The OOP Heads-Up Thread

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#76 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:21 pm

The transfers really are as bad as everyone said. And several of the movies are interlaced! I can't imagine these will be out of circulation for long, so I'd hold out for the inevitable reissues unless you find it somewhere on the cheap

wattsup32

#77 Post by wattsup32 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:38 pm

domino harvey wrote:The transfers really are as bad as everyone said. And several of the movies are interlaced! I can't imagine these will be out of circulation for long, so I'd hold out for the inevitable reissues unless you find it somewhere on the cheap
As always, I'll heed your advice.

Perkins Cobb

#78 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Now that I have made a few corresponding Amazon Marketplace purchases, I can share that Code Red officially announced last week that a number of its recent releases are either already OOP or soon will be:

The Forest (special edition)
Devil Times Five (special edition)
Doom Asylum
Fabulous Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Unseen
Boardinghouse
Sole Survivor
Running Hot
Pets

Edit: Note that the wording of the blog post suggests that there are other, unspecified DVDs from their catalogued that will also be going OOP.
Last edited by Perkins Cobb on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#79 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Sole Survivor
This any good? I enjoyed Eberhardt's Night of the Comet, is it in the same vein?

Perkins Cobb

#80 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:55 pm

No idea, but it's one of the few on that list that's still Netflixable. Just handle gently and return promptly, please, if you're in NYC.

Edit: Do we not even have threads for Code Red or Scorpion Releasing? Yikes.

MyNameCriterionForum

#81 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:37 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Perkins Cobb wrote:Sole Survivor
This any good? I enjoyed Eberhardt's Night of the Comet, is it in the same vein?
"Eh"

Less humorous than NOTC, almost Fulci-esque at moments. Not sure which of the two I'd choose to watch again.

dwk

#82 Post by dwk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:20 am

A quick warning about Code Red's dvds, they have started to watermark heavily bootlegged titles.

Perkins Cobb

#83 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:47 am

dwk wrote:A quick warning about Code Red's dvds, they have started to watermark heavily bootlegged titles.
Thanks, and, obviously that's totally unacceptable. The Code Red guy's blithe defense of it on that forum is exceedingly douchebaggy, and will probably require me to return the copy of Mean Johnny Barrows that I ordered last night.

ianungstad

#84 Post by ianungstad » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:30 am

I emailed customer service at MPI asking why they discontinued Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre and they confirmed that they have lost the rights to the film. Maybe Criterion did pick it up? Will be interesting to see where and when it appears again.

perkizitore

#85 Post by perkizitore » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:28 pm

Matt

#86 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:30 pm

tubelord

#87 Post by tubelord » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:48 pm

Most of the those from MGM's Avant Garde Cinema collection are OOP. I've worked at MGM for some years now and I've always loved Suture and Liebestraum (another title from the AG collection).

HistoryProf

#88 Post by HistoryProf » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:00 pm

tubelord wrote:Most of the those from MGM's Avant Garde Cinema collection are OOP. I've worked at MGM for some years now and I've always loved Suture and Liebestraum (another title from the AG collection).
I saw the latter at a B&N the other day but it didn't appear out of print on-line. is it?

Matt

#89 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:05 pm

Yes. But there's probably a lot of old stock around. I can't imagine it was ever a hot seller.

ianungstad

#90 Post by ianungstad » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 am

Some Warner titles worth noting:

Little Women (Cukor) - http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=13623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Death in Venice (Visconti) - http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=36141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Day for Night (Truffaut) - http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=26576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matt

#91 Post by Matt » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:38 pm

I thought the latter two might still be available in the International Cinema Collection box set, another case of Warner Bros. taking individual releases out of print but not box sets, but the box is discontinued, too.

If Warner Bros. was ever actually going to license titles to Criterion, I can't imagine many titles more likely than those two.

But how the hell do you take Little Women out of print?

fdm

#92 Post by fdm » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Matt wrote:But how the hell do you take Little Women out of print?
Would make a grate $25 archive title...

Dadapass

#93 Post by Dadapass » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:30 am

Not sure when this happened but Querelle is out of print.

souvenir

#94 Post by souvenir » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:01 am

ianungstad wrote:Some Warner titles worth noting:

Little Women (Cukor) - http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=13623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Death in Venice (Visconti) - http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=36141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Day for Night (Truffaut) - http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=26576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Both Day for Night and Death in Venice have pre-order listings at Amazon with lower retail prices

HarryLong

#95 Post by HarryLong » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:15 am

Dadapass wrote:Not sure when this happened but Querelle is out of print.
I'm not certain if that's good news or bad.
I happen to like the film, but I'm under no illusions that it's anything but a misfire.

HarryLong

#96 Post by HarryLong » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:16 am

domino harvey wrote:The transfers really are as bad as everyone said. And several of the movies are interlaced! I can't imagine these will be out of circulation for long, so I'd hold out for the inevitable reissues unless you find it somewhere on the cheap
Does this mean I was wise in deciding I didn't need them because I had the Image discs from the Dawn of DVDs?

Matt

#97 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:13 am

HarryLong wrote:
I'm not certain if that's good news or bad. I happen to like the film, but I'm under no illusions that it's anything but a misfire.
It's been out of print for a long time. But yeah, it's the only Fassbinder released in R1 that I don't own. Seeing it once was enough to have Jeanne Moreau croaking out "Itch man kills ze sing he luhhhhhhvs" in my head for the rest of my life.

perkizitore

#98 Post by perkizitore » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:50 am

The R2 is relatively cheap, but i didn't bother owning it yet.

HarryLong

#99 Post by HarryLong » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Matt wrote:
HarryLong wrote:
I'm not certain if that's good news or bad. I happen to like the film, but I'm under no illusions that it's anything but a misfire.
It's been out of print for a long time. But yeah, it's the only Fassbinder released in R1 that I don't own. Seeing it once was enough to have Jeanne Moreau croaking out "Itch man kills ze sing he luhhhhhhvs" in my head for the rest of my life.
Ah, but it also has Brad Davis in religion-revealingly tight pants...
Di-de-dee
De-di-de-doh...

Perkins Cobb

#100 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:38 pm

Well, the R1 Querelle disc had a really terrible transfer, if that's any consolation.