Haneke on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
yoshimori

Haneke on DVD

#1 Post by yoshimori » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:13 am

Haneke box (including Seventh Continent, Benny's Video, and 71 Fragments)

French subs; but French and English (though not German) audio are listed - surely some kind of mistake, though alapage and fnac both have the same odd language listings. fnac adds that there'll be a Haneke interview and cut scenes from Benny's Video.

yoshimori

#2 Post by yoshimori » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:09 am

Got the set today. Superslim casings. German language with French subs. Unfortunately, as expected, no English. An hour-long set of interviews with Haneke, and 15 minutes of deleted scenes from Benny's Video. The transfers look, at first glance, ok but not great, iyam.

der_Artur

#3 Post by der_Artur » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:45 pm

Are the french subs removable?
What is the language of the Haneke Interviews?

yoshimori

#4 Post by yoshimori » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:55 pm

Removable French subs. Interviews in French (no subs).

yoshimori

#5 Post by yoshimori » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:52 pm

And... those checking this thread may be interested to learn that the transfer of Das Schloss (1996) I got from amazon.de today looks very good. No English subs, but, surprisingly, also no French subs, though the latter are advertised on every site I've checked. Extra: 11 minute interview auf deutsch, with Haneke.

franco

#6 Post by franco » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:51 am

godardslave

#7 Post by godardslave » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:53 am

yet again, we can but lament the decision not to include english subs on these wonderful european films and boxsets. Very sad.

franco

#8 Post by franco » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:26 am

Tu peux Etudier le francais, tu sais

like how you get a region-free DVD player

I just need to find a vendor whose merchandise does not get charged the fudging Canadian customs.

godardslave

#9 Post by godardslave » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:29 am

Franco wrote:Tu peux Etudier le francais, tu sais

like how you get a region-free DVD player
Unfortunately, languages are my weak point.

If only i could buy a language at amazon for $79.99, probably one day in the future, you will be able to.

but you are right though, i really should learn french, its time.

spencerw

#10 Post by spencerw » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:27 am

Some news from Matt over on the Kino thread:
Kino's 2006 catalog just arrived in the mail. Forthcoming are:

Michael Haneke's The Seventh Continent, Benny's Video, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance, and Funny Games. All $24.95 MSRP, all no doubt PAL>NTSC transfers

denti alligator

#11 Post by denti alligator » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:29 pm

DVDBeaver only provides one useful comparison of Code Unknown, making it clear that the UK Artificial Eye DVD is better. What about the others? Time of the Wolf and Funny Games? Are the R1 versions good? R2 version? Anyone know or know of a comparison site?

All the R2 editions are on sale at amazon.co.uk, so if they're good I want to jump at my chance to get these.

(Also, what's with the horse slaughter scene in Time of the Wolf? Mild cat torture and fake poisoning via sedative is fine, but actual slaughter of a horse? Does this really happen?)

ben d banana

#12 Post by ben d banana » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:07 pm

Did you try DVD Basen? From my previous checking no English subbed version of Funny Games was decent.

I haven't seen Time of the Wolf since I saw it at the VIFF and can't distinctly recall a horse slaughter. I'd be worried it would get edited in the UK, but I didn't see a mention of any cuts in reviews so I ordered the AE when it originally went on sale.

denti alligator

#13 Post by denti alligator » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:19 pm

Thanks. Reviews of the Tartan Funny Games disc are not too favorable. Artifacts, non-anamorphic, burnt-in subs. The R1 version is said to be better, but a) is out of print and b) has burnt in subtitles. Surprised there isn't a German DVD. Too bad, as I'd like to have this without subs (or the option to remove them).

There's a German DVD of Haneke's version of Kafka's Castle, too.

Looks like the R1 Time of the Wolf is to be avoided.

marty

#14 Post by marty » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:04 am

A few months ago Accent released a R4 DVD of Code Unknown and it looks and sounds very good.

yoshimori

#15 Post by yoshimori » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:24 am

According to this thread (and the Kino catalog), Kino's due to put out Seventh Continent, 71 Fragments, and Benny's Video in spring '06.

denti alligator

#16 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:57 am

yoshimori wrote:According to this thread (and the Kino catalog), Kino's due to put out Seventh Continent, 71 Fragments, and Benny's Video in spring '06.
Yes, once it's confirmed that these are inferior PAL->NTSC transfers I'll be ordering the French set.

I wonder who will get the rights to Cache? I hope not Kino in region-one land if it will look anything like their Code Unknown.

Andre Jurieu

#17 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:01 am

denti alligator wrote:I wonder who will get the rights to Cache?
Sony Pictures Classics.

denti alligator

#18 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:35 am

Andre Jurieu wrote:
denti alligator wrote:I wonder who will get the rights to Cache?
Sony Pictures Classics.
well, that's good-ish news.

yoshimori

#19 Post by yoshimori » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:05 am

denti alligator wrote:Yes, once it's confirmed that these are inferior PAL->NTSC transfers I'll be ordering the French set.
Probably reasonable, if your french is better than mine. I have the GCTHV box. Here's the thread on that.

Galen Young

#20 Post by Galen Young » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:25 am

Despite the burned-in subtitles, the image quality on the R1 of Funny Games is way better than fine, considering Koch Lorber's usual crappy track record.
denti alligator wrote:Looks like the R1 Time of the Wolf is to be avoided.

The Palm Pictures R1? I think it looks terrific! Yes, the horse slaughter is there. Plus interviews with Haneke and Huppert and a batch of behind the scenes footage makes for a really nice package. It saddens me that Kino got their mitts on the early Haneke features...

spencerw

#21 Post by spencerw » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:56 am

denti alligator wrote:DVDBeaver only provides one useful comparison of Code Unknown, making it clear that the UK Artificial Eye DVD is better. What about the others? Time of the Wolf and Funny Games? Are the R1 versions good? R2 version? Anyone know or know of a comparison site?
Leafing through the available reviews of the R1 and R2 releases of Time of the Wolf, my impression is that the R2 may be the better of the two.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#22 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:10 am

I haven't seen Time of the Wolf since I saw it at the VIFF and can't distinctly recall a horse slaughter. I'd be worried it would get edited in the UK, but I didn't see a mention of any cuts in reviews so I ordered the AE when it originally went on sale.
The UK DVD is definitely uncut. UK law is a little strange when it comes to animal cruelty in films -- you can kill an animal for the purposes of a film so long as it's quick and "humane," which leads to a weird situation where you're not allowed to trip a horse (because that would be "cruel") but slitting its throat is perfectly okay.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#23 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 am

I wonder who will get the rights to Cache?
Artificial eye R2

denti alligator

#24 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:57 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
The UK DVD is definitely uncut. UK law is a little strange when it comes to animal cruelty in films -- you can kill an animal for the purposes of a film so long as it's quick and "humane," which leads to a weird situation where you're not allowed to trip a horse (because that would be "cruel") but slitting its throat is perfectly okay.
So a horse's throat is indeed cut, for real, in this film?

Lino

#25 Post by Lino » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:46 pm

denti, they do it all the time in France. They still eat horse meat there.