Looney Tunes

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Titus

Re: Looney Tunes

#176 Post by Titus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:48 am

Jerry Beck said in a chat yesterday that the Censored Eleven have all been restored and Warner is going to give them their own release. It was supposed to be announced at Comic Con but wasn't, for some reason.

Max von Mayerling

#177 Post by Max von Mayerling » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:55 am

Awesome. I'm assuming that if they bothered to restore them, they'll bother to put them out on blu ray.

captveg

#178 Post by captveg » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Titus wrote:Jerry Beck said in a chat yesterday that the Censored Eleven have all been restored and Warner is going to give them their own release. It was supposed to be announced at Comic Con but wasn't, for some reason.
That sounds like it'll be a release similar to the upcoming Chuck Jones Mouse Chronicles - a "one off" that they can sell on its own and not as part of the regular Looney Tunes line.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Censored 11, so a couple quick questions:

1 - Are they all originally Warner cartoons, or are they a mix of Warner & MGM?

2 - If they are just Warner, are there any MGM non-PC cartoons (Tom & Jerry aside) they could theoretically supplement the Censored 11 with?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#179 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:40 pm

captveg wrote:are there any MGM non-PC cartoons (Tom & Jerry aside) they could theoretically supplement the Censored 11 with?
Tex Avery's Uncle Tom's Cabaña and Half-Pint Pygmy.

Matt

#180 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:43 pm

captveg wrote:I'm not terribly familiar with the Censored 11
The Wikipedia article on the subject is pretty concise and informative.

captveg

#181 Post by captveg » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Max von Mayerling

#182 Post by Max von Mayerling » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:40 am

So it looks like swo wins a prize re: predicting Red Hot Riding Hood. Blu-ray.com is reporting that the V2 includes the following Avery MGM shorts: the Blitz Wolf, Red Hot Riding Hood, Screwball Squirrel, Swing Shift Cinderella, King-Size Canary, Bad Luck Blackie, Senor Droopy, Wags to Riches, Symphony in Slang, Magical Maestro, and Rock-a-Bye Bear. They don't say anything about whether they are HD or how they look.

Zot!

#183 Post by Zot! » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:06 am

Max von Mayerling wrote:So it looks like swo wins a prize re: predicting Red Hot Riding Hood. Blu-ray.com is reporting that the V2 includes the following Avery MGM shorts: the Blitz Wolf, Red Hot Riding Hood, Screwball Squirrel, Swing Shift Cinderella, King-Size Canary, Bad Luck Blackie, Senor Droopy, Wags to Riches, Symphony in Slang, Magical Maestro, and Rock-a-Bye Bear. They don't say anything about whether they are HD or how they look.
You would think this might be better advertised if they're properly restored like the rest, as I imagine this is a considerable selling point.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#184 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:15 am

That's a pretty good sampling of his very best shorts, give or take a few. (Fingers crossed they're in HD.) In addition to Red Hot Riding Hood, Rock-a-Bye Bear is also new to R1. I've updated this post accordingly.

Forrest Taft

#185 Post by Forrest Taft » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:35 am

SD only , according to the review :cry:

Zot!

#186 Post by Zot! » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:52 am

RobertAltman wrote:SD only , according to the review :cry:
Right, I missed the obvious, thanks. Useless tack-on then. Though I suppose some of these have been out of circulation post-laserdisc.

Max von Mayerling

#187 Post by Max von Mayerling » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:10 pm

Ah - I missed that too. Sigh. I don't understand these people.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#188 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Isn't Symphony in Slang already in 1080p on the An American in Paris Blu-ray?

Gregory

#189 Post by Gregory » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Nope.

captveg

#190 Post by captveg » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:54 pm

They are SD because they have not yet been through the cycle of restored shorts yet.

duck duck

#192 Post by duck duck » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:32 am

Hey people who got my hopes up, where is the censored set or at least a new BLU set?

Minkin

#193 Post by Minkin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:30 am

duck duck wrote:Hey people who got my hopes up, where is the censored set or at least a new BLU set?
The blu sets appear to be a Christmas thing - so perhaps just once a year (I'm guessing they put a lot of work into the encodes etc to get them ready for disc - that or just lazy).

I wouldn't hold your breath about the censored set. Despite all of the talk to the contrary and shaming warnings on the first set, the second Tom and Jerry Blu set excluded some of the censored shorts. This led to an Amazon review bomb for the set (with 105 "1 star" reviews). So Warner pulled the release and its been in limbo ever since.

