The Devils (not yet)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
dx23

The Devils (not yet)

#1 Post by dx23 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:08 pm

According to a DVDTalk member, The Devils is coming on May 20th. The poster states that the DVD comes with an 111 minutes runtime and its released by WB.

MichaelB

#2 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:30 pm

dx23 wrote:According to a DVDTalk member, The Devils is coming on May 20th. The poster states that the DVD comes with an 111 minutes runtime and its released by WB.
If I'm not very much mistaken, that's the running time of the original British cut - so it's clearly much longer than any version previously released in the US.

But I'd assume that the cut that I saw at the NFT in November 2004 was at least a couple of minutes longer than that, as it reinstated the "rape of Christ" footage (which is an entire scene, not just snippets).

Russell apparently recorded a commentary for the unexpurgated version shortly after that screening, so that may be an indicator.

luridedith

#3 Post by luridedith » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Holy shit, FINALLY. Here's hoping that poster is legit.

Cold Bishop

#4 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:42 pm

luridedith wrote:Holy shit, FINALLY. Here's hoping that poster is legit.
Is that someone wearing a turban on the cover?

Person

#5 Post by Person » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:23 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:
luridedith wrote:Holy shit, FINALLY. Here's hoping that poster is legit.
Is that someone wearing a turban on the cover?
Yes. It is the Archbishop of Cunterbury, Rowan Williams.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:34 pm

:shock: I thought this was never ever actually coming out

Jean-Luc Garbo

#7 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:49 pm

YES! I was just wondering today when it'd come on DVD. I hope they change that cover, too. Anyway, if true then this is the release of the year. I hope we get that Russell commentary.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:11 pm

Guys, in the future, can we try to not get scooped by the DVDTalk forum?

dx23

#9 Post by dx23 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:51 pm

I was surprised that a member, specially one that isn't very active over there broke the news. Still, he hasn't shown proof of where he got the news.

Lino

#10 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:46 am

dx23 wrote:According to a DVDTalk member, The Devils is coming on May 20th. The poster states that the DVD comes with an 111 minutes runtime and its released by WB.
:shock: HOLYSACRAMENTOFUCK! :shock:

Please let it be true...

Awesome Welles

#11 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:31 am

I was thinking about this recently when it was aired on TV, Ken Russell is getting on a bit so it's a good thing the release is hopefully imminent - still time to get some material from the man himself, though he does seem to be gong a bit senile. :wink:

Andrian Film Revival

#12 Post by Andrian Film Revival » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:55 am

I'm going to maintain a healthy scepticism about this. The current political climate in the US (where evangelical Christianity plays arguably a bigger role than ever) dictates that this remains unreleasable. Surely no one would stock it in fear of the inevitable picketing, etc...

I always thought that the only way this would get out would be an under-the-radar release in France or Japan.

Fingers crossed of course...

PS. I'm undecided about the alleged cover - surely a proper release needs a red themed cover (like the UK VHS). This looks like Oliver Reed is playing Jesus healing the sick!

Lino

#13 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:02 am

I'm actually a big fan of the cover. It's from one of the several bursts of hysterical paranoid reveries the character played by Vanessa Redgrave has during the movie.

dx23

#14 Post by dx23 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:33 am

Well, according to Mao, a good standing member of DVDTalk and someone who works in the industry, the rumors are true and The Devils is being released on May 20th. The bad news is that it is a barebones release.

Lino

#15 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:16 am

If it is indeed a barebones release, it's too bad. Mark Kermode has apparently cut a longer version of his docu on The Devils, Hell on Earth, and he seemed to be sure at the time that it would be included on the DVD along with the feature. Something tells me I should hold on to my bootleg for the time being.

I only hope that the Russell commentary hasn't been discarded.

colinr0380

#16 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:27 am

Andrian Film Revival wrote:PS. I'm undecided about the alleged cover - surely a proper release needs a red themed cover (like the UK VHS). This looks like Oliver Reed is playing Jesus healing the sick!
There is another scene which could be seen as a parody of that. It is another of Sister Jeanne's reveries which get twisted when instead of having her hump removed it is actually exposed to a jeering crowd.
Lino wrote:I'm actually a big fan of the cover. It's from one of the several bursts of hysterical paranoid reveries the character played by Vanessa Redgrave has during the movie.
This scene, one of Jeanne's first 'visions'. I'm kind of amazed that they really intend to use the 'wound licking' scene on the cover! :shock:
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#17 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:46 am

Much as I like the mania of the Devils I just can't get over the fact that everytime I see Oliver Reed I think of this guy

colinr0380

#18 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:00 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:I think of this guy
You mean Stephen Pugwash, the Captain?

justeleblanc

#19 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Can we assume THE DEVILS will be a part of the WB quarterly release of four or five films? (I think they call it their Directors Series or something like that.)

Jean-Luc Garbo

#20 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:01 pm

Andrian Film Revival wrote:I'm going to maintain a healthy scepticism about this. The current political climate in the US (where evangelical Christianity plays arguably a bigger role than ever) dictates that this remains unreleasable. Surely no one would stock it in fear of the inevitable picketing, etc...
Actually, I'd rather underestimate it. Especially for a film from the '70s that none of them have heard of. Besides, there's an election to win and Ken's little film could hardly be of interest in comparison. Kermode is a religious man and he has no problem with the film (although here in America I still would doubt the average evangelical tolerance).

Now for extras, I'd hope it wouldn't be barebones. Sure, Performance was slim extras, but this is of equal or greater cult status. I'd hope that the commentary (or something from Kermode) would be included. I'll still buy it, but Russell's comments in Kermode's doc were good so I'd hope for better in a commentary.

Lino

The Devils

#21 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:15 pm

From the Warner retail/press site:
Originally rated X, this film combines historical, comedic, and surrealistic elements to tell a tale of politics and witchcraft. In order to take over pre-rennaisance France, Cardinal Richelieu and his power-hungry followers will have to eliminate Father Grandier. Grandier controls the one town that keeps Richelieu from having total control of the region. The plan is to convince the townspeople that Grandier is a warlock and that all of his nuns are possessed by devils. The accusations are heard at a public trial - whose results may surprise you.

Running time: 111 minutes

Person

#22 Post by Person » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:36 pm

It would be a crying shame - and perhaps imprudent - to release The Devils on DVD without the Kermode documentary and the Kermode-Russell commentary. As for longer versions, after the "Here's to old England" line being lost for the DVD of Performance, I'm actiually a bit worried about Warner bungling this film - that is if they are going to release it in May. I'll wait for the official press release on this one before making any further statements.

DVD Active are also reporting this release, but they have no additional info. To wait this long and get no extras would be a royal bummer, but a gorgeous 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer of the (longest?) uncut version is what I am really hoping for.

godardslave

#23 Post by godardslave » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:51 pm

Finally! :shock:

Cinephrenic

#24 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:04 am

So will this be full uncut version?

Cold Bishop

#25 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:10 am

Cinephrenic wrote:So will this be full uncut version?
It will be completely unforgivable if it isn't