Santa Sangre

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
ianungstad

Santa Sangre

#1 Post by ianungstad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Looks like MGM has been licensing to other companies besides Criterion:

One of the most-desired titles by Stateside disc collectors has long been Alejandro Jodorowsky’s shocking and fascinating 1989 feature SANTA SANGRE. Now, Fango has received word that the acclaimed hallucinatory fantasy-chiller will make its American DVD/Blu-ray debut early next year.

Severin Films will release the discs January 25, 2011, derived from a restored print of the uncut European version. There will also be more than five hours of extras on the two-DVD set and Blu-ray, accompanying the saga of a young man, once a circus performer with his family, who escapes from an asylum and helps his armless mother get murderous revenge. While final details have yet to be confirmed, the supplements currently slated include:

• Audio commentary by Jodorowsky
• Deleted scenes
• Multiple documentaries
• New on-camera interviews with the majority of the film’s cast and crew
• Domestic and international trailers
• Coverage of Jodorowsky’s forthcoming NYC appearances

The latter includes the director’s first-ever American retrospective, titled “Blood Into Gold: The Cinematic Alchemy of Alejandro Jodorowsky,” which takes place this Thursday, September 23-Friday, October 8 at New York City’s Museum of Arts and Design (2 Columbus Circle). Jodorowsky, whose classic films also include EL TOPO and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN, will be in attendance to conduct a rare master class on his films and philosophy; go here for more details.

“SANTA SANGRE is a landmark acquisition for us,” says Severin co-founder and CEO David Gregory. “Jodorowsky is one of the few true visionaries of cinema, and the opportunity to bring his modern masterpiece back to America is a genuine honor. Our restoration of the film, combined with an unprecedented collection of bonus features, will now introduce this brilliant film to a whole new audience.” Look for final details on the SANTA SANGRE disc contents shortly.

Cash Flagg

Re: Santa Sangre

#2 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Final specs, from Fangoria:
Both the two-DVD set and the Blu-ray will sport restored widescreen transfers of the film’s uncut European edition, and the supplements are:

• Audio commentary by Jodorowsky and journalist Alan Jones
• Deleted scenes with Jodorowsky commentary
• FORGET EVERYTHING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN: THE WORLD OF “SANTA SANGRE”: Exclusive 90-minute making-of documentary reaturing all-new interviews with cast and crew
• “For One Night Only: Alejandro Jodorowsky”: Channel X UK 1990 documentary featuring interviews with Jodorowsky, Dennis Hopper, Marcel Marceau, Omar Sharif and others
• “Goyo Cárdenas Spree Killer”: Documentary on the real-life inspiration for SANTA SANGRE
• Onstage Q&A with Jodorowsky
• Jodorowsky 2003 interview
• Composer Simon Boswell interviews Jodorowsky
• BLINK JODOROWSKY short by Simon Boswell
• “Close Your Eyes” music video by Boswell
• ECHECK: Adan Jodorowsky short film with optional commentary
• Theatrical trailer
• Japanese trailer

criterionsnob

#3 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:29 am

Jean-Luc Garbo

#4 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 am

I have the DVD and its transfer was very fine and consistent with the look of the Blu caps from the review above. I watched it today with the sound off and it plays quite well just following the images. The film was a great deal more intriguing than Holy Mountain. I haven't watched the extras yet, but I may put them off for awhile as I make my way through the film again. Severin did a great job with this new edition.

stroszeck

#5 Post by stroszeck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:32 am

I just have to chime in as well. One of the best movies of the 1990s and my personal favorite Jodorowsky. Great transfer etc, but, as usual, i was looking forward for a Criterion release that never materialized. A must buy for cinephiles.