David Lynch: The Lime Green Set

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jeff

David Lynch: The Lime Green Set

#1 Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Dugpa wrote:Writer, director and artist David Lynch has personally selected these works, including many pieces new to DVD, and a “mystery disc” of content taken from Lynch’s own personal archives and available only in this box set.

BOX SET INCLUDES:

ERASERHEAD – REMASTERED VERSION

ERASERHEAD SOUND TRACK

THE SHORT FILMS OF DAVID LYNCH

THE ELEPHANT MAN

THE ELEPHANT MAN EXTRAS – DVD DEBUT

WILD AT HEART

INDUSTRIAL SYMPHONY No. 1 – DVD DEBUT

BLUE VELVET – NEW LYNCH APPROVED 5.1 SOUND MIX

DUMBLAND

MYSTERY DISC – DVD DEBUT

BOOKLET – FEATURING RARE LYNCH IMAGERY

Running Time +/- 720 minutes
DVD: 5/9
9 DVDs + 1 CD
PKG: Deluxe Box Set Packaging
UPC: 858334001398
Street Date: November 18th, 2008
SRP: $179.95

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:03 pm

Well... this is a must. It's a shame the MSRP is so high though... sigh.

godardslave

#3 Post by godardslave » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:15 pm

hardly a "must".

the price is a rip-off, most lynch fans will have most of these already and the packaging is a horrible eye-sore. :roll:

justeleblanc

#4 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:48 pm

That bonus disc better be the directors cut of FWWM.

Cronenfly

#5 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:49 pm

...but if any fans are going to be willing to bite on something like this, it's Lynch's (its many seeming pitfalls be damned).

This must have been one hell of a licensing agreement (unless Lynch's already holding at least partial video rights to the studio films included are what made this possible)...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:17 am

Well, Elephant Man is Paramount but I thought Blue Velvet was MGM?

teddyleevin

#7 Post by teddyleevin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:23 am

I don't have any of these yet. I'll probably pick it up.

HypnoHelioStaticStasis

#8 Post by HypnoHelioStaticStasis » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:25 am

As is Wild at Heart.

I might get this box, might being the keyword, i only actually own Elephant Man, so the cost isn't that prohibitive. Just a matter of WHEN i can afford it.

Mr Sausage

#9 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:30 am

I'm very mixed over this. On the one hand, I'd like to get the short films, Industrial Symphony, as well as check out the mystery disc; on the other hand, to get that stuff I'll have to repurchase four films I already own (two of which I bought just this year).

luridedith

#10 Post by luridedith » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:12 am

Here's hoping when this fails to sell well they'll release Industrial Symphony No. 1 separately. Love Julee Cruise and the clips I've seen of it.

Am I the only one who finds Lynch's names and artwork choices for his DVD boxsets far odder and esoteric than his actual films? I mean, seriously. First the Twin Peaks gold box set and now... "lime green"? Is it a cross-promotion thing? Is he going to be selling iced tea along with his coffee?

CSM126

#11 Post by CSM126 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:18 am

My curiosity is piqued by the promise of new extras for Elephant Man (my favorite Lynch), but I can't imagine buying this whole set just for that, especially since that's all I'm interested in here.

Tom Hagen

#12 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:32 am

Mystery disc: five years of archived daily weather reports for the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area.

Svevan

#13 Post by Svevan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:55 am

Tom Hagen wrote:Mystery disc: five years of archived daily weather reports for the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area.
Don't tempt me.

kidc85

#14 Post by kidc85 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:03 am

DUMBLAND
But no Rabbits? Wake me when that makes it to DVD...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:07 am

Well, we don't know what's on this mystery disc yet, Rabbits may very well be on it. Dumbland is awful but it is something Lynch could cheaply throw on here. The MSRP is likely so high simply because of licensing, Lynch seems like the type of guy to go out and pay whatever he has to so he can release as much as possible on this box, regardless of the bottom line price once all's said and done.

That being said, I will have to know more about this set before I bite. What special features are on Blue Velvet/Wild at Heart, what's on the bonus disc, etc.

flyonthewall2983

#16 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:29 am

I read a brief thing about this somewhere, but which DVDs of his have no chapter breaks?

bkimball

#17 Post by bkimball » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:36 am

Not worth the price to me. I'll pass. I love his cinematic aesthetic, but his or his company's graphic design aesthetic leaves something to be desired.

