Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

#201 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:47 pm

I thought these "I Love the 80s" editions were just repackaging, but no, they've actually edited the film slightly. The line where Timothy Hutton tells Elizabeth McGovern that he listens to modern jazz has been looped to say "'Take On Me' by A-Ha"

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#202 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:50 pm

Ordinary fuckin' people.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#203 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks to DVDAf's search collection by studio, I've just figured out how many Paramount DVDs I've bought in the last couple weeks. It's, uh, a lot more than I started with

HistoryProf

#204 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:06 pm

went to a different B&N than the two i've been to already here and as I was walking towards the Criterions I peripherally noticed a familiar cover....for Harold and Maude! :)

didn't find anything else, but a good example to check them out beyond the criterion sale when you go in.

wattsup32

#205 Post by wattsup32 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:56 am

HistoryProf wrote:went to a different B&N than the two i've been to already here and as I was walking towards the Criterions I peripherally noticed a familiar cover....for Harold and Maude! :)

didn't find anything else, but a good example to check them out beyond the criterion sale when you go in.
Amen to that! During this sale I've snagged two copies of Harold and Maude, and one each of Hud, Nashville, Ordinary people, the Wenders box, a couple Paramount Centennials, and a few more I just can't think of at 4am. I never would have looked for them if I weren't putzing around in BN while looking for Criterions. And, for some reason, each of them save the Wenders box has been on sale for at least 30% off, to boot!

oldsheperd

#206 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Still managed to find Bloody Sunday for a decent price so I'm happy.

oldsheperd

#207 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Too bad I sold my copy of The Duellists. Seems like that was a disc that was rare. And whoever bought my copy of The Conformist on this site: You're Welcome. Ah hell, at least I still have Seconds, The Tenant Miracle of Morgan's Creek and Parallax View.

HarryLong

#208 Post by HarryLong » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:14 pm

LexG wrote:Been discovered this for myself: I was revisited a lot of Polanski movies, and wanted to pick up CHINATOWN, ROSEMARY'S BAY, and THE TENANT, which for whatever reasons I'd never purchased.
If there's a Big Lots in your area, check it out. I bought all three at mine.

HistoryProf

#209 Post by HistoryProf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:18 pm

I set foot into a Blockbuster for the first time in many years tonight since it was my only option for a tv show the wife wanted and Just happened to glance at a pre-viewed table full of $4 for $20 stuff...mostly crap, but low and behold The Tin Star is staring at me. There were a few other OOP Paramounts that i already had, and a bit of poking around turned up a Dardenne Bros. disc (L'Enfant) and In the Electric Mist...grabbed The Escapist to fill it out.

So as painful as it may be, it is worth looking anyway. I've never been happier to have been sent on a stupid errand. ;)

knives

#210 Post by knives » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:29 pm

You'll regret In the Electric Mist as the US edit is terrible.

Alphonse Doinel

#211 Post by Alphonse Doinel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:00 pm

HistoryProf wrote:So as painful as it may be, it is worth looking anyway. I've never been happier to have been sent on a stupid errand.
I haven't rented in years, but I love their pre-viewed section. Plenty of jewels in the rough to be found in there.

HistoryProf

#212 Post by HistoryProf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:10 pm

knives wrote:You'll regret In the Electric Mist as the US edit is terrible.
i've been wanting to see it, it was $5, and it was that or one of the 429 copies of the Saw movies or some other direct to video garbage. There just wasn't anything else i could find. I'm sure it's worth a watch at least.

Frances

#213 Post by Frances » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:05 am

When you say "pretty much every Paramount dvd is oop" you mean R1, right?

Le Samouraï

#214 Post by Le Samouraï » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:06 am

Yes. The massive termination of studio releases does not seem to affect their European counterparts (if they exist).

Jonathan S

#215 Post by Jonathan S » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:38 am

I think the deletions are just slower - Wyler's Detective Story and Desperate Hours have already gone OOP here in the UK, while others deleted in R1 are still available. Grab any you want while you can!

Matt

#216 Post by Matt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:30 am

Frances wrote:When you say "pretty much every Paramount dvd is oop" you mean R1, right?
Everything in this "DVD and Blu-ray News and Discussions" area of the forum pertains to R1/North America.

HarryLong

#217 Post by HarryLong » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:05 am

david hare wrote:Trust me, the movie's too good to be wrecked by a viewing of the US edit. I think it's one of Tavernier's best.
Have you seen the US edit. Consensus is that it's awful.
Granted I haven't yet seen it myself - I can barely kep up with what I need to watch for my own writing deadlines - but I passed it on to a reviewer for one of my magazines & he trashed it.

Killerinstinct

#218 Post by Killerinstinct » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:49 am

Anyone, do you know if THE 80's series delivers the latest (remastered) edition of whatever title, or does Paramount generally supply the initial DVD transfer of a movie? I'm especially interested in the specifics of WITNESS(judging by The Beaver's caps, I'm inclined to prefer the first DVD incarnation). Any help much appreciated!
domino harvey wrote:I thought these "I Love the 80s" editions
were just repackaging, but no, they've actually edited the film slightly. The line where Timothy Hutton tells Elizabeth McGovern that he listens to modern jazz has been looped to say "'Take On Me' by A-Ha"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#219 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:32 pm

They're repackaging of the initial Paramount discs, with somewhat altered cover-art

atcolomb

#220 Post by atcolomb » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:54 pm

TCM- HD did broadcast "The Parallax View" this morning....but not 16X9 format ..just letterboxed with in a 4X3 area. Do not know why it did not fill my screen..was hoping to see a nice HD copy of the film. They did show Beatty's "Ishtar" in 16x9 format.....

HistoryProf

#221 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:01 am

david hare wrote:Trust me, the movie's too good to be wrecked by a viewing of the US edit. I think it's one of Tavernier's best.
i don't want to further hijack the thread, but can you point me to a discussion of this or a review that explains the difference between the two versions? I had heard mixed things about it, but this is the first I knew of two different versions. would love to know the full story.

knives

#222 Post by knives » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:05 am

Here's a nice place to start/ continue any discussion though it might not be of much help for new information: http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtop ... e+electric" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by knives on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

fdm

#223 Post by fdm » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:06 am

HistoryProf wrote:
i don't want to further hijack the thread, but can you point me to a discussion of this or a review that explains the difference between the two versions? I had heard mixed things about it, but this is the first I knew of two different versions. would love to know the full story.
dvdbeaver

fdm

#224 Post by fdm » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:11 am

knives wrote:Here's a nice place to start/ continue any discussion though it might not be of much help for new information: http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtop ... e+electric" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think that was quite what he had in mind. :)

knives

#225 Post by knives » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:13 am

Yeah, it wasn't until I posted that link did I realize nothing had been said in that thread and it was too late to delete by the time I did notice. Good for if he feels more comfortable discussing there I guess, though.