Universal Cinema Classics

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
OliverB

#76 Post by OliverB » Tue May 06, 2008 4:46 pm

davidhare wrote:Oliver my apologies if you caught my now deleted post - I obviously misread you to think you were querying whether the Uni originals have those fucking security tabs, like the Pararmount single cases. Do you really LIKE these????? I think they are hideous and yet another reason (of many) to throw out all standard covers for ever burgeoning collections. Thank god for scratch proof plastic sleeves.
They don't bother me eitherway to be honest. I just want to keep some consistency within the series and since I only need a couple of replacement covers, and since I am bound to continue purchasing any future waves of Cinema Classics that Universal releases, I thought I might as well look for the security tab replacements. I can understand how people aren't partial to them, but they really aren't that big of a hassle. It takes all of one half a millisecond to open over any other type of packaging and certainly not anymore of a hassle than digipaks or multi-disc box sets. So no, I don't mind them. I'd like to replace the cases that I ruined by attempting to remove the TCM Robert Osborne introduction stickers that Universal decided to paste right on the damn plastic instead of over the shrink wrap as logic and better judgment would dictate.

souvenir

Re: Universal Cinema Classics

#77 Post by souvenir » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:04 pm

Has anybody watched the No Man of Her Own disc? I can't find one single review online. This was the only screen pairing of Clark Gable and Carole Lombard.

Haggai

#78 Post by Haggai » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:01 pm

souvenir wrote:Has anybody watched the No Man of Her Own disc? I can't find one single review online. This was the only screen pairing of Clark Gable and Carole Lombard.
I rented the disc and watched it a while back, maybe a few months ago. Are you just wondering about the transfer quality? From what I remember, it was pretty good.

souvenir

#79 Post by souvenir » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:17 am

The Universal Cinema Classics line is apparently still alive and ready to roll out four new additions in May...of films already on DVD. Preston Sturges' Christmas in July and Hail the Conquering Hero are scheduled to get individual releases alongside My Little Chickadee and DeMille's The Sign of the Cross. No extras are indicated.

This seems to be the direction Universal is going instead of bringing out unreleased catalog titles to DVD. The films in the Gregory Peck set are also getting individual releases.