Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
therewillbeblus

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#2126 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:20 pm

Every once in a while this happens, but does anyone know why, on a Panasonic player,

a) some blu-ray discs don't seem to work? For instance, my Columbia Punch-Drunk Love special features blu-ray disc won't play in my 820, but will in my Sony

b) the player can get loud, like it's overheating, while playing certain 4K discs? This will happen randomly - whether I've been using it a lot, or not at all for days

nicolas

Technical Issues and Questions

#2127 Post by nicolas » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:57 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:Every once in a while this happens, but does anyone know why, on a Panasonic player,

a) some blu-ray discs don't seem to work? For instance, my Columbia Punch-Drunk Love special features blu-ray disc won't play in my 820, but will in my Sony

b) the player can get loud, like it's overheating, while playing certain 4K discs? This will happen randomly - whether I've been using it a lot, or not at all for days
That sounds terrible. Luckily, I never had any of the above happening with my 820. I feel like a broken record but did you already try a factory settings reset or unplugging, waiting half a minute then plugging the power chord back in again?

therewillbeblus

#2128 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:53 pm

Yeah I'm going to try that again, thanks! Not the end of the world since I have a backup player, just trying to figure out if it's a known thing with an easy fix. Sounds like maybe!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2129 Post by cdnchris » Thu May 09, 2024 10:49 am

We have a small TV mounted in our kitchen and sometimes my kids will hang out in there and watch something through streaming. They've been bugging me for a while to hook up a Blu-ray player but it's a tight spot and the only thing I can think that may work is one I can side mount to a cabinet. Is there a half decent player like that? Ideally, it would have to "clip" the disc in like a laptop drive.

Captain Paranoia

#2130 Post by Captain Paranoia » Thu May 09, 2024 3:05 pm

I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but is there a good 4K UHD/Blu-Ray player software for Mac or at least Windows? There are some 4K UHD players such as the BDR-XS07TUHD or the LG WH16NS60, but I can't seem to find any decent software with the possible exception of Leawo software.

nicolas

#2131 Post by nicolas » Thu May 09, 2024 4:25 pm

Captain Paranoia wrote:I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but is there a good 4K UHD/Blu-Ray player software for Mac or at least Windows? There are some 4K UHD players such as the BDR-XS07TUHD or the LG WH16NS60, but I can't seem to find any decent software with the possible exception of Leawo software.
Are you planning on playing discs back or would it be for ripped 4Ks and BDs? If it’s the latter, there are great players but disc playback is more difficult. I’ve used Cyberlink years ago on a Windows laptop for BD playback and had good experiences with it: https://cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd ... tures.html

Ripped files are much easier though and playable on macOS natively.

Captain Paranoia

#2132 Post by Captain Paranoia » Thu May 09, 2024 4:45 pm

I try to rip my discs as a disk image file and play them back on software (which can be done with software such as DVDFab and IMGBurn). I've used the free version of MacGo Blu-Ray Player which works well with Blu-Ray but it can't play 4K UHD discs so I'm hesitant to buy the full version. Part of the reason I'm looking for software that can play 4K UHD and Blu-Ray is so I can take screen caps of the menus and the video files which is difficult to find software that can do both.

nicolas

#2133 Post by nicolas » Thu May 09, 2024 5:30 pm

Captain Paranoia wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 4:45 pm
I try to rip my discs as a disk image file and play them back on software (which can be done with software such as DVDFab and IMGBurn). I've used the free version of MacGo Blu-Ray Player which works well with Blu-Ray but it can't play 4K UHD discs so I'm hesitant to buy the full version. Part of the reason I'm looking for software that can play 4K UHD and Blu-Ray is so I can take screen caps of the menus and the video files which is difficult to find software that can do both.
In that case, give the open source and free IINA player a try. This one has the ability to do screenshots and it should play BDMV files but I’m not 100% sure. MKV’s definitely work with that player but good old VLC works just as fine here.