Unreleased Warner Bros Titles

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Ashirg

Re: Unreleased Warner Bros Titles

#101 Post by Ashirg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:26 am

They are still looking for Orson's cut of the film in the archives of South America....

Highway 61

#102 Post by Highway 61 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:40 am

Ashirg wrote:They are still looking for Orson's cut of the film in the archives of South America....
This really is the only explanation for the delay. If it were problems with the film elements, they could have done a full restoration and theatrical tour by now. I doubt they'll find anything, but I at least hope they're producing a documentary about their search. Kane's 70th anniversary is next year, and I imagine we'll know more about their plans for the film then.

perkizitore

#103 Post by perkizitore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Please unleash your fury here
I specifically mentioned silents, Magnificent Ambersons and The Devils.
Last edited by perkizitore on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

onedimension

#104 Post by onedimension » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:32 pm

Is Warner seriously looking for Ambersons footage in South America, or was that a joke? That would renew my faith in humanity.

Finch

#105 Post by Finch » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:07 pm

clydefro at DVDTimes has written up a nice piece about titles that Warner should release proper:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/72 ... -been.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jsteffe

#106 Post by jsteffe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Ashirg wrote:They are still looking for Orson's cut of the film in the archives of South America....
A contact of mine at Warner didn't mention anything about that. He indicated that it really was more a question of finding the best surviving elements for doing a new transfer of the only version known to exist. They *are* working on it, and it should come out before too long. I'm assuming that its release is planned for the 70th anniversary. And yes, it will be a special edition--and not a Warner Archive title--basically what Warner Home Video has said they were planning to do all along. My guess is that it may also have been delayed some due to the market downturn.

jsteffe

#107 Post by jsteffe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Aren't most Maria Montez titles held by Universal? Intriguing reply, though.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV

#108 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Whoa, Show People was on TCM and it's delightful! Is it out anywhere in the world on DVD? Not sure how a gem like this has been overlooked.

Erikht

#109 Post by Erikht » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:07 am

Mr Finch wrote:clydefro at DVDTimes has written up a nice piece about titles that Warner should release proper:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/72 ... -been.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Sydney Greenstreet & Peter Lorre Collection would be my greatest wish.

tojoed

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV

#110 Post by tojoed » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:55 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Whoa, Show People was on TCM and it's delightful! Is it out anywhere in the world on DVD? Not sure how a gem like this has been overlooked.
You can buy, probably a DVD-R from this site. I've never used them myself, so I can't vouch for the quality.
Alternatively, you can get one from this guy, who I can vouch for.
Order from here.

HarryLong

#111 Post by HarryLong » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:34 am

jsteffe wrote:Aren't most Maria Montez titles held by Universal?
One that isn't is one I've been most curious to see for awhile: SIREN OF ATLANTIS. That one probably is WB.
(And yes, much of this curiosity is thanks to Gore Vidal's MYRON.)

Matt

#112 Post by Matt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:48 am

HarryLong wrote:SIREN OF ATLANTIS. That one probably is WB.
Probably not. It was originally distributed by United Artists.

HarryLong

#113 Post by HarryLong » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:08 am

The library-selling gets very confusing...

big mouth

#114 Post by big mouth » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:40 am

So now the once "upcoming" blu of the Spike Lee joint "Malcolm X" has just been canceled in time for black history month. Good planning WB! If this was supposed to come out next week, and today they are having "musical rights" issues, what the hell do they do with the digibooks they must have printed up? ... and music issues? the sdvd has been out for years. Do blu's have to go through another set of lawyers? I smell a conspiracy.

captveg

#115 Post by captveg » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:03 am

big mouth wrote:So now the once "upcoming" blu of the Spike Lee joint "Malcolm X" has just been canceled in time for black history month. Good planning WB! If this was supposed to come out next week, and today they are having "musical rights" issues, what the hell do they do with the digibooks they must have printed up? ... and music issues? the sdvd has been out for years. Do blu's have to go through another set of lawyers? I smell a conspiracy.
Yes, Blu's do need to go through their own rights clearances. Obviously someone didn't read the fine print well enough, and now Warner is losing six-figure type money with the delay. Not exactly intentional, as it would be the most idiotic conspiracy from a financial standpoint ever.

As for the physical product, it'll be stored until they can release it after paying the music rights holders the amount they deem acceptable, per number crunching profit/cost figuring.

beamish13

#116 Post by beamish13 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:41 am

Not an unreleased title, as the studio-sanctioned cut is out on the Archive label, but I asked WB about possibly putting out the original cut of James Bridges' MIKE'S MURDER (1984), which was intended to be MEMENTO-like in its structure. Unlike SWING SHIFT, an intact print actually survives. This is the reply that I got:
"Unlikely due to cost, but maybe someday...who knows?"
Better than nothing. I'm glad the people in charge of their Facebook page respond to most queries.

kneelzod

#117 Post by kneelzod » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:44 pm

beamish13 wrote:Better than nothing. I'm glad the people in charge of their Facebook page respond to most queries.
Yes, it's nice that they responded and even left the door slightly ajar. Big fan of this film and I was disappointed not only in the lack of Bridges' initial cut being made available alongside the theatrical cut, but also with the fact that the WA disc image quality leaves a lot to be desired. Framing appears off in a few scenes and the detail and color actually compare unfavorably with the included theatrical trailer.