The Wild Bunch

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
hearthesilence

The Wild Bunch

#1 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:14 am

Watching the Blu-Ray disc right now fairly close up to a 55" screen - this looks really filtered.

The close-ups in the opening credits seemed fine, they weren't bad, but as soon as we get to long shots, it looks scrubbed clean - a lot like video, not film. This really popped out around the end of the opening credits when the gang has arrived into town and the two who are already there, sitting on a bench and waiting to meet them, see them and stand up. Compared to the close-ups of the kids watching that scorpion, the DNR is very apparent.

Right now I'm at the campfire scene with the flashback to the whorehouse - these shots, even the close-ups, look heavily filtered.

This was one of the first BD's WB put out, and there was a two-disc DVD special edition that preceded it, seeming almost identical to this one, so I wonder if they just pulled the old HD master off the shelf? (And if what I'm seeing is DNR applied to a master that was geared towards DVD release circa 2002?)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: The Wild Bunch

#2 Post by Drucker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:56 pm

For reference, here's the Home Theater Forum thread on it. Harris gives it high marks, but some of the comments seem in line with what you're seeing.