Looney Tunes

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
HarryLong

Re: Looney Tunes Golden Collections

#76 Post by HarryLong » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:36 am

I'll bet you remember Commander USA and Lefty, too.

Gregory

#77 Post by Gregory » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Has anyone compiled any kind of online index of the Golden Collections? For example, if I wanted to watch a bunch of cartoons by Bob Clampett, or watch the ones that include Marvin the Martian, it would be nice to know exactly which discs would be the ones to grab.

manicsounds

#79 Post by manicsounds » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:53 am

The Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie (1981, Friz Freleng)
I thought this would be included on a Golden Collection as an extra, but instead, a standalone, on 4/28/2009 for $14.95 retail, with 3 bonus shorts as extras, "Box Office Hare", "From Hare To Eternity", "Pullet Surprise". English, French, Portugese subs and languages, sorry Spanish speakers...

Gregory

#80 Post by Gregory » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:46 am

I try not to comment too often about ubiquitous bad cover art, but that kind of cover really bothers me. Perhaps this is just my own pet peeve. The designers of this kind of thing can never just leave the characters looking at all like they did in the original cartoons; they have to use drastic amounts of shading and gradation. I guess their intent is to try to create some illusion of depth or something, but it doesn't work at all. It looks unnatural and downright ugly compared to the more simple rendition of the characters before computers made it so easy for people to over-do things. Something like this below shows actual line work, and the end result is something really looks like a drawing rather than a shiny piece of cheap plastic:

Jeff

Re: Looney Tunes

#81 Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:10 pm

WHV Press Release: Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie

HARE WE GO AGAIN!

WARNER HOME VIDEO
RELEASES THE WACKIEST CARTOON CLASSICS
IN A FULL LENGTH ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
LOONEY TUNES MOVIE COLLECTION: LOONEY, LOONEY, LOONEY BUGS BUNNY MOVIE
ON DVD April 28, 2009

The DVD Features Over One Hour of Looney Tunes Content

BURBANK, CA (March 10, 2009) – Cartoon lovers would be crazy not to get their hands on a copy of the upcoming feature-length release, Looney Tunes Movie Collection: Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie, which will be released by Warner Home Video (WHV) April 28, 2009. This rollicking and rambunctious collection features a compilation of classic Looney Tunes shorts produced by legendary animator, Friz Freleng. This single-disc release will retail for $14.98 SRP.

The ear-repressible Bugs Bunny takes top billing in this rip-roaring feature-length romp through some of the wackiest cartoon classics. Titled, Looney Tunes Movie Collection: Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie, this film is cleverly comprised of three parts. Each portion features a collection of legendary cartoon shorts that are bridged with new material. The result is a seamless work of animated art that takes viewers on a mad cap adventure a la Looney Tunes style!

Part one has Yosemite Sam strike a deal with the devil! Sam winds up in hell, after he’s crushed by a safe dropped by Bugs Bunny. Satan however agrees to give Sam another chance so long as he brings someone else to take his place. Sam sets his sights on none other than his nemesis, that “wascally wabbit” and sets out for his capture.

Part two finds Bugs Bunny as a police detective who goes after a group of gangsters. The mobsters, Rocky and Mugsy, who in spite of being captured numerous times, always manage to free themselves due to some loophole in the law. Rocky and Mugsy capture Daffy Duck after they learn he’s capable of laying golden eggs and go so far as kidnapping Tweety Bird for ransom.

Part three, the finale, showcases a vicious and entertaining satire of the Oscars. Bugs Bunny turns Hollywood’s glitziest awards ceremony into a cartoon-star-studded disaster zone called The Oswald Awards. Bugs hosts the ceremony in which the nominees are the wolf from Three Little Bops, Sylvester and Tweety and himself. Daffy Duck however, gripes about not being nominated. When Bugs wins the award, Daffy is furious and challenges Bugs to a talent showdown.

Classic cartoons featured on Looney Tunes Movie Collection: Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie include Hare Trimmed, Devil’s Feud Cake, Roman-Legion Hare, Sahara Hare, Wild and Wooly Hare, The Unmentionables, Golden Yeggs, Catty Cornered, Three Little Bops, High Diving Hare and Show Biz Bugs. Academy Award winners Birds Anonymous and Knighty Knight Bugs are also included in this collection.

The release will also include three bonus cartoons: Box-Office Bunny, From Hare to Eternity and Pullet Surprise. Box-Office Bunny follows the story of how a massive movie theater gets built over Bugs’ rabbit hole. >From Hare to Eternity tells the tale of how Pirate Yosemite Sam digs up a treasure chest which belongs to Bugs Bunny. Finally, Pullet Surprise covers the action when Pete Puma tries to raid the henhouse Foghorn Leghorn is guarding.

“Looney Tunes Movie Collection: Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie is really unique in the sense that it presents viewers with classic, legendary cartoon material set within a fresh, new context,” said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President of Family, Animation & Sports Marketing. He added, “Kids will be entertained with this movie because it features all their favorite Looney Tunes characters and adults will appreciate the film’s hilarious satirical references. We are delighted to offer consumers this enormously entertaining film.”

Max von Mayerling

#82 Post by Max von Mayerling » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:21 am

More pains on my inside.

Binker

#83 Post by Binker » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:16 am

EDIT: See Gregory's question was already answered.