Is the "The Lime Green Set" a reference to something or is he just wanting it to stand out on store shelves?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#18 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:41 am

bkimball wrote:Is the "The Lime Green Set" a reference to something or is he just wanting it to stand out on store shelves?
Well, there was a story when the Twin Peaks set came out and everyone was griping that it was gold, about him being the mastermind behind it:

"The whole gold motif came from David Lynch himself. I remember being up at his house with Ken Ross, David Grant and Ryan Adams from CBS, and David was obsessed with this thing being housed in a gold box. I remember him closing his eyes intently saying, "It's got to be gold..." I was never really sure what gold had to do with the show, but that wasn't the point. This was David's way of presenting this set as the definitive treasure for "Twin Peaks" fans."

So I'd imagine that something similar happened with this release.

I like the cover, only because it's fitting with Lynch's sense of humor (and therefore makes me smile) that it actually says "lime green" on the box.

Cronenfly

#19 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:35 am

In thinking about it more, the licensing for this boxset isn't so unprecedented (the Oliver Stone collection, for instance, though released by Warner, featured discs from MGM, Universal, and Artisan, though in the case of this Lynch box I think there are pretty strong indications that the discs won't be carbon copies of the studio released discs as the Stone ones were). Both MGM (Blue Velvet/Wild at Heart) and Paramount (The Elephant Man) have a history of being willing to license films out (e.g. to Criterion recently in both cases), so I guess it isn't too surprising.

This would seem to rule out the possibility of a CC of the The Elephant Man, too...though it would be neat if they did an individual SE apart from this behemoth boxset, it seems very unlikely.

Dylan

#20 Post by Dylan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:00 pm

CSM126 wrote:My curiosity is piqued by the promise of new extras for Elephant Man (my favorite Lynch), but I can't imagine buying this whole set just for that, especially since that's all I'm interested in here.
Not only is The Elephant Man my favorite David Lynch, but its been in my top five all-time favorite films for nearly a decade (ever since seeing it on AMC in the late nineties). I, too, anticipate details on the bonus disc.

CSM126

#21 Post by CSM126 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:03 pm

Dylan wrote:
CSM126 wrote:My curiosity is piqued by the promise of new extras for Elephant Man (my favorite Lynch), but I can't imagine buying this whole set just for that, especially since that's all I'm interested in here.
Not only is The Elephant Man my favorite David Lynch, but its been in my top five all-time favorite films
:D

You and me...exact same wavelength there. There are times when I put Elephant Man right at the top of the list.

dadaistnun

#22 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:56 pm

Cronenfly wrote:... in the case of this Lynch box I think there are pretty strong indications that the discs won't be carbon copies of the studio released discs ...
The site Jeff linked to has been updated & says
Update: I have gotten confirmation that the Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart DVD should be identical to the existing releases with the exception that Blue Velvet will be getting a brand new 5.1 re-mix for 2008 which will be done by David. I'm surprised as the previous one sounded pretty good but maybe they found additional elements for this one. Industrial Symphony will be remastered for this set and will remain exclusive for this release along with the Mystery DVD which still remains a mystery. According to Absurda, only David knows what is on the Mystery DVD and he isn't spilling the beans. The box set will be distributed by Ryko, so expect it at most stores and online retailers. I have to say that the most interesting aspect of this release is Absurda's ability to secure titles outside of Lynch's current ownership. I can only hope this means that at some point, a Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me deluxe set could be a reality. One can only hope... Stay tuned.

Matt

#23 Post by Matt » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:17 pm

I can only hope this means that at some point, a Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me deluxe set could be a reality. One can only hope...
Maybe I'm naive, but if Lynch was going to do this at all, wouldn't it be now, in this set?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#24 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:22 pm

He's never sounded all that interested in doing one in the first place.

miless

#25 Post by miless » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:25 pm

on the contrary, he has repeatedly expressed interest in finishing the deleted footage as episodes to supplement the movie. His motivation is to preserve one of Jack Nance's last film performances that was entirely left on the cutting room floor.