Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and Crowd-Funding

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
theflirtydozen

Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

#126 Post by theflirtydozen » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:21 am

SSF wrote:
matrixschmatrix wrote:Did anyone else who donated to the Svankmajer Kickstarter get a poster yet? I got an email from them a few weeks ago saying it was heading out (I picked up one of the signed Alice posters) but nothing has arrived yet.
I also contributed, and received the email, but I haven't gotten my (Faust) poster yet.
I'm in the same boat and I even responded to the email with my phone number, like they asked, and another question. I still don't have a response; I think I'll try emailing once more later today.

neilist

#127 Post by neilist » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:37 pm

theflirtydozen wrote:
SSF wrote:
matrixschmatrix wrote:Did anyone else who donated to the Svankmajer Kickstarter get a poster yet? I got an email from them a few weeks ago saying it was heading out (I picked up one of the signed Alice posters) but nothing has arrived yet.
I also contributed, and received the email, but I haven't gotten my (Faust) poster yet.
I'm in the same boat and I even responded to the email with my phone number, like they asked, and another question. I still don't have a response; I think I'll try emailing once more later today.
Received today.

matrixschmatrix

#128 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Same here, though mine got a bit rumpled in the middle, because the tube dented. Hopefully it will smooth out in a frame.

I got nervous when I got this- they confirmed this was an original and not a reproduction, right? None of the tricks I know for authenticating work for it, since they're all specific to US posters.

SSF

#129 Post by SSF » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Received my Faust poster from the Svankmajer campaign. I've been trying to post a picture of it but I'm having some difficulty.

L.A.

#130 Post by L.A. » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:08 pm

Filmarchiv Austria has started a campaign to save The City Without Jews (1924), one of the country's most important silent films made.

colinr0380

#131 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:15 pm

The next project by Edward Lorusso is to produce a DVD-R of another Marion Davies film from 1922, Beauty's Worth.

colinr0380

#132 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:55 pm

kidc85 wrote:88 Films (UK) have a project aiming to raise £10k to restore D'Amato's ABSURD. You need to pledge £45 to get a blu-ray of it, but their gimmick is for every additional £10k they raise they will restore another film: MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY, AENIGMA and BEYOND THE DARKNESS, and you will receive those blu-rays as well.

It's a pretty ingenious campaign: they've already passed the £10k funding goal for ABSURD, so if they do manage to raise the full £40k then bully for them, and if they don't they've just charged a bunch of people £45 for a blu-ray. Win-win.
Just a quick heads up that I received a parcel today of all four of the 'Indiego-go'ed' discs (Absurd, Aenigma, Beyond The Darkness and Massacre In Dinosaur Valley), plus the T-shirt I had pledged for as well as a double-sided poster for Absurd/Rosso Sangue that I didn't remember being in the pledge, but which is much appreciated! So these discs are definitely on their way out to the backers now.

(I'd also pledged for the first fifteen titles of the Italian Collection series, which arrived a number of months ago, and the first four titles in the 88 Asia line, which came a couple of months before Christmas. So I think all that is left outstanding from this project would be the new version of Anthropophagous that was mentioned after the funds got past a certain point)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Wagstaff

#133 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm curious, have any US contributors to the 88 Films campaign received their movies yet?

javi82

#134 Post by javi82 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Professor Wagstaff wrote:I'm curious, have any US contributors to the 88 Films campaign received their movies yet?
Yes. I received mine about a week ago.

rockysds

#135 Post by rockysds » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:34 am

Kickstarter to release Lav Diaz' Death in the Land of Encantos on dvd and blu-ray.

theflirtydozen

#136 Post by theflirtydozen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 am

rockysds wrote:Kickstarter to release Lav Diaz' Death in the Land of Encantos on dvd and blu-ray.
Worth noting that this only ships inside the EU for others outside who got their hopes up.

dda1996a

#137 Post by dda1996a » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:45 am

Where is my Satantango Blu ray kickstarter. I would love to chip in but I have never seen a Diaz fan and for one Blu that price is way to high

Yakushima

#138 Post by Yakushima » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:24 pm

A fundraiser for an animated musical short Breezin' Along With The Brooklyn Breeze by a wonderfully talented animator Alex Budovsky (of "Bathtime in Clerkenwell" fame) is underway. It is at 91% now, with 13 more hours to go.

rockysds

#139 Post by rockysds » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:29 am

dda1996a wrote: I would love to chip in but I have never seen a Diaz fan and for one Blu that price is way to high
Wouldn't call this cheap or anything, but to be fair it is 3 blu-rays and priced comparably to Arrow's The Human Condition, for example, so it hardly seems like price gouging to me.

dda1996a

#140 Post by dda1996a » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:01 am

