Who gives good commentary?

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
MichaelB

Re: Indicator

#226 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:37 am

It was mixed in 2.0 stereo, as per every other two-person commentary I've overseen.

In my experience, commentaries that use the middle speaker generally only use it (i.e. they're presented in mono, which isn't a good idea for a two-person effort) - I'm not aware of anything being presented in 3.0, which is what you seem to be calling for. Can you cite an example?

frankiecrisp

#227 Post by frankiecrisp » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:08 am

MichaelB wrote:It was mixed in 2.0 stereo, as per every other two-person commentary I've overseen.

In my experience, commentaries that use the middle speaker generally only use it (i.e. they're presented in mono, which isn't a good idea for a two-person effort) - I'm not aware of anything being presented in 3.0, which is what you seem to be calling for. Can you cite an example?

I've not heard many two person commentary's. a couple of very good multiple person commentary's are the Blu-rays of Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia and Ride The high Country both give the affect they all sitting close together not at either end of the room . As I said it was a minor irritant the commentary was excellent. I watched the film(which I had never seen ) without first then again with the commentary .

mistakaninja

#228 Post by mistakaninja » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:27 pm

If The Limey ever gets a blu release, the Soderbergh & Lem Dobbs commentary should probably be mixed as if they were at opposite ends of the room.

rapta

#229 Post by rapta » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 pm

mistakaninja wrote:If The Limey ever gets a blu release, the Soderbergh & Lem Dobbs commentary should probably be mixed as if they were at opposite ends of the room.
I am aware of that infamous commentary but never thought to pick up the DVD. Perhaps it's because I'm actually not the biggest fan of that film, despite Soderbergh being a personal favourite of mine. Would be worth hearing Dobb's opinion on it, so I may have to track that down.

Talking of Soderbergh, I did ask Indicator a while back if they could get Sex, Lies, & Videotape but it seems Sony decided to release it themselves in the UK (as part of the HMV/Warner Bros 'Premium Collection'). A shame Indicator couldn't snag it as it's a favourite of mine and I'm certain they would've struck some decent extras for it, perhaps even catching Soderbergh's attention.

I went to see Logan Lucky last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Let's hope the cinematic return of Soderbergh reignites some interest in some of his previous work, and we'll finally get some more of his stuff in HD - I would especially love to see UK Blu-ray editions of Solaris, Traffic, King of the Hill and The Underneath (and possibly even Schizopolis if we're really lucky). I did ask Arrow about those titles a while ago but didn't get a response, and I think I suggested Solaris to Eureka more than once as well.

PS: I think I heard Soderbergh is actually completely re-editing Kafka so I assume that will show up whenever it's ready (possible Criterion?).
Last edited by rapta on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#230 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:29 pm

He's said Criterion will release Kafka when it's ready. Granted, he said that many, many, many years ago

Ribs

#231 Post by Ribs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Sex, Lies, and Videotapes was on the bookshelf photo from a few weeks ago, so is presumably coming from Criterion.

rapta

#232 Post by rapta » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:29 pm

Ribs wrote:Sex, Lies, and Videotapes was on the bookshelf photo from a few weeks ago, so is presumably coming from Criterion.
Nice, I may wait for that then rather than buy the Sony disc (I assume Criterion will release it in the UK too at some point).

colinr0380

#233 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:13 pm

rapta wrote:
mistakaninja wrote:If The Limey ever gets a blu release, the Soderbergh & Lem Dobbs commentary should probably be mixed as if they were at opposite ends of the room.
I am aware of that infamous commentary but never thought to pick up the DVD. Perhaps it's because I'm actually not the biggest fan of that film, despite Soderbergh being a personal favourite of mine. Would be worth hearing Dobb's opinion on it, so I may have to track that down.
It has been a while since I listened to it but remember it being a lot of fun, especially as Dobbs gets very annoyed at the way Soderbergh interpreted a few of the scenes in the film (lets just say that Soderbergh has to resort to the "well, I'm the director so I decided to do it this way in the end" argument to put a stop to things), such as the placement of a obvious empty picture frame on the wall of Fonda's hillside home, which he says would have obviously have been noticed straight away!

I kind of agree with his points, but also with Soderbergh's defence that something like the photo frame perhaps wouldn't be noticed in the course of the film. But of course Dobbs is also right when he says he gets so annoyed about those little things because its usually the writer who gets the blame for them in the reviews! (Which apparently includes the one by "that m***** f***** in Variety")

hearthesilence

#234 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Highlights from that commentary. Very entertaining indeed.

knives

#235 Post by knives » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:21 pm

I remember AVC had something similar back in the day on it.

colinr0380

#236 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:35 pm

That did remind me that Soderbergh's commentary for Schizopolis (the one where he aggressively interviews himself) does that, with one side of his conversation coming from the extreme left and the other from the extreme right speaker!