Terence Malick on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
atcolomb

#26 Post by atcolomb » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:58 pm

According to In70mm.com the movie was " highly regarded as one of the finest sperical 35mm to 70mm blowup". So the negative Paramount destroyed was a blowup but is there a better print of the movie to make a remastered special edition?

Narshty

#27 Post by Narshty » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:45 pm

ltfontaine wrote:
A low-budget film from the early 70s that features grain in the image isn't exactly a shock.
What's shocking is the gaping discrepancy between the quality of the image as I exhibited it in a new print from Warner Bros. in the seventies and the shoddy presentation on the R1 DVD.
So it doesn't look like it once did over 25 years later? I'm still not falling off my chair.

Titus

#28 Post by Titus » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:16 pm

I only vaguely recollect the Badlands transfer, an I remember being disappointed with it. Days of Heaven, on the other hand, looks fine (if unspectacular). But it shouldn't be a big deal, if you dig the films than pick up the discs. They're dirt cheap.

devlinnn

#29 Post by devlinnn » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:26 pm

goofbutton wrote:I'm no tech-geek-expert, and the "system" (I use the term loosely) I watch films on is probably beneath most of your contempt, but I think the current R1 DVD looks fine.

However, by way of comparison, a couple years ago I viewed what was purportedly the finest remaining print of DAYS OF HEAVEN, and I have to say it was a completely different experience than watching at home... the disc seems appropriately "punched up" for home viewing (saturated colors, high contrast, etc.) while the projected film was far more muted (but also more subtle).

At any rate, it was a totally different emotional experience to see this film in the theater. What might seem like minutia or insignificance -- the slightest glance, light on a cheekbone, etc. -- became almost overwhelming on the big screen. This was the first time I ever left a theater seriously thinking about buying an actual print of the film; it really is one of the most beautifully photographed movies of all time.
Very true, but I'd say TDK cinema ads from the 70s would do amazing things to my system compared to most new films on DVD. I'm called cynical, but the art of making films for the big canvas is dying quicker each day.

Via Salvatore

Terrence Malick

#30 Post by Via Salvatore » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:38 pm

I don't see Malick under Filmmakers. What is his best film?

jon

Re: Terrence Malick

#31 Post by jon » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:48 pm

Via Salvatore wrote:I don't see Malick under Filmmakers. What is his best film?
My favorites are Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, and The New World.

Jeff

#32 Post by Jeff » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:59 pm

As jon's answer indicates, Malick's oeuvre is so solid that it is hard to choose a favorite. For me, it's Days of Heaven, but the reason I respond to its wistful lyricism is impossible for me to articulate in any meaningful way. I love the other three films too.

I'm sure someone will compile a "Filmmakers" thread for him eventually. He has very little output compared to the other guys over there though, and there is limited information about him due to his intense aversion to discussing his work (or anything else) with anyone. You may find the individual threads on Days of Heaven, The New World, and The Thin Red Line helpful. Pages two and three of the Days thread respond to your question.

Murdoch

#33 Post by Murdoch » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:46 pm

The interesting thing I find about Malick is his best is a largely subjective subject, there is no film that is his definitive work because all his films are so well-realized that it comes down to which one you personally connect with. While a director's "best film" is usually subjective, it's especially true of Malick because there really is no rotten egg to speak of in his work - probably attributable to the large periods of time between his films. My personal favorite is also Days because I think the Steinbeck-like tale of American gothic really lends itself well to Malick's visual artistry and allows him to showcase the classic American West as this epic, gorgeous landscape.

Michael

#34 Post by Michael » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:29 pm

I can certainly see why most people favors Days of Heaven. It has "classic" written all over it.

I need to refresh myself with Malick's pre-The New World films. TNW has been playing quite frequently on cable for a few months now so of course I watch it every chance I get. It's among the most beautiful things I've ever seen and felt. Q'orianka Kilcher is a revelation.

foliagecop

#35 Post by foliagecop » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:46 am

I have to concur with Michael and say The New World for me is beauty, poetry, cinema, and philosophy all rolled into one, and a huge influence on me as a screenwriter (primarily in mood/tone, although I assure you I'm no plagiarist!). And does any other film have such a startlingly natural and beautiful last image?

