Looney Tunes

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Gigi M.

#26 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:26 pm

Volume 4 Artwork

Steven H

#27 Post by Steven H » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:32 pm

I hope it's not the gaudy shiny style the last one had. Not that it matters. It's a definite purchase anyway you look at it.

Jeff

#28 Post by Jeff » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:05 pm

TV Shows on DVD has the complete list of shorts, and Jerry Beck has got the supplements. You can also see the list of both in the first post of this thread.
matt wrote:I guess I'll start praying for "Plane Daffy" right now.
Somebody up there likes you, Matt.

Ashirg

#29 Post by Ashirg » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:34 pm

You can check out all the extras in here

Gregor Samsa

#30 Post by Gregor Samsa » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:29 pm

There's some interesting stuff on there (Including Bugs Bunny Superstar, which has "The Old Grey Hare" and "What's Cookin' Doc?" within) but I'm a bit let down by the focus on 1950s cartoons, and particularly the entire disc of Speedy Gonzales shorts. Would have been nice to have some more Clampett and Avery (Or even Art Davis) cartoons, but maybe next year.

godardslave

#31 Post by godardslave » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:31 pm

speedy gonzales owns.

Gregor Samsa

#32 Post by Gregor Samsa » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:09 pm

godardslave wrote:speedy gonzales owns.
But what about 15 of them in a row?

Jeff

#33 Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:48 pm

Here is a very detailed press release with a large look at the artwork.

Cinephrenic

#34 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:54 pm

What exactly is Looney Tunes spotlight collection volume 3? Is it the movie collection? They are coming out with volume 4 so makes me wonder.

Gregor Samsa

#35 Post by Gregor Samsa » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:35 am

I assume that it is. Not sure why they decided to revive the older format. The world could have at least done with a re-release of Quackbusters (my favourite of the 'package' films) or something.

Brian Oblivious

#36 Post by Brian Oblivious » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:24 pm

No, the Spotlight Collections are two-disc sets that have been released along with each Golden Collection offering. They contain nothing that isn't found in the LTGC sets released on the same day. They're marketed at people who want new discs of Warner cartoons but at a lower price point, with half the content of the LTGCs.

Jeff

#37 Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:08 pm

It's time once again for my favorite annual announcement:
More Looney Tunes...your wish is our command. In this 4-disc set are 60 of the most hysterical Looney Tunes ever created and over 5 hours of extra special features. Indeed, some have never before been on home video! Disc 1 celebrates a duo every bit as famous as thunder and lightning or beans and weenies: Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. Termite Terrace provides peerless takes on Fairy Tales in Disc 2. Not to be outdone, Disc 3 showcases the hilarious talent of the great animator Robert Clampett. And the fowl deeds and rabbit-fire jokes wrap with Disc 4's hamboree jamboree of Porky Pig and more classics.

# 4-Disc Collector Set with 60 classic shorts.
# Remastered and restored to their original glory and chock full of special features!
# Over 5 hours of incredible Special Features which include "Chuck Jones: Extremes and In-Betweens, A Life in Animation" the 2000 PBS documentary
# $64.92 SRP
# October 30th street date

Stay tuned for larger cover art, and more details including the list of included shorts and all of the extras!
*Swoon!*

Jeff

#38 Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:33 pm

TV Shows on DVD posted the full specs and toon list a few days ago. You can check them out there or in the first post of this thread.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#39 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:00 am

Sweet Jesus, a MORE Bob Clampett. Warner really loves us!

bufordsharkley

#40 Post by bufordsharkley » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:22 am

Terrific line-up-- when you include his entries in the "Early Daze" disc, this just about accounts for every great Clampett cartoon not yet in the collection. (And to tell the truth, this is more top-shelf Clampett than any of the others-- "Buckaroo Bugs", "Hare Ribbin'", "Porky's Poppa"-- the kind of Clampett that non-Clampett fans hate.)

Terrific. And I'll add-- the Hook propaganda shorts are incredible, and hard to find anywhere else. "Tokyo Woes" alone is probably more subversive than any of the SNAFU shorts.

