Haneke on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Elephant

#101 Post by Elephant » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:18 am

malcolm1980 wrote:It would be nice for Criterion to get a hold of at least a few of Haneke's works.
I'm sure the rights to his early television works wouldn't be too difficult to get. I've just seen seven of them at the Museum of Modern Art; several (Variation, Lemmings pt. 1, Lemmings pt. 2) were excellent and full of, you know, cripples, suicide, sickness, violence, dead animals, alcoholism, self-destruction, meanness, coldheartedness, & death.They'd make a nice Eclipse set.

dadaistnun

#102 Post by dadaistnun » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:36 am

Elephant wrote:
malcolm1980 wrote:It would be nice for Criterion to get a hold of at least a few of Haneke's works.
I'm sure the rights to his early television works wouldn't be too difficult to get ... They'd make a nice Eclipse set.
I emailed Jonathan Turell something to this effect regarding the tv works but heard nothing back.

tavernier

#103 Post by tavernier » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:44 am

Elephant wrote:
I'm sure the rights to his early television works wouldn't be too difficult to get. I've just seen seven of them at the Museum of Modern Art
I missed all of those MOMA screenings; how were they attended?

Elephant

#104 Post by Elephant » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:06 pm

tavernier wrote:I'm sure the rights to his early television works wouldn't be too difficult to get. I've just seen seven of them at the Museum of Modern Art
I missed all of those MOMA screenings; how were they attended?[/quote]
It was the same nursing-homeish atmosphere that accompanies most MoMA screenings, average age probably close to 80, lots of loud complaints about the films ("All these movies are farkakte movies!"), plenty of plastic-bag rattling and seat-switching and snoring and talking and walking back and forth, but they were 75%-85% full I'd say, though most screenings at MoMA tend to be that full. So it's hard to say. The first screening of Benny's Video was almost totally empty, however (and even emptier by the time it was over--lots of walkouts during that one).

tavernier

#105 Post by tavernier » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:09 pm

That's what I figured -- Haneke's work isn't for the geriatric MOMA crowd, so that may have been partly why I stayed away. (And I'm hoping for some sort of DVD release of the TV works.)

Elephant

#106 Post by Elephant » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:29 pm

tavernier wrote:Haneke's work isn't for the geriatric MOMA crowd, so that may have been partly why I stayed away.
And apparently there are three or four TV works that MoMA didn't show. I don't know if copies weren't available or if they're just not around. I'd really like to see those as well.

DDillaman

#107 Post by DDillaman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:54 pm

Anyone picked up the R4 Complete Works of Michael Haneke yet? It doesn't have THE CASTLE, but otherwise it seems like the best one-stop shop ... just wondering if there's any hidden gotcha's with this set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#108 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:03 am

DDillaman wrote:just wondering if there's any hidden gotcha's with this set.
Only one: the set contains the films of Michael Haneke

Adam X

Re: Haneke on DVD

#109 Post by Adam X » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:02 am

almost 15 months later...

so Artificial Eye have Haneke's first four theatrical features coming on 25th May (THE SEVENTH CONTINENT, BENNY'S VIDEO, 71 FRAGMENTS... & FUNNY GAMES).

anyone know if these are to be ports of the old Tartan's or new objects all together? would love for the latter, but I can't imagine there's good odd's on that happening.

just watched the R4 of TIME OF THE WOLF last night (a port of the AE transfer?), and despite what's been said in online reviews, thought the picture was pretty average. weird floating artifacts etc (maybe cause I'm watching it on an LCD TV?)
I saw the film at the cinema, and don't remember the kind of murkiness seen in the DVD being present at all - though naturally DVD vs 35?mm isn't even a contest

nolanoe

#110 Post by nolanoe » Fri May 21, 2010 6:12 am

I don't know if you guys have seen this, but... I really wonder if the English subs are removable (should be, but I'd rather ask before buying).

TMDaines

#111 Post by TMDaines » Fri May 21, 2010 6:28 am

Not found an AE disk where the subs aren't removable yet. I can vouch for the subs being optional on all the German Haneke films anyway.

nolanoe

#112 Post by nolanoe » Sat May 22, 2010 6:30 am

:D Sweet, I guess I'll grab this then. =D>

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#113 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:49 am

Got word from AE that the 10-disc OOP Haneke set is being reissued in October. They had to pull the set because they lost the rights to Funny Games U.S., so it won't be included, but The White Ribbon will be in its place.

Great news, I was just about to drop a substantial amount of dough on the OOP one.

tojoed

#114 Post by tojoed » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Phew! Glad to hear it.

willoneill

#115 Post by willoneill » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:53 pm

If you're looking for Funny Games US to complete the package, it's available on bluray here in Canada, and usually for pretty cheap.