Fox Random Speculation

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

#26 Post by Lino » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:25 am

I recently emailed Sylvia Stoddard and this was what she had to say about a possible Henie Collection:
Boy, I sure hope so. I made a proposal to Fox last year to do them all. I have a stellar group of skaters lined up to do commentary--including one woman who actually skated in some of the movies and a man who had an affair with Sonja. Given the time frame (I recorded the commentary for Sun Valley Serenade last December), I think it was more a companion to Orchestra Wives than the first of a Sonja set.
She further commented on her relationship with Fox and how those big moguls seem to work:
Unfortunately, I am totally out of the loop regarding Fox releases. At the time I did the liner notes for The Gang's All Here, it was scheduled for release on February 7, 2006 Bedazzled, Lucky Lady and Two for the Road were scheduled for the following week. As all HTF readers know, the studios blunder in, announce stuff, and then realize there are legal problems or missing source materials. I had to get Boomerang! at an inflated price on eBay, just so I'd have a copy of my liner notes in case that one never came out at all.

Even when I was doing 10 of these a month, I never had a clue what extras were going to be on the released DVD. I usually did my work 6-8 months before scheduled release. The producers I work with on the audio commentaries are just as clueless. Fox is notorious for asking them to find someone and make an audio commentary with five days before it's due.

To show you just how small my connection is to Fox, it took me almost 6 months to get a complete set of the lobby cards for Pin Up Girl, Week-End in Havana and Daddy Long Legs, despite the fact that I wrote the captions

Gigi M.

#27 Post by Gigi M. » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:34 am

Any news about this movie? IMDB list FOX as the distributor.

kinjitsu

#28 Post by kinjitsu » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:47 am

gigimonagas wrote:Any news about this movie? IMDB list FOX as the distributor.
Not that I know of, other than it's frequently on FMC. Of course, Desirée is just one of several Brando films that have yet to surface on DVD.

Frank M

#29 Post by Frank M » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:10 pm

There is a German R2 DVD from Kinowelt/Arthaus:
Amazon.de

Antoine Doinel

#30 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:40 am

An upcoming Fox pre-code festival hits Film Forum in December with some new prints. Here's a link to the what's playing and particularly, what films have new prints.

Perhaps a box set is on the way similar to what Warner is doing?
Last edited by Antoine Doinel on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

#31 Post by Matt » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:57 am

It pains me greatly to look at that list and realize that, at best, we'll get 5 of the films in a box set. As long as one of them is Born to be Bad, though, I'm okay.

polecat

#32 Post by polecat » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:03 am

Born to Be Bad is out in R1 from Fox and available at Amazon.com

Matt

#33 Post by Matt » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am

polecat wrote:Born to Be Bad is out in R1 from Fox and available at Amazon.com
Well I'll be damned. How on Earth did I miss that?

Anonymous

#34 Post by Anonymous » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:22 pm

Oddly, but not surprisingly, the cover artwork for Born to Be Bad lists Cary Grant and Cary Grant only above the film title, when the film is definitely Loretta Young's show all the way.

And speaking of Loretta Young, what are the chances of a Loretta Young boxed set from Fox? The long list of Young's films for Fox (most of which have sadly never been released in any home video format) would provide enough material for several volumes.

And finally, given Fox's boxed set treatment of Clark Gable, Jayne Mansfield, Betty Grable et al, what are the chances of seeing a Bette Davis Collection of a repackaged All About Eve and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte, along with the long-awaited The Virgin Queen?

shearerchic

#35 Post by shearerchic » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:30 am

Devin_M wrote:Oddly, but not surprisingly, the cover artwork for Born to Be Bad lists Cary Grant and Cary Grant only above the film title, when the film is definitely Loretta Young's show all the way.

And speaking of Loretta Young, what are the chances of a Loretta Young boxed set from Fox? The long list of Young's films for Fox (most of which have sadly never been released in any home video format) would provide enough material for several volumes.

And finally, given Fox's boxed set treatment of Clark Gable, Jayne Mansfield, Betty Grable et al, what are the chances of seeing a Bette Davis Collection of a repackaged All About Eve and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte, along with the long-awaited The Virgin Queen?
How bout some new Davis titles such as The Virgin Queen, The Nanny, and Phonecall To A Strangerr?? That would be better.
Last edited by shearerchic on Sun May 13, 2007 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

shearerchic

#36 Post by shearerchic » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:38 am

Has there been any recent news on this Fox pre-code set. I also read that The Shocking Miss Pilgrim is in production.

shearerchic

#37 Post by shearerchic » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:17 pm

Some of the titles I hope they're releasing this year:

-Gentlemen Marry Brunettes
-The Revolt of Mamie Stover
-The Farmer's Daughter (pure hokum, I know)
-Come to the Stable
-A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
-A Hatful of Rain
-The Virgin Queen
-The Nanny
-Viva Zapata
-Daisy Kenyon
-Cluny Brown
-My Gal Sal
-Star Dust
-Ramona
-Margie

Jeff

#38 Post by Jeff » Tue May 29, 2007 6:19 pm

Nothing official yet, but Creepy Classics lists The Lodger (1944) and Hangover Square amongst a bunch of Fox and Sony horror titles due out this Halloween.

buskeat

#39 Post by buskeat » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Any word on any precode set that might or might not be coming? The below post was quite a long time ago now.
alandau wrote:Trusted source tells me that Fox is working on a precode boxset. The speculation is that it will include THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE, POWER AND THE GLORY, QUICK MILLIONS, CALL HER SAVGE and HOOPLA.

mogwai

#40 Post by mogwai » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:11 pm

Not sure how I missed this, but someone at the Home Theater Forum noticed that if you click on the For Christmas 2008 link at the Fox Classics website, you get this:

Borzage's Seventh Heaven perhaps?

jaredsap

#41 Post by jaredsap » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:48 am

mogwai wrote:Borzage's Seventh Heaven perhaps?
Certainly. But I wonder if this means we're getting the Borzage box.

Jeff

#42 Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:57 pm

This article on Fox classics on DVD mentions Cavalcade and Manhunt.

bergelson

#43 Post by bergelson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:32 am

And what about Five Fingers? The region 2 release is quite poor.

Cinéslob

Re: Fox Random Speculation

#44 Post by Cinéslob » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Looking over the Film Forum synopsis for Bringing Up Baby, I was quite surprised to see Criterion Pictures, a Fox affiliate, credited as the distributor. I had thought that Warner held Baby as tightly as the likes of Casablanca and The Searchers; still, it appears to have flown the coup if this is to be believed. What isn't clear, in the first instance, is whether the home video rights have been passed from Warner to Fox. If so, that in turn begs the question as to whether Fox will put out their own release, or pass the task on to another Criterion again (imagine having both Bringing Up Baby and Red River on BR in the foreseeable future!).

Any further information on this matter would be most appreciated.

ianungstad

Re: Fox Random Speculation

#45 Post by ianungstad » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:49 am

Criterion Pictures handles more than just FOX. They handle films from Warners, Paramount, Lionsgate and numerous other companies too.