Nihonophile

#41 Post by Nihonophile » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:12 pm

bufordsharkley wrote:Terrific line-up-- when you include his entries in the "Early Daze" disc, this just about accounts for every great Clampett cartoon not yet in the collection.
Yeah but what about Russian Rhapsody? The gremlins from the kremlin are sorely missed from this super line up.

Max von Mayerling

#42 Post by Max von Mayerling » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:43 am

For me, one of the astonishing things about these sets, as one born in 1970, is that there are cartoons, such as Tashlin's "Scrap Happy Daffy," that I had never seen before I bought Volume 5. This thing is an essential work of art, to be viewed along side "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?" An essential work of cinema history. The musical numbers, the patriotic history lesson, the animation. The ghost of Abe Lincoln via Daffy Duck annoucing "Americans don't give up." And as a person relatively aware of and sensitive to these films, this one was totally unknown to me until this set.

jguitar

#43 Post by jguitar » Sun May 25, 2008 1:09 am

So, I've done the unthinkable--in trying to coax out a disc from Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol. 2, I broke a disc. Do I have any recourse in terms of getting a replacement, or do I simply shell out for another set? Because having the set with one broken disc is not an option. But seriously, I was shocked by how easily it broke. I've practically pancaked discs in trying to get them out before with no ill effects. I guess it's time to develop a subtler hand.

bufordsharkley

#44 Post by bufordsharkley » Thu May 29, 2008 2:00 pm

So, I've done the unthinkable--in trying to coax out a disc from Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol. 2, I broke a disc. Do I have any recourse in terms of getting a replacement, or do I simply shell out for another set? Because having the set with one broken disc is not an option. But seriously, I was shocked by how easily it broke. I've practically pancaked discs in trying to get them out before with no ill effects. I guess it's time to develop a subtler hand.
...Was it, by any chance, Disc 4?

WB (owing to awful, awful, vomit-inducing, unforgivable interlacing) is offering replacement discs for that one.

denti alligator

#45 Post by denti alligator » Thu May 29, 2008 2:30 pm

bufordsharkley wrote:

WB (owing to awful, awful, vomit-inducing, unforgivable interlacing) is offering replacement discs for that one.
How does one go about getting this replacement disc?

jguitar

#46 Post by jguitar » Thu May 29, 2008 2:48 pm

bufordsharkley wrote:

In fact, it was. I'm relieved to be part of a trend rather than some lone loser (at least in this instance). As denti says, how do you go about getting a replacement? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

#47 Post by Jeff » Thu May 29, 2008 7:28 pm

denti alligator wrote:How does one go about getting this replacement disc?
I've been to lazy to do it myself, but this thread at HTF has all the replacement info.

Sheriff Chambers

#48 Post by Sheriff Chambers » Fri May 30, 2008 7:37 pm

Sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread, but can anyone confirm if the region 2 sets in this series contain all the same extras as the region 1 sets - i.e., are they identical?

Cinephrenic

#49 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:11 pm

What you think will be on collection 6?

I'm guessing Foghorn Leghorn & Friends, Daffy & Speedy Gonzales, Tex Avery, and probably an all-stars section?

Probably going to be mostly 50s and 60s and the Avery's 30/40s cartoons he did for Warner. They have avoided releasing WWII cartoons for the time being and some politically incorrect films from the 40s, although some have appeared in the sets.
Last edited by Cinephrenic on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Saturnome

#50 Post by Saturnome » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:13 pm

Looks accurate, but they wouldn't go without a "The best of Bugs that wasn't on the five other releases".
I'd love something such as a "banned and WWII cartoons" special, including one hit wonder characters and post-classic Looney Tunes shorts (Now Hear This, Dot and the Line...). I guess I can forget about this though.
For historic interest, add "The worst of Buddy & friends", and for curiosity "Cool cat and the downfall of the Looney Tunes" (It's not even anywhere on the web).