Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
DrewReiber

#1 Post by DrewReiber » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:40 pm

Ok, I didn't see this mentioned elsewhere on the Warner topic thread, but the studio is gearing up a new major re-release of the entire Superman series in summer/fall 2006. Possibilities being discussed right now:

- A restoration of Richard Donner's Superman II cut or at the very least an extensive deleted scene selection
- The inclusion of Supergirl (currently owned by Anchor Bay Entertainment)
- The full cut of Superman IV (which may or may not still exist)
- New documentaries for all four Superman films.

Preparation has been underway, including negotiations with Marlon Brando's estate (for Superman II), Ilya Salkind, Richard Donner on developing a wide variety of new supplements for all the entire Salkind produced features.

The DVD production is being overseen by Michael Thau, who was also responsible for the excellent Superman: The Motion Picture special edition released back in 2001. Rumor has it that they are also enlisting a DVD supplement developer called New Wave, a company I am not familiar with.

Updates are popping up on different forums including Hometheaterforum.com and Supermancinema.co.uk, with links provided to recent printed articles on the subject. There is a fascinating DVD Review piece on the history of the Richard Donner cut and the beginning of Warner's interest into the reality of reconstructing it. I'm not sure who is hosting it at the moment, but I can look if it can't be found.

Personally, I am mostly interested in that Donner Superman II. I can't really push myself to watch Lester's version anymore and what few insights I've had into that longer cut is just fascinating. I would buy the entire set in appreciation if Warner does indeed go that far. Any thoughts from you guys?
Last edited by DrewReiber on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrewReiber

#2 Post by DrewReiber » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:34 am

As far as I can tell, fans and Warner are far more behind the Superman II recut than they were for Batman Forever. First off, there was never any evidence that Warner even seriously considered it. The only notice I saw was a sidenote posted on Thedigitalbits.com's rumor mill. It was never officially spoken off, unless I missed something archived elsewhere.

Second, I don't think the online community was that united on the matter. I've seen the same 3 or 4 people continue posting how upset they were, but a lot of people either never embraced the film or have since lost interest. Again, I don't doubt that this Superman II thing could just disappear, but Richard Donner's work on Superman holds a very different mainstream interest than Joel Schumacher's Batman films.

I just don't think Warner could justify spending the money finish post-production for Forever, in much the same way I know they won't release the full cut of Superman IV unless it's just lying around somewhere finished (as the Supergirl full cut was). Maybe even then they still won't...
As for Supergirl, I'm happy with my Anchor Bay.
Yeah, that two disc set is really well done. If Warner decides to finally release Supergirl themselves, they better not lose any of the supplements in the transition.
The documentaries, however, I can't wait. I read the "Making of Superman: The Movie" book years ago and there's the material for a good docu.
If they just resort to the deleted scenes of II, which would be a tragedy IMO, they're going to have to provide context. A documentary on the battle over production would be pretty fascinating.
Another thing no one's talked about--presumably since Richard Lester is retired--is the extended Superman III footage that the Salkinds sold for TV too.
I've seen a couple people talk about it, but the discussion inevitably dies because the extensions were completely trivial. Unlike Batman Forever or Superman IV, there was nothing substantial trimmed from the release.
I didn't get the Batman set, but regardless of director's cut(s)--I'm hopefully for a theatrical option on Superman: The Movie--I'll be getting this one too.
I notice a lot of people keep talking about that. I personally prefer the Director's Cut, but I guess I can see where people are coming from (except over the soundtrack issues). In the case of this set (like the Alien Quadrilogy), they could potentially offer two different cuts for each film except for III.

Again, I don't know how serious Warner's interest would be in doing this. I'm more concerned about whether or not they can restore II, which involves a lot more problems than just missing scenes. Most of the existing theatrical Donner footage is butchered as presented, with key lines and shots dropped inbetween.

Pinback

#3 Post by Pinback » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:50 am

From The Guardian Online:
Superman director's cut can fly

Wednesday November 2, 2005

Guardian Unlimited

Christmas has come early for Superman film buffs: according to the latest issue of the sci-fi film magazine Dreamwatch, Warner Bros has given Richard Donner the green light to restore and release a director's cut of 1980's Superman II. In addition, Superman I, III and IV are also set for release as special edition DVDs.

Superman II is the episode of the franchise where the hero faces off against three escaped criminals from his home planet of Krypton, just at the point where he has renounced his superpowers to be with Lois Lane.

Fans of the celluloid Man of Steel will know that the first two Christopher Reeve-starring Superman films were more or less conceived as one film by Donner, and that he had more than two-thirds of the second film in the can before he was himself canned over creative differences and replaced by Richard Lester, leading to charges that Superman II became an uneven, campy mess because of it.

