Stalag 17
Starting Over
3 Days of the Condor Blu-ray
the Virgin Suicides
Will Penny
(OOS-- worth a shot)
Wonder Boys

New via Third Party and Prime-Eligible
Copper Canyon
the Country Girl
Fear Strikes Out
Half a Sixpence
Hot Pursuit
the Hours
Margot at the Wedding
Northfork
the Rainmaker
Reds Blu-ray
She's Having a Baby
Three Violent People
Last edited by domino harvey on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#242 Post by Brian C » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:53 am

The Blu-rays for Reds and Three Days of the Condor are both in stock also, with the latter being very cheap.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#243 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks, updated the list with those and about a dozen more titles I spied

fdm

#244 Post by fdm » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:47 am

There's also some relatively reasonable third party options left for Indecent Exposure, Paycheck and Zodiac blu-rays.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#245 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:22 pm

I believe the Zodiac Blu-ray that's "reasonable" is actually the inferior R2 (tho region-free) Blu

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#246 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Was just alerted via PM that a few of these once-OOP titles are in fact back in print according to Michael's Movie Madness database-- might be worth checking interested titles first, but the vast majority of Paramount titles listed above remain OOP

dustybooks

#247 Post by dustybooks » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 pm

This is pretty odd, and it's hard to know what to make of it. Going through the Michael's database I find the following from Domino's list show as in print:

A Place in the Sun
Alfie
Barefoot in the Park
the Bridges at Toko-Ri
Catch 22
Elizabethtown
the Great Gatsby
the Greatest Show on Earth
Gunfight at the OK Corral
Hell is For Heroes
Hud
Hustle
Marathon Man
Murder on the Orient Express
Nashville
Nevada Smith
Ordinary People
Paper Moon
Prophecy
Real Life
Romeo and Juliet (68)
Some Kind of Wonderful
Stalag 17
Starting Over
3 Days of the Condor Blu-ray
Wonder Boys
Northfork
the Rainmaker

A couple of them are shown in "value editions"; I have no idea what that means.

Not all of these are in stock at Amazon and/or Deepdiscount, but some of them are. Whether this means anything I don't know, but this is generally a very reliable database and I can vouch that the information does change constantly -- I'm 90% sure I looked up It's All True within the last two months and it was listed as discontinued.

I wouldn't hesitate on picking up these titles when/if you can, simply because the situation seems to be so unpredictable. I'm ordering Real Life as soon as I get home.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#248 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Almost exactly matches up with the Available Direct from Amazon list. These were all mos def OOP a few years ago when this thread started and some were quite pricy (Stalag, Real Life come to mind). Good news, but shows what a lottery these titles were-- the ones that stayed OOP are going for ridic amounts still ($80 for the Court Jester?!)

dustybooks

#249 Post by dustybooks » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:15 pm

The wonderful Play It Again Sam was also fetching $90 on ebay a few months ago, though there appear to be a few cheaper third-party copies at Amazon right now.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#250 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:23 pm

I was very lucky to find a mislabeled the World of Suzie Wong for under $15 back when this hoopla started and I see it's now going toward $70. We're No Angels is a little below $80. The Matchmaker is hovering below $50 (my biggest miss when this mess began). Ragtime, Branded, the Tenant, Come Back, Little Sheba, and Teacher's Pet are in the thirties, and Warning Shot's about to be there. And of course the Lewis and Martin sets are more ridiculously expensive than ever-- $100 for the Tashlin one and twice that for the other one (can't believe I sold mine for a mere $100)!