Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
diamonds

Re: Twin Peaks

#851 Post by diamonds » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Hard to believe we've only three episodes left. Given how many plots are unresolved, I'm a bit worried that it won't be able to stick the landing, but I've enjoyed the ride. Hopefully Lynch makes the most of Coop in the final hours.

I've really tried to avoid online speculation throughout the season, but today I caught wind of a theory that
SpoilerShow
Audrey is still in a coma and is attempting to wake, hence three episodes where she has yet to leave the house.
Think this is what's happening? I'm not to keen on the idea, but I suppose
SpoilerShow
saving her would give Coop something else to do besides vanquishing Bob/Evil Coop.

cdobbs

#852 Post by cdobbs » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 pm

SpoilerShow
Charlie pointedly asks Audrey if they're going to keep waiting at the threshold. The concept of the "Dweller at the Threshold" plays a big part in Twin Peaks mythology so that's another hint there's something otherworldly about Audrey's storyline, and that she's been separated from the reality of the town in some way.

dadaistnun

#853 Post by dadaistnun » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:13 pm

That opening sequence with Ed & Nadine and then Ed & Norma might rank with my favorite things Lynch has ever done. The way Lynch holds on McGill during the second part of the scene, with Otis Redding cutting in and out (and not in a Godardian/Une Femme way, but a much more emotional register) hit me almost as hard as the finale of The Straight Story. Everything about the expression on Ed's face...

Lots of great material in his part. I'm so going to miss it when it's over.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#854 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:28 am

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#855 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:55 am

Also...
SpoilerShow
Something is definitely up.

richast2

#856 Post by richast2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:37 am

SpoilerShow
Dougie is clearly much closer to being Cooper, but I thought I detected some changes in Mr. C's vocal inflection during his confrontation with Richard that also seemed closer to Cooper. I wonder if, rather than having Mr. C defeated and Dougie become Cooper, the two will merge.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#857 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:13 am

SpoilerShow
I'm not sure about that, especially since chronologically, the "Las Vegas?" text was something we saw Diane receive back in Episode 12, so what we saw with Mr. C and Richard likely occurred prior to the Dougie power socket stuff. But the timeline of this season has been deliberately very obtuse, so we'll see.

richast2

#858 Post by richast2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:23 pm

SpoilerShow
Interesting--I had thought that the Vegas message Mr. C sent in this episode was to Hutch and Chantal, but you may be right.

Zot!

#859 Post by Zot! » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the blu-ray box sets between regions, and why did they drop the disc of extras?

While the box is going for big money elsewhere there seems to still be a 10-disc nordic version that runs only around $30 American. Its not a digipak, but I can live with it.

phoenix474

#860 Post by phoenix474 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Zot! wrote:Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the blu-ray box sets between regions, and why did they drop the disc of extras?

While the box is going for big money elsewhere there seems to still be a 10-disc nordic version that runs only around $30 American. Its not a digipak, but I can live with it.
If it's not a digipak, it doesn't have the disc with the extras on it.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#861 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:13 pm

The UK release I picked up a couple of months ago isn't a digipack and had the extras disc.

flyonthewall2983

#862 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Outstanding

Feiereisel

#863 Post by Feiereisel » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Really rang our bells, too. This has been a lovely summer. (For an hour a week each Sunday, at least.)
Last edited by Feiereisel on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyonthewall2983

#864 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:26 pm

I should state that I only just watched the majority of the first two seasons and FWWM like a week before (watched the pilot sometime in December I believe), and I found myself quite emotional at certain points. I can only imagine what those who saw it from the beginning here must feel.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#865 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:34 pm

This episode (Part 16, for the record) was the best of the entire series, old stuff included, in my opinion. Lynch is giving viewers an incredible gift here, and he’s certainly been withholding in the way he’s done it, but what a beautiful thing this return series has shaped up to be.

flyonthewall2983

#866 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:53 pm

I've got to say though, watching promos for other Showtime programs feels like an ice bucket to the nether regions after something like that.

flyonthewall2983

#867 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:53 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Hoping that Lynch is in the mood for a Tarantino-esque round of comeuppance by the end of the season for a few characters.
Well it happened...sorta. Reminded me more of this...
SpoilerShow

terabin

#868 Post by terabin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:13 am

SpoilerShow
To see Cooper command a room like that again.... *chills*.
*Chills throughout*

Questions that I'm pondering...
SpoilerShow
So the seeds turn into tulpas? To what extent has Good Coop been a part of the tulpa making up to this point? Clearly Bad Coop has been hard at work on that front. Is the new seed Good Coop asks MIKE to make to bring the old Dougie back?
Last edited by terabin on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

John Cope

#869 Post by John Cope » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:13 am

mfunk9786 wrote:This episode (Part 16, for the record) was the best of the entire series, old stuff included, in my opinion.
The entire series? Really?