The Thin Red Line I saw in the cinema when it was first released and was utterly blown away by it. I felt I was being pulled into the battle scenes - actually becoming one with them - and of course the whole poetical/philosophical nature of the film had me at hello (or whatever the Solomon Islands word for hello is).

I'd seen Badlands and Days of Heaven in my youth, but it took TTRL and TNW for me to revisit them. I was so glad I did. The four films retain a remarkable lyrical consistency, and as other posters have mentioned, it's so difficult - practically impossible - to single any one of them out over the others. An astonishing body of work for any director, and a true achievement in cinematic art.

Cde.

#36 Post by Cde. » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:57 am

All are wonderful, but for me The New World is an ever so slightly more profound experience than the others.

Murdoch

#37 Post by Murdoch » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:10 pm

Does anyone see a possible Badlands re-release in the near future with the New World re-release? I want to pick it up, but have been reading bad things about the pic quality.

kaujot

#38 Post by kaujot » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:23 pm

Murdoch wrote:Does anyone see a possible Badlands re-release in the near future with the New World re-release? I want to pick it up, but have been reading bad things about the pic quality.
You're right about the pic quality, but I believe (within the last two years, at least), that Warner's has said they have no plans of either reissuing it in a keep case, or releasing a new edition.

The film screams out for it.

Murdoch

#39 Post by Murdoch » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:27 pm

That's what I was afraid of, oh well, I'll just pick up the current edition. Thanks for the info.

Forrest Taft

#40 Post by Forrest Taft » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Buy it from Europe, and you´ll get a keep case as well as the "Abscence of Malick" featurette.

nsps

#41 Post by nsps » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:48 pm

kaujot wrote:
Murdoch wrote:Does anyone see a possible Badlands re-release in the near future with the New World re-release? I want to pick it up, but have been reading bad things about the pic quality.
You're right about the pic quality, but I believe (within the last two years, at least), that Warner's has said they have no plans of either reissuing it in a keep case, or releasing a new edition.
I've seen an HD transfer of Badlands that aired on HDNet Movies four or five months ago. I still have it on my DVR. It looks great—a few scratches and dirt specs on the source, but a huge step up from the shitty old DVD.. So the transfer has been made, hopefully it's only a matter of time until that crumby DVD is a distant memory.

Cash Flagg

#42 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:01 pm

RobertAltman wrote:Buy it from Europe, and you´ll get a keep case as well as the "Abscence of Malick" featurette.
Only £2.98 right now from Amazon.co.uk

nsps

#43 Post by nsps » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:58 am

Cash Flagg wrote:
RobertAltman wrote:Buy it from Europe, and you´ll get a keep case as well as the "Abscence of Malick" featurette.
Only £2.98 right now from Amazon.co.uk
Can't argue with the price. How is the quality? Is it from the new HD transfer?

jon

#44 Post by jon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:01 pm

I just ordered The New World - The Extended Cut from Amazon. It is being released tomorrow on DVD only. It kills me that WB decided not to release it on Blu-ray. What a missed opportunity. Horrid artwork as well. But for $16 it is worth it to see the 172 min cut and the 10-part documentary.

MyNameCriterionForum

#45 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:46 pm

At least one review I've seen of the new disc suggests that the documentary - any extras, in fact - are not included on the new DVD.

tavernier

#46 Post by tavernier » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:47 pm

Check out The New World thread, dudes, below this one.

Barmy

#47 Post by Barmy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:55 pm

I've seen the documentary, and it's pants.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Terence Malick on DVD

#48 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Someone on the Warner Archive Facebook page wrote:Warner, do you guys know if Badlands and Altered States, both of which are two older titles with rough transfers, will end up in the Archive or (hopefully) on new, Blu-Ray releases?
Warners wrote:It may be a ways a way...but both do have Blu futures!

Peacock

#49 Post by Peacock » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Well I'm guessing that considering the general openess of WBArchive on Facebook that their answer genuinely implies a Warners Blu of the film, rather than licensing it to Criterion, meaning that deal for a few titles a couple of years agovery likely fell through.

hearthesilence

#50 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 pm

FINALLY. Badlands is long overdue.