Godzilla on DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
StevenJ0001

Re: Godzilla on DVD and Blu-ray

#126 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:40 am

Very welcome news. G2000 is quite underrated IMO. Looking forward to seeing the Japanese cut.

Erik Morton

#127 Post by Erik Morton » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:21 pm

Now that the entirety of the Shinsei series and all-but-one of the Heisei series have been either released or announced for US blu-ray, here's to hoping Classic Media steps up to the plate and finally upgrades their trove of Showa series goodness! (Okay, maybe not All Monsters Attack . . . .)

On another note, does anyone know the latest regarding the quagmire of rights issues surrounding The Return of Godzilla / Godzilla 1985? It's way up there on my list of dream Criterion releases, but heck, I'd even settle for an Echo Bridge disc at this point!

Movie-Brat

#128 Post by Movie-Brat » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:01 pm

I'd be very, very fine with a Criterion release of Return of Godzilla. If they want it that is but apparently word is that the original US distribution rights may expire in 2016 which leaves it up for grabs. I may be wrong though so anyone feel free to correct me, it's just that the US rights are a mess with that movie, man.

manicsounds

#129 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:50 pm

The 1974 Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla is the only one remaining that hasn't been re-released by Sony. Unless their rights for it has changed to someone else.

EddieLarkin

#130 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:59 pm

manicsounds wrote:The 1974 Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla is the only one remaining that hasn't been re-released by Sony. Unless their rights for it has changed to someone else.
They have. Sony no longer own any Showa era Godzilla properties. Presumably they've reverted back to Toho. Rumours are that Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla and Son of Godzilla will come in a second wave from Kraken Releasing.

EddieLarkin

#131 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:34 pm

arromdee wrote:There's a post on blu-ray.com which says that Destroyer is badly dubtitled: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... count=1488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I missed this when it was originally posted. To clarify:

Destoroyah does not have dubtitles. I don't speak Japanese so I don't how accurate the subtitles are, but every sentence is different from the dub itself, so it is completely inaccurate to refer to them as dubtitles. The scene that poster refers to appears to be subtitled fine:
Possibly the worst is while godzilla is melting and Yamane says "We're paying for our sins..." and the guy with her just repeats the end of her sentence, saying "paying for our sins" with a very declaratory tone. This is subtitled as "this is our atonement" with his response subtitled "For what?"
"This is our atonement" and "We're paying for our sins" mean exactly the same thing (though I feel the former says it much less clunkily). The guy's single word response to this is simply "tsugunai?" (atonement, penance, "paying for one's sins"), and so it's hardly inaccurate to subtitle it as "for what?" since he is indeed asking why this is their atonement/what they're atoning for. Ideally "Atonement?" would be better, but it's hardly something to get in a twist over like this guy has.

manicsounds

#132 Post by manicsounds » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:06 pm

I see that all the Toho scifi films released by Media Blasters on DVD are out of print and going for high prices. (Varan, Atragon, Latitude Zero, Space Amoeba, Matango, Mysterians, etc) Looks like the only releases they have are the Megalon and Destroy All Monsters movies

EddieLarkin

#133 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:09 am

manicsounds wrote:Looks like the only releases they have are the Megalon and Destroy All Monsters movies
These are shipping now and Media Blasters are already warning on their Facebook of the inevitability of them going out of print. DAM already went once so we're quite lucky to be getting it again. Anyone who wants these shouldn't hesitate, especially when importcds have them for around $10 each.

DAM has an incorrect colour space btw, which can be corrected the usual way. Maybe they've fixed it for this new pressing, but I doubt it. I imagine Megalon will be the same, though I'll confirm when I have it.

StevenJ0001

#134 Post by StevenJ0001 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:45 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
manicsounds wrote:Looks like the only releases they have are the Megalon and Destroy All Monsters movies
These are shipping now and Media Blasters are already warning on their Facebook of the inevitability of them going out of print. DAM already went once so we're quite lucky to be getting it again. Anyone who wants these shouldn't hesitate, especially when importcds have them for around $10 each.

DAM has an incorrect colour space btw, which can be corrected the usual way. Maybe they've fixed it for this new pressing, but I doubt it. I imagine Megalon will be the same, though I'll confirm when I have it.
Thanks for the heads up! BTW, what's the "usual way" of correcting the colour space?
Last edited by StevenJ0001 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EddieLarkin

#135 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:14 pm

StevenJ0001

#136 Post by StevenJ0001 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:54 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Here you go.
Thanks! :D

manicsounds

#137 Post by manicsounds » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:27 am

StevenJ0001

#138 Post by StevenJ0001 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:33 am

They sound like they could be fun!

EddieLarkin

#140 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs. Megalon both have proper subtitles. They both unfortunately need a colour space adjustment, as described above.

manicsounds

#141 Post by manicsounds » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Well, I've gotten all the Godzilla Sony titles, and going through most of them.
It's a bit of a shame that Godzilla 2000 excluded, all the movies are the US prints, meaning English titles, credits, and time and place captions. Luckily, none of the movies are cut or shortened from the Japanese versions, so it's a minor thing.

It may be a way to stop reverse importation to Japan, since a few of the movies have non-Japanese dialogue, and no Japanese subtitles for the scenes.
(On the other hand, the Echo Bridge "Godzilla Vs Biollante" used the Japanese master, so the English sequences had burned in Japanese subtitles, as it was theatrically in Japan.)

Also, the Japanese DVDs of the Godzilla movies had quite a lot of extras, I really wish Toho would license out the extras as well, but the US sets only get a minor amount.

hanshotfirst1138

#143 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:37 am

I wish for nostalgia's sake that some of those AIP dubs could somehow be preserved.