Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
cafeman

#26 Post by cafeman » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:07 pm

The WB chat (which has so far been 95% reliable) confirmed the big-ass box, which will include the entire Fleischer Superman run with all toon completely restored. This disc is not mentioned anywhere now, which leads me to believe that a big box is certainly still an option.

So, I`ll still cling to hope, until further notice.

(And, the Ditial Bits article does NOT "confirm" any such thing as there not being the 14-disc set. In fact, the Warner representative is quoted as saying "there MAY still be a larger Legacy Collection release. However, it's not certain to happen, it's not yet officially announced and there are some issues that have to be resolved before it can come to fruition")

Ashirg

#27 Post by Ashirg » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:16 pm

cafeman wrote:The WB chat (which has so far been 95% reliable) confirmed the big-ass box, which will include the entire Fleischer Superman run with all toon completely restored. This disc is not mentioned anywhere now, which leads me to believe that a big box is certainly still an option.
They are included in the boxset with first 8 toons in the 4th disc of Superman and the last 8 in a 2nd disc of Superman 2

cafeman

#28 Post by cafeman » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:01 am

Darn

Antoine Doinel

#29 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:55 pm

Looks like Region 2 fans get some different extras (and they're including Donner's cut in the box) [from DavisDVD]:
The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection

Warner Home Video UK has announced The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection, and in doing so revealed noteworthy details for the extras not found in the Region 1 announcement!

Superman The Movie: Four-Disc Special Edition will include a commentary with executive producer Ilya Salkind and producer Pierre Spengler on the 1978 cut, "The Making of Superman: The Movie" Vintage TV Special, trailers, TV spots, the complete 1951 feature film "Superman and the Mole-Men" starring George Reeves, 9 Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements (Superman (aka The Mad Scientist), The Mechanical Monsters, Billion Dollar Limited, The Arctic Giant, The Bulleteers, The Magnetic Telescope, Electric Earthquake, Volcano, Terror on the Midway) and all the extras from the 2001 Expanded Edition DVD release.

Superman II: Three-Disc Special Edition will include the 1980 version with commentary with Salkind and Spengler, "The Making of Superman II" & "Superman 50th Anniversary" Vintage TV Specials, "First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series" featurette and 8 Famous Studios cartoons mastered from superior vault elements (Japoteurs, Showdown, Eleventh Hour, Destruction Inc., The Mummy Strikes, Jungle Drums, The Underground World, Secret Agent). The third disc in the set will include the 2006 "Richard Donner Cut" with an all-new introduction by director Richard Donner, a new commentary with Donner and creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz, "Superman II: Restoring the Vision" featurette, and Additional Scenes not integrated back into the recut.

Superman III: Deluxe Edition will include a commentary with Salkind and Spengler, "The Making of Superman III" Vintage TV Special, Additional Scenes and the trailer. Superman IV: Deluxe Edition will include a commentary with screenwriter Mark Rosenthal, Additional Scenes and the trailer.

It's interesting to note that the UK collection will include Richard Donner's Superman II (and accounts for the Region 2 set being 9 discs, while ours is 8 discs). Retail is £49.99 with a street date of November 20th.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#30 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:04 am

Another item I had hoped to see in an Ultimate Superman Box has been announced as a separate release, with Warner Bros. releasing a 4-Disc "Superman: The Theatrical Serials Collection" on November 28th.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... rials.html

-BJ

Gigi M.

#31 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:44 pm

dx23

#32 Post by dx23 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:32 pm

gigimonagas wrote:Some shitty artwork.
Agreed. And its shittier when you see the great Ultimated Edition that other regions are getting.

Gigi M.

#33 Post by Gigi M. » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:47 am

Amazon's pre-order

DrewReiber

#34 Post by DrewReiber » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:51 am

That Amazon listing is for the smaller of the two upcoming box sets. I don't think they're offering the 14 disc yet.

justeleblanc

#35 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:57 pm

Is it me or does the Donner Cut DVD Cover (with the pulling back of the shirt) imply that this is the X-Rated version... that Donner is possibly the name of a sex act, like the Dirty Donner.

Cinesimilitude

#36 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:35 am

with a different font that cover might be great. It's a lot better than the other films art.

Gigi M.

#37 Post by Gigi M. » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:05 pm

R1 will get the 14 - Disc Collector's Edition.

manicsounds

#38 Post by manicsounds » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:58 pm

Supergirl not included, it seems.

Cinesimilitude

#39 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:55 am

digitalbits has just announced that warner is releasing some (if not all) these films in HD on the same day (11/28). Superman The Movie and Superman 2 the Donner cut confirmed, more new to follow.

Fletch F. Fletch

#40 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm

Warner Bros. has now posted the entire "new" opening Daily Planet scene on their website.

DrewReiber

#41 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:34 pm

What did you think of it?

dx23

#42 Post by dx23 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:36 am

In what could be one of the biggest fuck ups in DVD history:
Super Blunder

Further Details:
Those of you who have pre-ordered copies of Warner Home Video's forthcoming Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition might want to think twice. Due to a massive technical blunder, the Superman III: Deluxe Edition discs contain the original 2001 release of the film, rather than the advertised disc with commentary, additional scenes and a vintage featurette.

Reports indicate that The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection and the individual release of Superman III: Deluxe Edition are unaffected. At this time there has been no word on whether or not Warner intend to issue replacement discs. Even if replacement discs are made available, non-US residents who purchased the set will most likely be left out in the cold. When you combine this with the fact that the advertised original 1978 Dolby Stereo soundtrack for Superman: The Movie is also missing, what could have been the year's best release becomes a less than attractive proposition...
Just great. I expect this from Universal, even Sony, not WB. They better do an easy to get replacement program, because if not, there are going to be a lot of really piss Superman fans.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#43 Post by cdnchris » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:54 pm

That's a big blunder, but I still picked it up. I'm sure there will be some replacement program. All I really cared about was the deleted scenes just to see, so I myself am not too upset about this. If they offer a replacement disc I'll go for it.