Super-philes have always known that a better version of Superman II exists somewhere - Margot Kidder, who played Lois Lane in the first four Superman films, claimed in 2004 that Donner had filmed enough to make his own cut, prompting a lobbying effort for Warner Bros to release a full cut of Donner's version. It looks like fan power has won out.

Some of the Donner-shot sequences, those featuring Marlon Brando, are already to be inserted in Bryan Singer's forthcoming Superman Returns. But with a restored Superman II and the soaring original to enjoy, fans will surely be up, up and away with joy.

Link

DrewReiber

#4 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:58 pm

Unfortunately, The Guardian misquoted the Dreamwatch article. Here is what it actually says:

http://supermancinema.co.uk/daily_plane ... ndex.shtml

"The studio has negotiated with Ilya Salkind for the release of Donner's footage, and it will be included with the new DVD release either as a bonus feature or in a new cut." Also, the Dreamwatch article is mistaken in that the existing Donner footage is closer to 80% of the finished film, not 60%.

Maybe the excitement raised by this press coverage, right or wrong, will provide additional incentive for Warner to finish the film properly?

Fletch F. Fletch

#5 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:03 pm

a Superman fan site has an interview with producer Ilya Salkind about the upcoming special editions, here: http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/ ... salkind-SE

Here are some of the highlights:

- According to Salkind, Time Warner now owns all of the footage shot for 1978's "Superman", 1980's "Superman II", 1983's "Superman III", 1984's "Supergirl", and 1987's "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" including distribution rights.

- Salkind plans to "do commentaries of [Superman] I, II, and III [and] Pierre [Spengler] did his already." In addition, Salkind would like to do a commentary track for "Supergirl", which was released on DVD previously by Anchor Bay Entertainment. "I'm going to do a commentary [on "Supergirl"] and this time hopefully Helen [Slater] will do it..."

- The biggest revelation of the interview concerns plans for "Superman II". Scenes shot by fired director Richard Donner (who directed "Superman: The Movie"), including all of Brando's work for the second film, may finally see the light of day. "There will be a Donner cut [of "Superman II"] from what I hear," Salkind said. "There will apparently be an original cut with the original music and more stuff." Whether the extra footage will be presented as an alternative version of the film or included as a supplement has not yet been determined.

- The theatrical version of "Superman II" that Richard Lester directed will also receive special attention on the new DVD. Though Lester - who also directed "Superman III" - has steadfastly refused to give interviews about his work on the Superman movies over the years, Salkind believes that "Lester might make an interview," he said. "[A]pparently Pierre convinced him to [consider it]," Salkind explained.

dx23

#6 Post by dx23 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:10 pm

The biggest revelation of the interview concerns plans for "Superman II". Scenes shot by fired director Richard Donner (who directed "Superman: The Movie"), including all of Brando's work for the second film, may finally see the light of day.
From what I've heard, Bryan Singer is going to also use some of the footage of Brando in his new Superman film.

DrewReiber

#7 Post by DrewReiber » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:45 am

dx23 wrote:From what I've heard, Bryan Singer is going to also use some of the footage of Brando in his new Superman film.
Some alternate dialogue from Superman: The Movie and unused dialogue (for now) from Superman II. Singer continues to emphasize that it's very little and more of a cameo than anything.

What makes this an easy sell, at least for me, is that we're talking about multiple recordings from a dead man that can be manipulated to represent different meanings and interactions. And this is a description that fits both Marlon Brando AND Jor-El.

dx23

#8 Post by dx23 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:42 pm

From thedigitalbits.com:
Late in 2006 (tentatively in November, timed to coincide with the DVD release of Bryan Singer's Superman Returns), look for a 14-disc Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition box set. This will feature new deluxe editions of all four of the original feature films, including a Superman II: Special Edition with something called The Donner Cut. This is being assembled by editor Michael Thaw based on the film's original shooting script and Donnor's original notes. At least 50% of the film will be footage you've never seen, more than 70% of it directed by Donner. You'll also get Richard Lester's final theatrical cut of the film. The Donner Cut will only be available on DVD in the Ultimate Collector's Edition box set, although it will also be released in HD-DVD (and likely Blu-ray Disc if that format is available).

We were actually shown a clip of the new Donner Cut at the event - the original opening to Superman II, in which Lois Lane notices a picture of Superman in a copy of The Daily Planet... and then she looks at Clark Kent standing nearby... and she begins drawing glasses, a suit and hat on the picture of Superman. She figures it out. Then she tells Clark she knows who she really is... and jumps out Perry White's office window to prove she's right. Clark runs at super-speed downstairs, and blows up at the falling Lois to slow her fall. She lands safely in a fruit stand, by which time Clark has already run back upstairs to preserve his identity. Someone asks him where Lois is, and he replies, "Uh... she just stepped out for a minute."

