Dark City: Director's Cut (Proyas, 1998)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
a.khan

#1 Post by a.khan » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:17 am

"Dark City" is one of my favourite films of all time. A director's cut was supposed to come out on DVD last year (Ebert mentioned it in one of his Great Movies articles) but didn't. Anyone know the status on its release?

THX1378

#2 Post by THX1378 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:56 am

I've been waiting for this for a while. It's aready a great film, and one of the best Sci-Fi films since Blade Runner. I've asked around and no one really even knows whats going to be added to the film, or taken out. I would hope that the new dvd has a making of doc, plus DTS sound.

Greathinker

#3 Post by Greathinker » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:23 pm

Hopefully there will be less parts with Kiefer Sutherland's character.

a.khan

#4 Post by a.khan » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:49 am

Greathinker wrote:Hopefully there will be less parts with Kiefer Sutherland's character.
Sutherland's mad, stuttering Dr. Schreber is, for me, an indispensable part of the film! Interestingly, Ben Kingsley was supposed to play this part, but couldn't. Proyas mentions in his commentary that Sutherland's young age makes the character more tragic…
THX1378 wrote:I've asked around and no one really even knows whats going to be added to the film, or taken out.
Well, one thing's certain: They will be removing Dr. Schreber's opening voiceover that gives away the mystery. New Line made Proyas include it so that the audience wouldn't have to wait for half-an-hour to figure out what's going on…

THX1378

#5 Post by THX1378 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:04 pm

Well, one thing's certain: They will be removing Dr. Schreber's opening voiceover that gives away the mystery. New Line made Proyas include it so that the audience wouldn't have to wait for half-an-hour to figure out what's going on…
I always thought it was a lttle out of place for the film. It would have been better to have keep this out of the film because then there would have been the WTF factor is going on here.

a.khan

#6 Post by a.khan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:11 pm

Finally, some news:
Cinematical wrote:According to Twitch, Fangoria Radio recently chatted with David Goyer (who co-wrote the screenplay) about The Invisible. While chatting about the film, he mentioned that he had been working with director Alex Proyas on the director's cut -- with, as Twitch describes, "beefed up special effects and a new and improved sound mix."... Not surprisingly, there was no word on when it would be released. By now, I think it would make sense to wait until 2008, and have it be a 10th Anniversary Edition.

lord_clyde

#7 Post by lord_clyde » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:42 pm

a.khan wrote:
THX1378 wrote:I've asked around and no one really even knows whats going to be added to the film, or taken out.
Sweet, the one problem I always had with the movie is being fixed!

Svevan

#8 Post by Svevan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:19 am

But another one may be introduced:
beefed up special effects
The ending of this film is already terrible, and improving the special effects won't help. Hopefully Proyas has an alternate ending, or will at least remove the stupid "mind fight," where most of the CGI in the film took place.

Doug Cummings

#9 Post by Doug Cummings » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:29 am

Yes, "beefed up special effects" is the last thing this movie needs...hopefully that's ad copy and little more.

a.khan

#10 Post by a.khan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:37 am

I am so tired of waiting!

With New Line folding into Warner Bros, may be someone should ask them for an update in the next HTF chat. Does anybody know when that is?

Fletch F. Fletch

#11 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:31 pm

Here's a bit more info.

a.khan

#12 Post by a.khan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:37 pm

Fletch, you just made my day! Thank you.

MilkManX

#13 Post by MilkManX » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:44 pm

I cant wait for this one. I love that movie.

Murdoch

#14 Post by Murdoch » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:35 pm

lord_clyde wrote:
a.khan wrote:
Sweet, the one problem I always had with the movie is being fixed!
You know, I never really thought about it until now, but it was a big problem. I love this movie, the main character's name is actually the inspiration for my username. With this news I am stoked for its release, I'm always hesitant towards director's cuts because I'm afraid of watching a movie I no longer recognize. However, with Gilliam's Brazil and Blade Runner final cuts I'm now more open to them.

Is there any news on a release date?

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#15 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Twitch has news pegging this as being released on July 29th, with artwork and a (currently nonfunctional) link to a ad in Home Media Magazine.

http://www.twitchfilm.net/site/view/dar ... e-to-be-h/

-BJ

dx23

#16 Post by dx23 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:17 pm

THX1378

#17 Post by THX1378 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:01 pm

I really don't like the artwork, but I'm glad that it's coming out finaly.

kaujot

#18 Post by kaujot » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:04 pm

Hopefully they keep Ebert's commentary.

a.khan

#19 Post by a.khan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:13 pm

kaujot wrote:Hopefully they keep Ebert's commentary.
It's definitely there. I remember reading somewhere that Ebert recorded *additional* comments for the newly inserted footage.

That artwork is a huge disappointment. It bares almost no resemblance to the film's aesthetic; although it would seem like a page from Patrick Tatopoulos' production sketchbook. But, as THX1378 put it, I'm just glad the DVD is finally coming out.

THX1378

#20 Post by THX1378 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:19 pm

It's been said that Ebert made a new comentary about the changed in the film. I bet it will cover also about how The Matrix and this film cover the same ground. I would hope that they have both cuts and both sets of commentarys on it.

miless

#21 Post by miless » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:36 pm

I honestly never thought this would actually come out (as it has been rumored since the original DVD came out)

Murdoch

#22 Post by Murdoch » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:03 pm

dx23 wrote:Image
For the movie being called Dark City, that cover uses a lot of white. I don't like the font they used at all, I would have liked a DVD cover much like the previous one, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

a.khan

#23 Post by a.khan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:27 pm

The font is the same one used for Burton's "Batman" movie series. This is the first sign of the WB influence on New Line.

Here's the hi-res package shot of artwork for "Dark City: DC." I don't like it all, but there's no use complaining. May be one of our gracious designers can do full justice to the film by doing a custom DVD cover and making it available.

Antoine Doinel

#24 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri May 09, 2008 11:57 am

THX1378 wrote:It's been said that Ebert made a new comentary about the changed in the film.
Ebert hasn't done a new commentary for the changed film and it's up the air whether his old commentary will be ported over.

From his Answer Man column this week:
Q. Many films in the past have come out with more than one edition, "extended versions" and what not. Do you believe it is indulgent for directors to release different versions of the same movie? "Dark City," which is one of your Great Movies, is being re-released as a Director's Cut on July 29. Does this excite you? Or make your stomach churn?
Brice J. Hagerman, Galloway, Ohio

A. I find such cuts interesting, but important only if they represent a director's intended version rather than if they are just sort of noodling around. I prefer self-contained "deleted scenes" rather than a re-edited movie. And you didn't ask, but I hope they keep my brilliant commentary track under the parts that didn't change.

miless

#25 Post by miless » Fri May 09, 2008 1:13 pm

did Ebert just call his own commentary brilliant?