Meet Me in St. Louis

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Panda

#26 Post by Panda » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:55 pm

Yes, Yes, "Meet Me in St. Louis" is indeed all that has been written here.

I am quite familiar with the film from numerous TV showings and now your incessant ranting (or is that raving) has driven me to order the film from the recent sale. A mere $13.02 from DD DVD. It has arrived today.

If the restoration is as good as you suggest, I'll be very happy.

Panda

Michael

#27 Post by Michael » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:55 pm

If the restoration is as good as you suggest, I'll be very happy.
No need to worry about that. Warners treatment of Meet Me in St. Louis is worth more than Liz's sapphire. PRICELESS! And I hope you enjoy the movie as much I am these days when I find myself longing to spin the disc again and again. I'm its tootsie-wootsie now and always.

Ivy Mike

#28 Post by Ivy Mike » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:52 am

Stumbled upon this interesting article about the use of color in Meet Me in St. Louis.

Michael

#29 Post by Michael » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:17 pm

Jeff

Re: Meet Me in St. Louis

#30 Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Have yourself a merry little Christmas:
WHV Press Release wrote:MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS

Premium Blu-ray™ Book Debut on December 13

With a Bonus CD Soundtrack Sampler

Burbank, CA., August 15, 2011 – Meet Me in St. Louis, the Hollywood musical classic starring the incomparable Judy Garland (Wizard of Oz, A Star is Born), will become available on Blu-ray™ disc for the first time on December 13 from Warner Home Video (WHV).

The fan-favorite, nominated for four Oscars® and headlined by one of the most talented and beloved stars of the 20th century, stars two other Hollywood’s legendary leading ladies as well -- Margaret O’Brien (Jane Eyre-1943, Little Women) and Mary Astor (Maltese Falcon, The Great Lie). Meet Me in St. Louis was one of the two highest grossing MGM releases in 20 years.

Meet Me in St. Louis will be offered in WHV’s premium Blu-ray™ book packaging ($35.99 SRP) including more than 40 pages of photos, trivia and more. Pre-order date is November 8. This disc contains a wide variety of bonus features (see below).

About Meet Me in St. Louis

In a role considered one of her favorites, a 22-year-old Judy Garland stars in this warm turn-of-the-century delight presented for the first time on Blu-ray™. Set in 1903, the captivating musical is a slice of Americana, dealing with the Smith family’s experiences during the year of the St. Louis World’s Fair. Directed by Vincente Minnelli (father of Liza),Judy Garland has never been more winning as she pines for “The Boy Next Door,” tells a seven-year-old Margaret O’Brien (awarded a special Oscar® as 1944’s outstanding child actress) to “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” and sings about the clang-clang-clang in “The Trolley Song.”

Meet Me in St. Louis’ extra content features include:

- Introduction by Liza Minnelli
- Commentary by Garland biographer John Fricke with Margaret O’Brien, screenwriter Irving Brecher, songwriter Hugh Martin and daughter of producer Arthur Freed, Barbara Freed-Saltzman
- Meet Me in St. Louis: The Making of an American Classic (Narrated by Roddy McDowall)
- Hollywood: The Dream Factory (Emmy-Award winning 1972 MGM-TV special, narrated by Dick Cavett-- First time on home video)
- Becoming Attractions: Judy Garland (1996 TCM special)
- Meet Me in St. Louis (1966 TV pilot with Shelley Fabares and Celeste Holm)
- Bubbles (1930 Warner Bros. short featuring Judy Garland at age 7)
- Skip To My Lou (Rare 1941 musical short with Meet Me in St. Louis composers Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane)
- Audio Vault
o Boys and Girls Like You and Me outtake (reconstruction using still photographs)
o Lux Radio Theater Broadcast from December 2, 1946

CSM126

#31 Post by CSM126 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:53 am

DVDBeaver

Anyone want to venture what this line is even supposed to mean from the review:
You could easily play this Blu-ray with video.

Jonathan S

#32 Post by Jonathan S » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:31 am

As he's writing about the impressiveness of the soundtrack, I think he means "without video"!

Matt

#33 Post by Matt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:19 pm

I wonder if Gary knows you can "easily" do that with any DVD or BD.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#34 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:29 pm

Why would you ever disable the video to a movie when there could be nudity at any moment?

hearthesilence

#35 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:28 am

BAM is screening this all weekend - anyone go yet? I'm wondering about the print quality and whether it's an IB Tech print.

hanshotfirst1138

#36 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:36 am

hearthesilence wrote:BAM is screening this all weekend - anyone go yet? I'm wondering about the print quality and whether it's an IB Tech print.
Why wouldn't it just be a DCP?

Incidentally, why does the Blu-ray omit the damn mono?!

hearthesilence

#37 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:07 am

I wound up going. Excellent 35mm print, not sure if it was an IB Tech print but it did not have that browning that can come with a vintage IB tech print.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#38 Post by Drucker » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 am

I would think they would advertise an IB tech print, no? They did when they screened Vertigo.