I meant for a film and director I have never seen before. I paid $150 for all of Svankmajer blus, but I adore his work and was more than happy to both help him film his last venture, and also get all of his films (bar Alice which I already own) on Blu ray

zedz

#141 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:16 pm

dda1996a wrote:I meant for a film and director I have never seen before. I paid $150 for all of Svankmajer blus, but I adore his work and was more than happy to both help him film his last venture, and also get all of his films (bar Alice which I already own) on Blu ray
Well, there's a very easy way to fix that problem:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Norte-End-Hist ... of+history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TMDaines

#142 Post by TMDaines » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 am

rockysds wrote:
dda1996a wrote: I would love to chip in but I have never seen a Diaz fan and for one Blu that price is way to high
Wouldn't call this cheap or anything, but to be fair it is 3 blu-rays and priced comparably to Arrow's The Human Condition, for example, so it hardly seems like price gouging to me.
I was going to say. It's far away from the most egregious Kickstarter pricing. 13 euros per Blu-ray disc with circa three hours of content that will otherwise not be released. There's probably a decent chance you can sell these for a markup if they aren't being released elsewhere too.

repeat

#143 Post by repeat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:34 am

Just in case someone hasn't noticed it, the above-discussed Lav Diaz crowdfunder has three days left and is still several thousand Euros short, so now would be a good time to chip in and/or share it to any interested parties...

Oedipax

#144 Post by Oedipax » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:08 am

No shipping of the bonuses to anywhere outside the EU is kind of a dealbreaker for me, if I'm going to throw down €39 for the blu-ray tier. If they opened it up to international donations (or at least the U.S.), I'm sure they'd clear the remaining amount needed.

repeat

#145 Post by repeat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:24 pm

(edit: removed unnecessary speculation) I mailed them to ask: the restriction is because shipping costs outside EU would turn out prohibitively high (easy to believe if you've ever dealt with French postage rates!) and would in all likelihood discourage overseas pledgers anyway - which is probably an accurate prediction, seeing as people are grumbling about the (perfectly reasonable) price even before the shipping costs...

The Fanciful Norwegian

#146 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:14 pm

rockysds wrote:
Arrow wasn't asking a comparable price for upscales of SD material, though. At the same time I suspect there are enough format snobs out there that it made sense for Dissidenz to offer a BD option, regardless of whether the material "demands" it.

Adam X

#147 Post by Adam X » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:05 pm

repeat wrote:I mailed them to ask: the restriction is because shipping costs outside EU would turn out prohibitively high
I've never understood this reasoning for restricting sales. Just charge roughly what it'd cost and let people decide if they're willing to pay for it.

At the polar opposite to this approach, in the latest update for Alex Cox's Tombstone Rashomon campaign, it was mentioned some UK residents were left with large customs charges for items they were sent & that he'd foot the bill for anyone in a similar situation. Maybe overly generous, but mighty kind of him. One reason I'm glad I don't live in the UK, though.

RobertB

#148 Post by RobertB » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:58 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote: Arrow wasn't asking a comparable price for upscales of SD material, though. At the same time I suspect there are enough format snobs out there that it made sense for Dissidenz to offer a BD option, regardless of whether the material "demands" it.
Is this seriously still a discussion? Snobbery? 3 hours of film on a DVD will introduce new compression even if it's filmed with a miniDV camera. No material "demands" BD, but very little wont benefit from it. Even if it's filmed with old TV cameras as seen on the Alan Clarke box.

Yes I went for the BD edition of DEATH IN THE LAND OF ENCANTOS, and it's happily not far from making it now (€1500 to reaching the goal).

The Fanciful Norwegian

#149 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Just to be clear: by format snobs I don't mean people who will take a BD over a DVD, I mean people who won't consider anything that isn't on BD, which is definitely a real phenomenon. Apologies if my inelegant wording seemed to implicate people who simply want the best available edition, which is hardly an irrational stance. BD will always be more transparent to the source (all other things being equal) and it's obviously completely up to an individual to decide when and where additional expense is justified, but I was mainly noting that this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison with what Arrow is doing. (An important addendum to that is that pricing isn't one-size-fits-all and Dissidenz is operating on a different economy of scale.) As an aside, if three hours (or three hours and 18 minutes, the longest of the three parts in the Dissidenz edition) can't be handled by a DVD-9 without introducing unacceptable artifacting, well, that's an argument for going to four discs—though I don't think it's necessary with material like this, in black and white and with relatively low motion.

willoneill

#150 Post by willoneill » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Oedipax wrote:No shipping of the bonuses to anywhere outside the EU is kind of a dealbreaker for me, if I'm going to throw down €39 for the blu-ray tier. If they opened it up to international donations (or at least the U.S.), I'm sure they'd clear the remaining amount needed.
... And when they say EU, they mean strictly EU. I tried to get it shipped to my parents in Switzerland and that wasn't an option.