The Magnificent Ambersons

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
HitchcockLang

Re: The Magnificent Ambersons

#176 Post by HitchcockLang » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:41 am

Looks like the TCM Classic Moms set may be out of print now anyway. It can still be had by third-party sellers for not too outrageous prices. Should I pounce now or does this perhaps bode well for a Criterion rescue?

Drucker

#177 Post by Drucker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:33 am

Magnificent Ambersons went OOP the same time other Warner Criterions did: Blow-Up, Dreams, etc.

Likely coming from Criterion, but who knows when.

hearthesilence

#178 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Damn, had no idea this is OOP. Prices aren't that ridiculous - $25 seems to be common - but not really worth it considering it's a bare bones release.

Bear in mind this is a single-layer DVD release, so what you could do is just rent it or check it out of a library, rip it, and then keep the disc image on a flash drive or a burn the image on to a cheap single-layer DVD-R. Most likely it will hold you over until someone does this film justice and gives it the release it deserves. (Or hell, while I'm wishing, maybe someone will find the Pasadena preview print in pristine condition and give us a gorgeous transfer of that.)

spoon99

#179 Post by spoon99 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:37 am

Gosh, just a few months ago, it was $9.96 on Amazon.

Worst packaging ever, though --- all four discs on a single spindle, without so much as spacers, surely a recipe for scratches, to which clumsy me can attest.

Ambersons seems like such an obvious choice for Criterion. It's seemed like an obvious choice for Criterion for like 15 years. I'm not holding my breath.

FrauBlucher

#180 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:38 am

Drucker wrote:Magnificent Ambersons went OOP the same time other Warner Criterions did: Blow-Up, Dreams, etc.

Likely coming from Criterion, but who knows when.
Plus, it was a CC laserdisc title. They like rescuing these. It's been six months since we got a Warner title. Perhaps the next batch of WB to CC will include Ambersons.

ryanvision

#181 Post by ryanvision » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:08 pm

I bought the Classic Moms set for Ambersons just a few weeks ago from Walmart (I know, I know).

It was around $12.99. Overall, I think it's a pretty nice package though yes, all the discs are literally just open and stacked in one spindle holder. It's kind of ridiculous, but I managed to switch it out for a double disc case I had so at least I could split them (not that I really care about I Remember Mama, anyway).

As for the actual film, it looks quite good and, aside from a hopeful Criterion release, I am happy I got it. It seems to be the same exact release, menus and all, of the standalone WB release that is long OOP and, frankly, too pricey.

Due to the recent WB Archive details, I suspect an Ambersons release in the next year or two. Who knows, but there is enough mystery and special feature type additions out there to make it a potentially momentous release. For collector's and completists, there's nothing inherently wrong with the Classic Moms set. It's the most affordable way to add it to your collection right now.