Anyone interested in animation history, technique, and criticism should check out John Kricfalusi's blog. Half the posts consist of John hilariously railing away at contemporary animation, while the other half are well thought-out, illustrated discussions of basic animation techniques and informative surveys of animation history. I must say though, I've linked the blog to three friends and all came away turned off by John's vicious rants, in which he dismisses outright several Disney "classics", all the 70s and 80s HB garbage like Scooby Doo, and nearly all CGI animation. I share most of John's aesthetic predispositions, including his outright hatred for the majority of Dreamworks and Pixar fare, so his rants fall on sympathetic ears

manicsounds

#84 Post by manicsounds » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:31 am

Ya, there are a lot of things I can disagree with John K and what he feels about animation. He is still living it like he's part of Termite Terrace, still stuck in the old school.

I'm more of a Disney fan, since it was part of my childhood and beyond. Although I've been getting into the Warner stuff deeply these days with the Golden Collections.

It might be true that there was more room for wacky and zany ideas in the past then, where the concerns of budgets were not as they are now. A brilliant Bugs Bunny 7 minute short wouldve cost exactly the same as a crap Bugs Bunny short, and recouping the costs were not a concern.

$100 million dollar budget cartoons, stakes are high.

But there is a lot of creativity still out there. But one thing that Disney cartoons always had was technological innovation and of course, Soul. Gotta have that.

Cinephrenic

#85 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:51 pm

I hope they announced some titles soon. I'm hoping they go chronological with these shorts. Starting with a set of all the black and white films. It would make us Looney Tunes completist very happy.

MoonlitKnight

#86 Post by MoonlitKnight » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:59 pm

Yeah, I just cannot agree with John K.'s almost dogmatic adherence to the more manic style of animation typified by Bob Clampett and Tex Avery. Just because something is animated doesn't mean it ALWAYS has to feel 'cartoonish.' :roll:

Vic Pardo

#87 Post by Vic Pardo » Thu May 07, 2009 4:41 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote:Yeah, I just cannot agree with John K.'s almost dogmatic adherence to the more manic style of animation typified by Bob Clampett and Tex Avery. Just because something is animated doesn't mean it ALWAYS has to feel 'cartoonish.' :roll:
Chuck Jones proved that. Check out any of his bulldog-and-kitten cartoons (e.g. "Feed the Kitty"). Subtle humor can be just as witty, clever and imaginative as manic humor.

MoonlitKnight

#88 Post by MoonlitKnight » Mon May 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Vic Pardo wrote:
MoonlitKnight wrote:Yeah, I just cannot agree with John K.'s almost dogmatic adherence to the more manic style of animation typified by Bob Clampett and Tex Avery. Just because something is animated doesn't mean it ALWAYS has to feel 'cartoonish.' :roll:
Chuck Jones proved that. Check out any of his bulldog-and-kitten cartoons (e.g. "Feed the Kitty"). Subtle humor can be just as witty, clever and imaginative as manic humor.
And Pixar is continuing to prove it...even if it's computer animation.

dx23

#89 Post by dx23 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:30 pm

Warner continues to release more set without any rhyme or reasoning in terms of cartoons included. This time, they are releasing the 7th Volume of the Spotlight collection, which contains cartoons already released in the first 3 volumes of the Golden Collection.

Cinephrenic

#90 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Who ever is in charge of the marketing schemes of these is truly an idiot. They should just release all the looney tunes/merrie melodies in chronological order:

1929 - 1933: Harman-Ising Productions & 1933 - 1944: Leon Schlesinger Productions (or all the B&W films together)
1944 - 1964: Warner Bros. Cartoons (the high point of their cartoons)
1964 - 1967: DePatie-Freleng Enterprises and Format Films & 1967 - 1969: Warner Bros.-Seven Arts Cartoons

Napier

#91 Post by Napier » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Hey folks, just wondering if someone could help me. There's an old cartoon WB I think, that has two characters fighting over a woman. And when the winner finally gets his bride to be, the curtain slowly rises revealing a beautiful figure, and the face is hideous. For the life of me I can't figure out the name of this toon. Any help would be appreciated.

knives

#92 Post by knives » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:39 pm

That sounds like Lena Hyena to me.

Max von Mayerling

#93 Post by Max von Mayerling » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:20 am

Isn't this a Tex Avery MGM? I can't remember the specific cartoon. It certainly sounds like something Tex would do (and not something you'd typically see in a WB cartoon).

Ashirg

#94 Post by Ashirg » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:02 am

Tex Avery's The Chump Champ has Droopy and Spike fight in athletic competitions. See the short on youtube and see if it's the one. I just saw it recently on Esther Williams, Volume 2 set.

Napier

#95 Post by Napier » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:58 pm

That's the one Ashirg, much appreciated.

MoonlitKnight

#96 Post by MoonlitKnight » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Any further news on future LT releases by Warner?

Jeff

#97 Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:02 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote:Any further news on future LT releases by Warner?
No more lavish box sets. In April 2010 they will begin releasing character-themed, single-disc collections of 15 cartoons. Bugs and Daffy are up first. They are promising that these will not duplicate cartoons from the Golden Collections

Cinephrenic

#98 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:44 am

They should release all on Blu.

Jeff

#99 Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:17 am

Cinephrenic

#100 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Some ugly cover art from what I can tell from the thumbnails.