1991: The Year That Punk Broke

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Gregor Samsa

1991: The Year That Punk Broke

#1 Post by Gregor Samsa » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:45 pm

The occasional rumors about this appearing on Criterion can end, as its now being put out by We Got Power Films:
Take a trip with Sonic Youth and Nirvana as they stumble thought their 1991 European club & festival tour! Let filmmaker Dave Markey put you on stage, off stage and backstage! Witness the boredom! The cynicism! And rock harder than you may have ever rocked before! Featuring Dinosaur Jr., Babes In Toyland, Gumball, The Ramones and a surging wave of punk rock fanatics! See You In The Pit!

We are very happy to announce that the long awaited DVD will be released in the fall of 2011 to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of this historic tour, featuring

- 42 minute Bonus Movie entitled "(This Is Known As) The Blues Scale" with previously unseen mind-blowing Sonic & Nirvana performances (including "Inhuman", "White Kross", "Orange Rolls/Angel's Spit", "Eric's Trip", "Chapel Hill", and "In Bloom") and plenty of revelatory and rockin' (and hilarious) never before seen off-stage and on-stage material
- Running audio commentary track by Thurston Moore & Dave Markey
- Rough Edits of performance material
- 2003 Panel Discussion (on the film) at the Arclight in Hollywood, with Thurston Moore, Dave Markey, Lee Ranaldo, Steve Shelley, and J. Mascis
- A photo slide show
- Theatrical trailer
- More surprises!

ianungstad

Re: 1991: The Year That Punk Broke

#2 Post by ianungstad » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Email from Dave:

hi ian

there was talk of a blue ray but I am not sure if that is going to come out as well, or at some point in the future. I know this is all about the dvd right now. and yes, criterion really wanted it, but universal owns it, so...

-dm

Surprised that Universal wouldn't license it out. I'll buy it, even if it's probably going to be dvd only.