DVD Cataloguing Software

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Cash Flagg

#51 Post by Cash Flagg » Sun May 11, 2008 4:47 pm

I primarily use DVDAF. DVD Spot is useful for statistics, though they have difficulty with double feature discs. Also, they have possibly the worst film forums I have ever seen.

dx23

DVD Spot Shutting Down

#52 Post by dx23 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:17 pm

On Wednesday October 15th DVDSpot will be closed permanently. This decision was made to allow us to focus on other great web properties. We sincerely appreciate everyone's contribution to the DVDSpot community and hope you enjoyed the free services it provided. We understand many people will not want to lose their personal collection data, so we remind you that you can export that data to file by going to Membership Tools while logged in and clicking the Export to File button. This will create a file with all movies in your Owned and Watched lists. Also keep in mind the editor system for approving DVD additions and edits has been disabled, so no new or edited DVDs will be added.
Those of you who have your collection data over there should do a backup as soon as possible.

Luke M

Re: DVD Spot Shutting Down

#53 Post by Luke M » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Wow. That blows.

kaujot

#54 Post by kaujot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:00 am

I prefer their interface to any other online cataloging site. Lame.

LightBulbFilm

#55 Post by LightBulbFilm » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:33 am

If any of you belonged to the forum and "refugee" forum has been set up, just shout out and I'll post the link. Fuck CNET.

brendanjc

#56 Post by brendanjc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:55 pm

Does anyone have suggestions on a replacement, even if it lacks the ability to import my DVDSpot data? I need something that allows you to store watched/unwatched and price information at minimum.

dx23

#57 Post by dx23 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:02 pm

brendanjc wrote:Does anyone have suggestions on a replacement, even if it lacks the ability to import my DVDSpot data? I need something that allows you to store watched/unwatched and price information at minimum.
DVDProfiler. It's the one I've been using the most.

edit: blu-ray.comadded a "My Collection" application on their website for the BD discs you may have.

JHunter

#58 Post by JHunter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:45 pm

brendanjc wrote:Does anyone have suggestions on a replacement, even if it lacks the ability to import my DVDSpot data? I need something that allows you to store watched/unwatched and price information at minimum.
Let me second DVD Profiler. It has what you are looking for (storing watched data, price info, etc.), plus it is an offline program as well, so you don't need to worry about losing data if something goes wrong. One of the users created a Migration tool for DVD Spot users to import their data into the program.

The cost is $30, but it is a one-time fee good for all future versions (and the program has been around for almost 10 years), plus the beta for 3.5 is already available.

LightBulbFilm

#59 Post by LightBulbFilm » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:50 pm

What's good for Mac use?

maxic

#60 Post by maxic » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:46 am

LightBulbFilm wrote:What's good for Mac use?
The best cataloging tool for Mac is Delicious Library 2.

My choice for Windows - All My Movies

Nadsat

#61 Post by Nadsat » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:25 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:What's good for Mac use?
Check also DVDpedia from www.bruji.com.

Matt

Re: DVD Cataloguing Software

#62 Post by Matt » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Anyone know of a cataloging option that includes aspect ratio and anamorphic enhancement data? I'm thinking of weeding all the non-anamorphic titles from my collection.

dx23

#63 Post by dx23 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Matt wrote:Anyone know of a cataloging option that includes aspect ratio and anamorphic enhancement data? I'm thinking of weeding all the non-anamorphic titles from my collection.
DVDProfiler.

Antares

New website

#64 Post by Antares » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:28 pm

dx23 wrote:
On Wednesday October 15th DVDSpot will be closed permanently. This decision was made to allow us to focus on other great web properties. We sincerely appreciate everyone's contribution to the DVDSpot community and hope you enjoyed the free services it provided. We understand many people will not want to lose their personal collection data, so we remind you that you can export that data to file by going to Membership Tools while logged in and clicking the Export to File button. This will create a file with all movies in your Owned and Watched lists. Also keep in mind the editor system for approving DVD additions and edits has been disabled, so no new or edited DVDs will be added.
Those of you who have your collection data over there should do a backup as soon as possible.
After CNET shut down DVDSpot last year, many people in their forum community were left stranded. A couple of members started their own forum called Bulletpointreview, so the community would have a place to gather.

Well, a little over one year after the beginning of the forum site, they've launched a new and better website devoted to the latest news from Television, Film, DVD and Music.

Not only will it offer the latest breaking news, but the forums will sponsor a varied amount of contests for its members. C'mon over and check it out.

http://www.bprmedia.com/

Erikht

#65 Post by Erikht » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:25 pm

I would like to catalogue my DVDs because of insurance. The only way I can see myself loosing the collection would be because of fire, or extremely cultured thieves. Both will probably take my laptop. Does any of these programmes store the information online, like The Library Thing does?

fiddlesticks

#66 Post by fiddlesticks » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Two suggestions:
DVD Aficionado (http://www.dvdaf.com/) is entirely online, and is free. (Here's my collection, to see what it looks like when in use.)
DVD Profiler (http://www.invelos.com/) has both online and PC components, and costs $30 US.