So if they couldn't make the effort of allowing "serious collectors" to have access to the few Tom and Jerry cartoons, I doubt the Warner PC police will ever allow them to do the censored 11. I'd think Criterion would have a better shot at doing them than Warner would (like Warner gave the BFI The Devils). Don't get your hopes up, because neither are likely at this point. Just like Disney and Song of the South. I never understood Warner's policy on this. They sell all these throwaway $5 cartoon sets aimed for children every week, but they suddenly worry that said children will be interested in the Bluray set, and that the warnings of "pretending this racial injustice never happened is the worst crime of all" aren't enough to scare the kids away? Why not just have Leonard Maltin walk on screen and pause the video and say "children, and those who might be easily susceptible must leave the room now, for there will be some brief moments of racially offensive material. Seriously, I'll wait here as long as it takes for you kids to leave."

Edit-

Wait, what? Warner's website is selling the censored Tom and Jerry Volume 2 Bluray? Why doesn't any other website have it? So they're just going to let people "cool off" for a while and then release the same shit? I really hope Warner gets their act together. I wonder what Jerry Beck has to say about all this BS?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#194 Post by Drucker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:22 am

So I'm looking for help identifying an episode. I am fairly certain the episode I'm talking about is Looney Tunes.

When I was a kid (watching the re-runs), I have a strong memory of an episode about a businessman learning about running a business. I honestly don't remember much about the episode but one thing has always stuck out to me, and it's this exchange:

Character Giving Lesson About Business: "...and that generates more profit?"
Businessman learning (whose character represented a sort of human version of Porky Pig): "And he keeps the profit?!"
Character Giving Lesson About Business: "No, no."

That character then goes on to teach about how profits aren't kept, but reinvested in the business.

This is an out of left-field request, I know. But every day I'm reading news and I just feel like this episode, in just that exchange, encapsulates a really good point about business that feels totally abandoned in today's austerity-crazed world. For all I remember, the rest of the episode could be full of free-market bullshit, but I'd love to track this episode down and watch it again, I just don't know where it is.

Gregor Samsa

#195 Post by Gregor Samsa » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:30 am

Drucker wrote:So I'm looking for help identifying an episode. I am fairly certain the episode I'm talking about is Looney Tunes.

When I was a kid (watching the re-runs), I have a strong memory of an episode about a businessman learning about running a business. I honestly don't remember much about the episode but one thing has always stuck out to me, and it's this exchange:

Character Giving Lesson About Business: "...and that generates more profit?"
Businessman learning (whose character represented a sort of human version of Porky Pig): "And he keeps the profit?!"
Character Giving Lesson About Business: "No, no."

That character then goes on to teach about how profits aren't kept, but reinvested in the business.

This is an out of left-field request, I know. But every day I'm reading news and I just feel like this episode, in just that exchange, encapsulates a really good point about business that feels totally abandoned in today's austerity-crazed world. For all I remember, the rest of the episode could be full of free-market bullshit, but I'd love to track this episode down and watch it again, I just don't know where it is.
Sounds like it would have been either By Word of Mouse, Heir-Conditioned, or Yankee Dood It. All three of these shorts are on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6, Disc 2.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#196 Post by Drucker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:37 am

Oh you are awesome. Reading the synopses it looks like it could definitely be Heir-Conditioned. Thank you so much!

Edit: Watching on youtube. It's defintiely Yankee Dood It. Thanks again.

Minkin

#197 Post by Minkin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 am

Looney Tunes: The Platinum Collection Volume Three Blu-ray has finally been announced! Still no word on the Tom and Jerry set (probably will never happen at this point).

dx23

#198 Post by dx23 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:03 am

WB is releasing more Looney Tunes through their Archives.

PORKY PIG 101 (1935-1943) New on DVD
Run Time 743:00
MONO - English
4 X 3 FULL FRAME, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1
99 CARTOONS in BLACK & WHITE plus 2 CARTOONS in COLOR
A 5 DISC DVD COLLECTION
Special Features: Commentaries on Select Shorts

That’s NOT all, folks! Warner Bros. first cartoon superstar, everyone’s favorite pantless porcine, Porky Pig, takes center stage. From his humble beginnings as the breakout star of a schoolhouse talent show in I Haven’t Got a Hat to his slimmer, slaphappy sidekick stage alongside Daffy Duck in Porky Pig’s Feat, across Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes, in two-strip Technicolor® and scintillating black and white, Porky’s ascent from rascally school gang member to superstar spokespig is fully on display in this 5-disc, 101-cartoon (plus some bonuses) collection. Presented in chronological order, with key commentaries by noted animation scholars and superfans on select shorts of significance, this tome contains all the ’toons you need to become a true professor of Porky Pig-ology.

knives

#199 Post by knives » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:13 am

Surprisingly this is only about half of his cartoons, though given how much he did play sidekick perhaps they are waiting for the rest on a Daffy or even Bugs set.

Werewolf by Night

#200 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:34 am

This is how they should have done these releases YEARS ago. I expect this will probably be on pressed DVDs for the initial run.