David Lynch: The Lime Green Set

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
John Cope

#76 Post by John Cope » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:31 am

I agree with Lino, especially if one of those scenes is the infamous one with Grace Zabriskie and Harry Dean Stanton that supposedly "went too far". Supposedly that was lost but if it's there so am I.

Fletch F. Fletch

#77 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:20 am

Lino wrote:Well, it does change it for me, anyway. I was thinking of passing on this release but I've been wanting to see those scenes from WAH ever since it won the Cannes Festival. Don't forget that whoever were at the Cannes original screening got to see them but afterwards all we got until now is the version currently out on DVD. So yeah, the table has turned for me. Definitely.
Agreed. WAH is one of my fave Lynch films and with all of this deleted footage AND Industrial Symphony, that has certainly motivated me to pick up this set.

Drake

#78 Post by Drake » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:44 am

Dugpa.com confirmed that there will be 120 minutes of Deleted and Extended WAH material from a rare work print.

Would have preferred the FWWM Deleted Scenes but 120 minutes sounds very interesting. I wonder if they will have any footage from Blue Velvet as well. I would have preferred Blue Velvet scenes over WAH scenes.

Quot

#79 Post by Quot » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:22 pm

Drake wrote:Dugpa.com confirmed that there will be 120 minutes of Deleted and Extended WAH material from a rare work print.

Would have preferred the FWWM Deleted Scenes but 120 minutes sounds very interesting. I wonder if they will have any footage from Blue Velvet as well. I would have preferred Blue Velvet scenes over WAH scenes.
I certainly hope to see some extended scenes involving the all too brief appearance of Crispin Glover as Cousin Dell, as the first photo on the dugpa link would lead us to believe. I'm sure we'll get the Willem Dafoe/shotgun blast scene uncensored.

Re: the scene with Grace Zabriskie and Harry Dean Stanton that supposedly "went to far"...I've never heard of this one. What supposedly happens in this scene?

John Cope

#80 Post by John Cope » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:54 pm

Quot wrote:Re: the scene with Grace Zabriskie and Harry Dean Stanton that supposedly "went to far"...I've never heard of this one. What supposedly happens in this scene?
From The Complete Lynch by David Hughes:
The scene in which Johnnie is tortured and killed was originally much longer, as Juana, Reggie and Drop Shadow playa strange psychotic game in which she touches empty soda bottles, starts to masturbate, and shows him Santos's cufflink before Drop Shadow kills him. Lynch trimmed the scene following a mass walkout at an early test screening. As Lynch told Rolling Stone, 'It really taught me something: an audience can really be with you, but if you rub it in their face too much - which I didn't think I was doing - they say, "That's enough!" and out they go. And you can't blame them. I thought it was more powerful that way, but it reached a point where it was too much.' Lynch initially took the scene out entirely, but felt that it removed the life-or-death threat hanging over the rest of the film; instead, he truncated it. Ironically, the portion of the scene which remains in the film contains the most violence: those of the test audience remaining in their seats would have realised that the scene's denouement is no more or less disturbing than the build-up to it. Had the audience stayed, they would have realised that their own imaginings about where the scene were headed were probably more unpleasant than Lynch's .
Overall I would have preferred deleted scenes from the workprint of Blue Velvet (especially the stuff at the beginning with Jeffrey at school) but it's not as though we have any choice about such things and I certainly don't want to sound ungrateful.

Fletch F. Fletch

Re: David Lynch: The Lime Green Set

#81 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:23 pm

Fletch F. Fletch

#82 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:27 am

Detailed review over at Dugpa.com

Mr.Jagil

#83 Post by Mr.Jagil » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:00 am

Think i'll get it... Looks very good, and well, 10 euro a disc isn't all that bad. Especially since the only one of his films i own is Blue Velvet, and i'll just give that to my dad...

Besides, i have to do a report on "The elephant man" in a few weeks, so it would be nice to have the documentary that comes with the set..

mteller

#84 Post by mteller » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:15 pm

Mr.Jagil wrote:Especially since the only one of his films i own is Blue Velvet, and i'll just give that to my dad...
Might not want to do that. The Lime Green set doesn't have all the BV extras.

cinemartin

#85 Post by cinemartin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:42 pm

That's been corrected: apparently it does have the extras. Dugpa got an early preview copy of the box - the Blue Velvet extras are what caused the delay on the release date. Apparently, the two discs will be identical, other than the new sound mix.

videozor

#86 Post by videozor » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:08 pm

Elephant Man in my set stops playing at 77:49. Very disappointed - one rarely sees defective DVDs nowadays. Have to send back the whole set...

kidc85

#87 Post by kidc85 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:43 pm

I read that Rabbits has been recut for the release. Any idea why?

Gary Gnu

#88 Post by Gary Gnu » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:29 pm

David Lynch pulled this set out of print a few months ago. Perhaps he's ready to restart negotiations with Criterion? At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

Jameson281

#89 Post by Jameson281 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:24 pm

Lynch can't "negotiate with Criterion" over anything other than his short films and ERASERHEAD. It's more likely that he licensed the other films for a limited time from the studios that own them, and those rights have now expired.

Nothing

#90 Post by Nothing » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:27 am

I thought I heard that Lynch has sold the rights to Eraserhead, etc, to raise Maharishi money or some such...

ianungstad

#91 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:34 am

He either sold outright or is letting mk2 sell the film on his behalf. All mk2 will say is that the film has been picked up by a new US distributor who will reissue the film theatrically in the near future. I would guess Janus or IFC but it could be a number of other small labels.

Gary Gnu

#92 Post by Gary Gnu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:17 pm

ianungstad wrote:He either sold outright or is letting mk2 sell the film on his behalf. All mk2 will say is that the film has been picked up by a new US distributor who will reissue the film theatrically in the near future. I would guess Janus or IFC but it could be a number of other small labels.
Let's hope it's Janus or IFC! Either way, Criterion can gets its hands on it. :D