Hunchback of Notre Dame

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

Hunchback of Notre Dame

#1 Post by Lino » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:23 am

The 1939 version.

I've just stumbled across this one and was unaware of it until now. From what I've been reading, it's one of the best screen adaptations of Victor Hugo's classic book. There are sadly no professional reviews for the Warner disc online. More input is of course much appreciated.

A very early Beaver review.

HerrSchreck

#2 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:28 am

One of the best films of 1939 and definitely the best talkie version of the film.. one of Laughton's greatest achievements ever, as well as post Germany Dieterle. An absolute masterpiece in absolutely every department.

Schkura

#3 Post by Schkura » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:40 am

I saw this a while back on TCM and I'm with H.S. in every respect. I would likewise appreciate an appraisal of this disc from someone in the know.

Ashirg

#4 Post by Ashirg » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:31 pm

Lino wrote:There are sadly no professional reviews for the Warner disc online.
Review

Lino

#5 Post by Lino » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:04 am

Fantastic film, superb performance by Laughton, a disc in serious need of an upgrade by Warner but the whole experience was almost ruined by the extremely OTT performance by the guy that played Gringoire. Still, everything else was too good for him to spoil it. Great, great movie and one I shall be recommending to every one of my closest friends. That's what you do with such treasures.

Zazou dans le Metro

#6 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:03 am

First film that ever terrified me as a kid. Really hoping that MoC follow up Daniel Webster with a Dieterle fest including this. There doesn't seem to be an R2 in print?

dr. calamari

#7 Post by dr. calamari » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:59 am

Fantastic film, superb performance by Laughton, a disc in serious need of an upgrade by Warner but the whole experience was almost ruined by the extremely OTT performance by the guy that played Gringoire.
The performer you're thinking of is Edmond O'Brien, whose first film performance this is, if I remember correctly. Fortunately he matured and went on to do some pretty good work, most notably in D.O.A. (1950)...but I agree, whenever he's onscreen in Hunchback, he pretty much drags the whole thing to a standstill.

hamsterburger

Re: Hunchback of Notre Dame

#8 Post by hamsterburger » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:45 am

Does anyone know if this old snapper has been re-released as a regular keep case?

Murdoch

#9 Post by Murdoch » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:31 pm

I got it from amazon about six months ago and it was the snapper.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#10 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:53 pm

I just noticed this newish release of Hunchback on Amazon. Is Turner Home Entertainment affiliated with TCM/Warners?

starmanof51

#11 Post by starmanof51 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:03 pm

swo17 wrote:I just noticed this newish release of Hunchback on Amazon. Is Turner Home Entertainment affiliated with TCM/Warners?
Saw this yesterday in Sam's Club for about seven bucks.

Roger Ryan

#12 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:36 pm

swo17 wrote:I just noticed this newish release of Hunchback on Amazon. Is Turner Home Entertainment affiliated with TCM/Warners?
I assumed they were one-and-the-same by now...Turner Home Entertainment buys MGM, Warners buys Turner, Warners owns Turner Classic Movies, etc.

Don't most of the R.K.O. / MGM releases from Warners carry a "Turner Home Entertainment" credit? The WIZARD OF OZ does (in the fine print).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:40 pm

That's just a keepcase repackaging of a Warners snapper with new art, ala Little Women