Wonderful set, otherwise, though (and I checked the third movie and it appears to be the original DVD release)

manicsounds

#44 Post by manicsounds » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:51 pm

From Digital Bits:
Finally, for you international (non U.S.) customers who may have purchased the Region 1 sets online via Amazon, Warner is checking with Amazon to confirm arrangements to make the corrected discs available to you. We're waiting to hear back from WHV to see if there will be a phone number or mailing address that other international customers (who may have purchased R1 sets online) can use to get the corrected discs. We'll try to let you know.
Good to know Warner USA is going to address this with importers,
with the US release being the most extensive in extras, I think many people will be or are thinking about importing it.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#45 Post by cdnchris » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:01 pm

Wow, I don't remember Superman 4 being that awesome. What a total, complete, and utter pice of shit, but I was glued to that disaster. What an unbelievable turd of a movie. The cheaper effects (and constant reuse of them) are hillarious, and I forgot how cheesy Nuclear Man was (when I was a kid I swore it was Patrick Swayze who played him), oh, and I also forgot about that brutal sequence where Superman/Clark Kent is trying to juggle two women ala Oscar Wilde. But I have to say, the film is a testament to Gene Hackman's abilities, as I felt he comes out unscathed. He has complete crap surrounding him but he still gives it his all (though I'm sure he was thinking this was it for him). What a pro.

I thought the DVD overall was pretty solid, even though there's very little on it. The deleted scenes were interesting to look at (the movie could have been actually much much worse, which is a shock, but the plot actually made a "little" more sense). But the commentary was probably the best aspect of it. The writer (the name slips my mind right now) discusses the original idea behind the fourth film and in all honesty it didn't sound that bad. It almost sounded like they inteded Nuclear Man to be closer to the Bizzarro Superman (and less cheesy) and the idea for the nuclear weapons plot and how Superman can't interfere sounded like it could have been pretty solid in its original form. But budget cuts and bad decisions all along the way definitly did it in (and a lot of trimming on action sequences). I don't know how good it could have been, but it would have been way better than what they ended up with (though I still don't think the juggling of two women would have worked, no matter how much the writer insisted in the commentary.)

I'll never ever watch that damn film again, but I'm actually glad I took a look at the DVD. Because of that I may actually now call up and get the DVD for the third film replaced because I'd love to hear the commentary on that one.

I've also looked at the Donner cut of Superman 2. I loved Superman 2 as a kid, but have to admit that when I watched it for the first time in years when I bought the original DVD release, I felt like my childhood had been raped. It was such a cheesy movie (though thankfully nowhere near 3), and while some parts still worked, overall the film left me feeling disappointed. I always remembered liking the second more than the first but felt very differently after watching it again.

But Donner's cut sticks closer to the first movie. He gets rid of a lot of the cheesy aspects. I didn't feel myself cringing every five minutes. It was also darker, and the three villains come off more serious this time around, and actually feel like a threat (it also amped up Zod's wish for revenge against Jor-El). It also flowed much better (that whole Paris bit actually brings the movie to a halt in the original version). It's still rough around the edges because they didn't have everything, but I still feel it's much better than Lester's version. Plus seeing Brando (despite the fact Jor-El may be his worst performance, next to The Score and Dr. Moreau anyways) again was a treat, and the whole conflict about Superman's powers works better with his father rather than his mother.

I was surprised how bitter Donner sounded in the extras, especially in the commentary. Everytime Lester came up you could almost hear him spewing up venom, and he comes terribly close to calling Lester's film a piece of excrement, though never actually says it. He was also VERY determined not to let any of Lester's footage in the film, but had to for story purposes in some parts. I figured he would have gotten over it by now, but I guess something like that will always be a wound for a director, no matter what the movie.

I'm also surprised how much leeway Warners have given commentary participants because so far in the commentaries, both 3 and 4 (and 2 to a certain extent) get ragged on pretty consistently.

It's going to take me a long while to get through this set, but just based on those two discs, which are slim in features compared to the other discs in the set, I can tell this is a solid release. This may be one of my favourite releases this year, up there with Arkadin and Warner's second Controversial Release set, despite the cock-up on Warner's part (but at least they'll fix it for me) But they do put decent work into their DVD releases, even for the films that don't really deserve it.

manicsounds

Re: Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition

#46 Post by manicsounds » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:38 pm

Alright, so I finally got this set, and it has the messed up discs. Did Warner ever issue an email address for customers or is it just a phone number to call?

manicsounds

#47 Post by manicsounds » Wed May 27, 2009 10:15 am

I contacted Warner Brothers via email, and told them about the problem, so they emailed me the correct discs very promptly. Great job WB! Thank you!

dx23

#48 Post by dx23 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:17 pm

manicsounds wrote:I contacted Warner Brothers via email, and told them about the problem, so they emailed me the correct discs very promptly. Great job WB! Thank you!
What was the email? I just got a defective set too.

manicsounds

#49 Post by manicsounds » Thu May 28, 2009 10:26 am

Warner Bros : Help

Sent an email there, and then got a response by someone, which happened to be some regular hotmail address. I was skeptical, but he claimed to be from Warner Bros, and he sent me the corrected discs overseas.

dx23

#50 Post by dx23 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks!