Fox Random Speculation

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
justeleblanc

#1 Post by justeleblanc » Fri May 06, 2005 12:34 pm

Again, I've searched through the forum and I couldn't see a thread this could go into. But of course that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

So Fox Home Video's website has a JM type email called FoxDrop. Is it worth starting a thread similar to Criterion's or Warner regarding Forthcoming Fox Titles (No Speculation)? I only mention this since Fox has been doing a steady job releasing a lot of their classics and since they do have a somewhat amicable relationship with Criterion, it may not be a bad idea to rule out certain Criterion speculations, such as more Altman.

Here's the email:

FoxDrop@4icc.com

And they're fairly responsive too. I get all my questions answered within the next day or too.

swingo

#2 Post by swingo » Fri May 06, 2005 3:31 pm

Thanks,

but my big question is if this foxdrop answers the questions as JM, or add more insight?

justeleblanc

#3 Post by justeleblanc » Fri May 06, 2005 4:11 pm

Regarding HIGH ANXIETY FD wrote:

This title is currently on hold but is scheduled to be released later
this year. You may also contact us in June 2005
for updated new releases. Thank you for contacting us!

Regarding More Altman:

Fox has no plans to release the titles in question at this time. I will
forward your request onto our corporate office so they can see what the
public would like to see on DVD. You may also contact us in June 2005

Gregory

#4 Post by Gregory » Fri May 06, 2005 8:54 pm

I urged them to release Leo McCarey's Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys and got the stock "no plans" response in JusteLeblanc's post above.

They'll probably drop the announcements for the next round of Studio Classics discs sometime in the next 3 weeks but I propose we barrage them with requests for Ray's Bigger Than Life. How 'bout it, gang?

Ashirg

#5 Post by Ashirg » Fri May 06, 2005 9:26 pm

The first studio classics disc was already announced and it's going to be The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit...

Sai

#6 Post by Sai » Fri May 06, 2005 9:32 pm

Anyone asked about Lifeboat yet?

alandau

#7 Post by alandau » Fri May 13, 2005 2:30 am

Trusted source tells me that Fox is working on a precode boxset. The speculation is that it will include THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE, POWER AND THE GLORY, QUICK MILLIONS, CALL HER SAVGE and HOOPLA.

Now Temple Drake is a Paramount movie that is rare, quite amazing, and has never been released in any medium. So why, may you ask is Fox releasing it, and not our kind friend Universal. Well, the complicated story goes something like this. Ostensibly, Selznick bought the rights to the film, as a star vehicle for his precious wife Jennifer Jones. It all fell through, and now his son, is negotiating with Fox.

This boxset is still high speculation, and if reality, months away. However, this will excite any precode lover, and I know there are many of us.

Michael Strangeways

#8 Post by Michael Strangeways » Fri May 13, 2005 2:21 pm

I think the Sturgis website mentions that Power and the Glory has been restored and has shown recently in NY at a Sturgis retrospective.

justeleblanc

#9 Post by justeleblanc » Fri May 12, 2006 3:57 pm

I contacted Fox about this title and I got this response:
Hello,

Fox has no plans to release the title in question at this time. I will
forward your request onto our corporate office so they can see what the
public would like to see on DVD. You may also contact us in July 2006

Thank you,

Fox Consumer Services
This is the first time Fox got back to me within a day -- and it's the first time they got back to me about HealtH (I email them a lot). It might be bullshit but I think emails them works better than the online petitions (such as the one for Husbands). 100 emails might be more effective than 100 signatures.

Email Fox here: FoxDrop@4icc.com

I have been emailing them about releasing their 5 Altman films for the past 4 years. (Criterion released 1, and Fox finally released 3). Surely there are others who are pissed that Fox excluded HealtH from the box set.

paa400

#10 Post by paa400 » Sat May 13, 2006 12:28 pm

I wrote Sony twice about Husbands and I got no response, thats why I started the petition.

justeleblanc

#11 Post by justeleblanc » Sat May 13, 2006 1:15 pm

paa400 wrote:I wrote Sony twice about Husbands and I got no response, thats why I started the petition.
Which address did you use? Just out of curiousity. I emailed them as well and you're right, no response. But I figure emailing is a bit more direct. Who knows -- I'm on the petition as well.

paa400

#12 Post by paa400 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:25 pm

I think it was this one-http://www.sonypictures.com/ Im for whateve way works the best, email, petitions, pigeons with messages, pony express, ray carney voodoo, etc

Jeff

#13 Post by Jeff » Sun May 14, 2006 6:43 pm

Fox may not even control the rights to Health. In Altman on Altman, he states that the newly installed Fox exec Sherry Lansing "felt that there was nothing in the picture that was going to attract an audience," and was not going to release the film. Eventually, he and partner Mike Kaplan did a small release themselves. If he bought back the rights in order to do so, Altman may hold this title himself through his Sandcastle 5 production company, just like Secret Honor and Tanner '88 (though this doesn't mean that I would expect a Criterion release).

justeleblanc

#14 Post by justeleblanc » Sun May 14, 2006 11:15 pm

Jeff wrote:Fox may not even control the rights to Health. In Altman on Altman, he states that the newly installed Fox exec Sherry Lansing "felt that there was nothing in the picture that was going to attract an audience," and was not going to release the film. Eventually, he and partner Mike Kaplan did a small release themselves. If he bought back the rights in order to do so, Altman may hold this title himself through his Sandcastle 5 production company, just like Secret Honor and Tanner '88 (though this doesn't mean that I would expect a Criterion release).
Good point, though I wish there was a way to find out. Did fox release the vhs tape?

paa400

#15 Post by paa400 » Sun May 14, 2006 11:52 pm

I don't think Health ever came out on VHS-they play it all the time on the Fox Channel-its a horrible copy too, in case you didn't know.

carax09

#16 Post by carax09 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:28 am

I just "FoxDropped" a question regarding The Only Game In Town starring (a slightly miscast) Elizabeth Taylor and Warren Beatty. It certainly doesn't get the love on IMDB, but I have an immense fondness for it. Anyone else? Am I alone in thinking it would make a great double-bill with Altman's California Split?

Lino

#17 Post by Lino » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:23 am

Since I began to read more things about Fox's 40's musicals, it was very clear that besides Alice Faye, Betty Grable and Carmen Miranda, Sonja Henie's skating movies were also some of the most lucrative for them too and I'm sure that a DVD collection must be in the works.

Now, having not seen any of these, my question is, are they any good? They sound like the type of campy fun Esther Williams films also possess, which is a good thing in my book. Anyone?

edit: just noticed that Sylvia Stoddard has apparently done an audio commentary for Sun Valley Serenade, so Sonja Henie on DVD is definitely a certainty.

http://www.squareone.org/stoddard/credits.html

edit2: and it's already available in France:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000EQH ... 19-4390531

devlinnn

#18 Post by devlinnn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:43 am

To see one is to see them all Annyra. Same plot, same bumflee outfits, same moves on the ice. Sonja did possess some charm, but so does a little gin in a large glass, and I know what would keep the winter nights warmer. You would swear Fox just changed the titles and kept releasing the same film. So much so that I'd be very surprised to see a boxset anytime soon. The artwork would be fun though....

devlinnn

#19 Post by devlinnn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:28 am

Keeping it wonderfully ot during these dire times - will we ever see the RKO Hildegarde Withers collection from Warner? I've only ever read about these over the years, and they've never bobbed up on our beloved Aunty (unless my wonky but keen eye has missed them). With the star power of Edna May Oliver then Zasu Pitts, surely I'm not alone in wanting to view these at least once before the bell ring-a-ding-dings.

Matt

#20 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:32 am

devlinnn wrote:Keeping it wonderfully ot during these dire times - will we ever see the RKO Hildegarde Withers collection from Warner?
Actually, I believe the Warner suits hinted at releasing boxes of some of their more beloved series in the last HTF chat. At least that's the impression I got when I asked about Ann Sothern's Maisie films. With Charlie Chan doing so well for the other studios, I don't see how they can hold off on things like Torchy Blaine, Hildegarde Withers, and Nancy Drew much longer.

Lino

#21 Post by Lino » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:49 pm

Another Sonja Henie title is out in R2 land although only part of the Tyrone Power Collection. It's called Second Fiddle.

Lino

#22 Post by Lino » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:25 am

I recently emailed Sylvia Stoddard and this was what she had to say about a possible Henie Collection:
Boy, I sure hope so. I made a proposal to Fox last year to do them all. I have a stellar group of skaters lined up to do commentary--including one woman who actually skated in some of the movies and a man who had an affair with Sonja. Given the time frame (I recorded the commentary for Sun Valley Serenade last December), I think it was more a companion to Orchestra Wives than the first of a Sonja set.
She further commented on her relationship with Fox and how those big moguls seem to work:
Unfortunately, I am totally out of the loop regarding Fox releases. At the time I did the liner notes for The Gang's All Here, it was scheduled for release on February 7, 2006 Bedazzled, Lucky Lady and Two for the Road were scheduled for the following week. As all HTF readers know, the studios blunder in, announce stuff, and then realize there are legal problems or missing source materials. I had to get Boomerang! at an inflated price on eBay, just so I'd have a copy of my liner notes in case that one never came out at all.

Even when I was doing 10 of these a month, I never had a clue what extras were going to be on the released DVD. I usually did my work 6-8 months before scheduled release. The producers I work with on the audio commentaries are just as clueless. Fox is notorious for asking them to find someone and make an audio commentary with five days before it's due.

To show you just how small my connection is to Fox, it took me almost 6 months to get a complete set of the lobby cards for Pin Up Girl, Week-End in Havana and Daddy Long Legs, despite the fact that I wrote the captions

Gigi M.

#23 Post by Gigi M. » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:34 am

Any news about this movie? IMDB list FOX as the distributor.

kinjitsu

#24 Post by kinjitsu » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:47 am

gigimonagas wrote:Any news about this movie? IMDB list FOX as the distributor.
Not that I know of, other than it's frequently on FMC. Of course, Desirée is just one of several Brando films that have yet to surface on DVD.

Frank M

#25 Post by Frank M » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:10 pm

There is a German R2 DVD from Kinowelt/Arthaus:
Amazon.de