GringoTex

#67 Post by GringoTex » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:51 pm

What about movie cataloging software? I use Ant Movie Catalogue. Is there a better one?

Erikht

#68 Post by Erikht » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:15 pm

fiddlesticks wrote:Two suggestions:
DVD Aficionado (http://www.dvdaf.com/) is entirely online, and is free. (Here's my collection, to see what it looks like when in use.)
DVD Profiler (http://www.invelos.com/) has both online and PC components, and costs $30 US.
A grown man shouldn't ask this in this time and age, but how do I add a film to My Collection in DVDAficionado? I have registered and have the "My Home Page" up, but no great big glaring Red button with "ADD FILM HERE; STUPID" has showed up.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#69 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Look up title, select, pull down place in drop-down menu for film to be put into (you have to create folders first, though)

kaujot

#70 Post by kaujot » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Honestly, DVDProfiler is easily worth the $30 I paid for it.

fiddlesticks

#71 Post by fiddlesticks » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:31 pm

Erikht wrote:A grown man shouldn't ask this in this time and age, but how do I add a film to My Collection in DVDAficionado? I have registered and have the "My Home Page" up, but no great big glaring Red button with "ADD FILM HERE; STUPID" has showed up.
Search for the title. If the film is in the database, any DVD versions that they know about will display. Find the one you want, click the checkbox next to it, and use the "move to" function, which is just above the first DVD found. Even if you haven't set up any folders, you should have a default folder called "OWNED" you can dump it into.

But here's the rub: I wonder how many of your recently-acquired Finnish titles will already be in DVDAF's database (or, for that matter, DVD Profiler's). You need the exact DVD to be there if you want to use this as an insurance backup. If you have some obscure Finnish release of Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise, it does you no good insurance-wise to add the OOP Fox U.S. version to your DVDAF collection, you have to have the Finnish release. Users can add new DVDs to the database, and it's not too difficult, but if you have to do it nearly every time, as I suspect you might, it quickly would become a pain in the Scandinavia. Before I invested a lot of time in this, I'd search for some of my more obscure titles to see how much work you have ahead of you.

JHunter

#72 Post by JHunter » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:06 am

kaujot wrote:Honestly, DVDProfiler is easily worth the $30 I paid for it.
As a note, the 3.6 Beta is currently available for testing and an iPhone app that will sync with the program is coming soon. Plus, a revamp of the on-line portion, with a premium version coming that will allow changes to be made from the web instead of the desktop version.

Zumpano

#73 Post by Zumpano » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:43 am

I purchased Delicious Library 2 for Mac per the suggestion in this thread. Very easy to use. It uses the camera on my Mac to scan the UPC codes. This makes my list building run very quickly. And for $40, it will keep a list of your DVDs, CDs, LPs, books, videogames, software, iTunes downloads. I've only been using it for one day so far, but am very pleased.

Thanks for the suggestion maxic.

Erikht

#74 Post by Erikht » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:17 pm

fiddlesticks wrote:
Erikht wrote:A grown man shouldn't ask this in this time and age, but how do I add a film to My Collection in DVDAficionado? I have registered and have the "My Home Page" up, but no great big glaring Red button with "ADD FILM HERE; STUPID" has showed up.
Search for the title. If the film is in the database, any DVD versions that they know about will display. Find the one you want, click the checkbox next to it, and use the "move to" function, which is just above the first DVD found. Even if you haven't set up any folders, you should have a default folder called "OWNED" you can dump it into.

But here's the rub: I wonder how many of your recently-acquired Finnish titles will already be in DVDAF's database (or, for that matter, DVD Profiler's). You need the exact DVD to be there if you want to use this as an insurance backup. If you have some obscure Finnish release of Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise, it does you no good insurance-wise to add the OOP Fox U.S. version to your DVDAF collection, you have to have the Finnish release. Users can add new DVDs to the database, and it's not too difficult, but if you have to do it nearly every time, as I suspect you might, it quickly would become a pain in the Scandinavia. Before I invested a lot of time in this, I'd search for some of my more obscure titles to see how much work you have ahead of you.
Luckily, those Finnish titles will be catalouged in the Norwegian Academic Library System - Bibsys - by somebody else. Unfortunatelyfor the rest of you, the catalouging information will be in Norwegian, even if the engine is searcable in English, as you can see here. (See how "original title" says "The last man"? I will have to talk to the catalouger about that.).