An interesting thing to note however, is that it seems Richard Donner himself hasn't yet been involved (and is not involved in cutting the new version of the film). During the event, I chatted with AICN's Drew McWeeny (well known as "Moriarty" over there) who told me that he's been interviewing Donner recently (watch for that to be posted on AICN soon). The director has reportedly told Drew that he's not really interested in revisiting the film. When asked during the event what Donner's involvement was (whether or not he'd do commentary, etc), Warner execs said, "That's still to be decided." Our guess is that the studio is still negotiating with Donner to participate, and that it's merely a matter of a dollar figure that everyone is happy with. Cross your fingers on this, because it'd be a real shame if he declined to be involved. FYI, IGN also has a brief interview with Donner that touches on this.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Here is the Donner interview with IGN:
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/684/684482p1.html

The Fanciful Norwegian

#9 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:48 am

14 discs for Superman I-IV? I know there's various alternate cuts but that seems a bit...excessive.

Ashirg

#10 Post by Ashirg » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:40 am

Maybe, it will include two Kirk Alyn serials, SUPERMAN (1948) and ATOM MAN VS. SUPERMAN (1950)

DrewReiber

#11 Post by DrewReiber » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:12 am

Ashirg wrote:Maybe, it will include two Kirk Alyn serials, SUPERMAN (1948) and ATOM MAN VS. SUPERMAN (1950)
Apparently it's Superman I-IV, Superman II: The Donner Cut, Supergirl, Superman Returns and Look Up in the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman.

If those are indeed the contents, it would probably break down as 2 discs per film (seperately), with a disc each for the Donner Cut (exclusive to the set) and the Kevin Burns documentary.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#12 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:13 pm

According to last night's chat with Warner's TV and Animation reps at Home Theater Forum, the Ultimate Superman Collection will include newly-remastered versions of the Fleischer Studios "Superman" cartoons.

-BJ

porquenegar

#13 Post by porquenegar » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:43 am

Buttery Jeb wrote:According to last night's chat with Warner's TV and Animation reps at Home Theater Forum, the Ultimate Superman Collection will include newly-remastered versions of the Fleischer Studios "Superman" cartoons.

-BJ
Now that I'm interesting in buying.

oldsheperd

#14 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:11 am

I think that Superman Doc. is going to be on A&E or Sci-Fi or some such channel next Wednesday I believe.

souvenir

#15 Post by souvenir » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:29 am

oldsheperd wrote:I think that Superman Doc. is going to be on A&E or Sci-Fi or some such channel next Wednesday I believe.
It's A&E and it premieres at 8 eastern next Monday.

Ashirg

#16 Post by Ashirg » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:47 am

It will be edited version

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#17 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:12 am

Well, here's first word on the upcoming Superman boxset, which now seems to be an 8-Disc "Christopher Reeve Superman Collection." No confirmation just yet on whether or not "Superman Returns" or Richard Donner's new cut of "Superman II" will be included in some version or another.

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/news/ ... le_ID=9413

-BJ

Jeff

#18 Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:02 pm

Sounds like they've decided to bag the inclusion of Superman Returns and the Look Up in the Sky, which I suppose makes sense. I don't understand why they are doing Superman: The Movie as a four-disc set, but breaking Superman II into two two-disc sets.

Gigi M.

#19 Post by Gigi M. » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:17 pm

The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection

Press release

exte

#20 Post by exte » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:44 am

Why include Supergirl in the "Christopher Reeve Superman Collection" when Chris isn't in it?

Jeff

#21 Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:17 am

exte wrote:Why include Supergirl in the "Christopher Reeve Superman Collection" when Chris isn't in it?

The press release is a little confusing. Supergirl isn't in the box.

According the the press release, the box has:

Superman: The Movie (4-disc)
Superman II: Theatrical Cut (2-disc)
Superman III
Superman IV

Supergirl and Superman II: The Donner Cut are being released separately the same day.

Antoine Doinel

#22 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:54 am

I think it's awful they're leaving the Donner cut of Superman II out of the box set. Could they not have turned Superman II into one three disc set? They acknowledge how requested the title has been but it's a bit of cheap shot to make fans buy the box set and then buy the Donner cut seperately.

djali999

#23 Post by djali999 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:23 pm

I think this is actually not the complete box, which would include Superman Returns, Supergirl, the longform docu, Fleisher shorts, Donner cut, etc. This is consistent with Warners' methods on other big titles as well. So if you just want Superman 1 - 4 then you can grab this at probably a lower price point.

cafeman

#24 Post by cafeman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:52 pm

They`re probably calling it "Chris Reeve Superman" set, to differentiate to the later just plain "Superman" set, no doubt followed by a bunch of superlatives.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#25 Post by Buttery Jeb » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:17 pm

The Digital Bits has a piece confirming that there will be no 14-disc set of the Superman films, just the 8-disc Christopher Reeves box, plus the separate "Superman II" Donner Cut and 2-disc "Superman Returns" releases (and maybe "Supergirl," although that's not mentioned).

-BJ