The Stranger (Orson Welles)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
atcolomb

Re: The Stranger (Orson Welles)

#26 Post by atcolomb » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:07 pm

jsteffe wrote:DVDBeaver compares the Blu-ray with the existing DVD editions.

Based on the frame grabs, this Blu-ray leaves me unconvinced. It's utterly lacking in detail--looks like an HD upscaling of an old (and not very good) standard def "public domain" transfer, possibly from 16mm. To my eyes, the MGM DVD used better (definitely 35mm) source materials and it appears to have more detail. It certainly has superior contrast. I suspect it would be better stick with the MGM DVD and just use your Blu-ray or DVD player's upscaling. I have a sick feeling that we're going to see more of these "restored" public domain films on Blu-ray now that the format has reached a fairly wide market penetration.

I'm grateful that DVD Beaver took the trouble to review the disc, though.
I agree..looking at the screen caps on the blu-ray it does look soft and too bright and i did cancel my order at Amazon and will stick with the MGM version and the copy i made when TCM-HD aired it a few months ago.

Roger Ryan

#27 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 am

When I read that the restoration company ("Film Chest") was working with a public domain print, I knew the results were not going to be stellar. I, too, am happy that Beaver reviewed it and I can stick with the MGM DVD release. Rather sad that this is the first Welles Blu-ray on the market...but not too surprising either.

eerik

#28 Post by eerik » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:19 pm

What they did can not be called restoration. It looks like upscale that has been very heavily filtered. Their DNR button went up to eleven!

atcolomb

#29 Post by atcolomb » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:13 pm

I hope Warner Bros. will keep the DNR on low or off when they release Kane this year on blu-ray. Many reviews on the Kane dvd release said it was scrubbed too clean...but still a very nice print of the film.

Roger Ryan

#30 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:09 pm

atcolomb wrote:I hope Warner Bros. will keep the DNR on low or off when they release Kane this year on blu-ray. Many reviews on the Kane dvd release said it was scrubbed too clean...but still a very nice print of the film.
Yeah, I'm hoping that Warner Bros. got the message regarding the overkill on the DVD release and are a little more careful for the Blu-ray. "Just a little darker, please, and keep the rain outside Bernstein's office window while you're at it!"

Highway 61

#31 Post by Highway 61 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:28 pm

Lowry Digital has admitted that their work on Kane went overboard, so I think we'll be okay, although we can never be sure with Warners after the Seachers debacle.