All the Best People

#870 Post by All the Best People » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:27 am

I don't know if I'd go so far as to put this above hour eight of this season, or the finales of seasons one and two, but damn if it's not in the conversation. Just tremendous on every level and words cannot possibly do justice. The fact that the Roth-Leigh plotline in this episode, which would be the highlight of just about any other show, ranks twelfth or so just of this hour ... man.

Also, do we have sufficient awards to give Laura Dern, or do we have to invent new ones?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#871 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:07 am

John Cope wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:This episode (Part 16, for the record) was the best of the entire series, old stuff included, in my opinion.
Yeah. There has been so much demanded of the viewer in this season, never unearned so always requiring the utmost engagement without return... that to have Lynch finally giving back to the viewer feels nothing short of a blessing. There were incredible moments in the early-mid 2nd season (the reveal of the killer and the build up to it) and transcendence in the film that obviously deserve recognition among Lynch’s career-best work, but this episode surpasses all of it by being the first thing he’s done, maybe ever, that acknowledges the viewer as a valued piece of his puzzle. It is perhaps the first instance I can remember where Lynch is giving to his audience and I am in awe of how tremendous it feels.

cdobbs

#872 Post by cdobbs » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:53 am

Lynch is one of the most versatile living filmmakers. The emotional notes in The Straight Story and The Elephant Man are as huge as you'll find in cinema, yet there's such a preponderance of dark forces and surrealistic touches in his work that he consistently lulls the viewer into thinking he's lost interest in flexing that muscle. I've certainly been nervous and baffled at times during this season but now I'm marveling at the confidence and craft it took to arrive at the payoffs we're seeing from such askew angles.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#873 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:10 pm

This was certainly one of the best things I've seen from Lynch. Especially strong acting - Watts then Dern (that there for me was damn near performance of the year) then Fenn - that left me breathless. This episode will take me some time to step back from especially the shock twist at the end. As much as I loved the Dougie storyline, it was very satisfying to see why it lasted so long and what it was setting up. I'm incredibly excited for the last two episodes.

sir_luke

#874 Post by sir_luke » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:28 pm

I have enjoyed The Return on quite another level of voracious enthusiasm than I have with pretty much any other piece of media I can remember. Every week is a new adventure in patience, frustration, and perfectly distributed catharsis - sometimes disquieting, and sometimes, like in Part 16, blissful.

Obviously this work is incredibly, almost impossibly bold; who else would spend significant portions of multiple episodes of a in the midst of a nearly wordless avant-garde spectacle, who else would go in so many different directions or subvert so many expectations? Even though the dark, mystical, at times experimental (classically "Lynchian" to employ an overused term) moments have immediately engaged me the most, I've had more lasting enjoyment pondering and re-watching the spaces in between the "Big Moments". There's so much new about this show, so much we haven't seen on television before, so much to explore and fear, that it's easy to pass things by because they aren't show-stopping in the common sense. I think that, regardless of what happens in the coming finale, this will benefit from repeated re-viewings just as much or more than the original series.

I wholeheartedly trust the totality of Lynch and Frost's vision, but I will say I've gotten nervous a couple of times at the prospect that they might wrap things up a little too tightly. I know that's a silly thought, and I don't have any illusions that even MOST questions will be answered by show's end, and it would be terrible if they were. But the
SpoilerShow
explanation of the Blue Rose Task Force (including a reference to UFOs by name), some of the other more obtuse exposition points, and the ending of Part 16 with Audrey (possibly suggesting a dream/hypnosis/coma/insanity ending)
were moments that I felt came too close to pure Secret History-style explanation. But, again, rewatching and catching even more weirdness and dread than was initially obvious tends to allay those fears.

I'm going to do my damndest to wake up at 4:00am this Sunday. What a trip it would be to watch the entire series in one go.

denti alligator

#875 Post by denti alligator » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:06 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
John Cope wrote:
Yeah. There has been so much demanded of the viewer in this season, never unearned so always requiring the utmost engagement without return... that to have Lynch finally giving back to the viewer feels nothing short of a blessing. There were incredible moments in the early-mid 2nd season (the reveal of the killer and the build up to it) and transcendence in the film that obviously deserve recognition among Lynch’s career-best work, but this episode surpasses all of it by being the first thing he’s done, maybe ever, that acknowledges the viewer as a valued piece of his puzzle. It is perhaps the first instance I can remember where Lynch is giving to his audience and I am in awe of how tremendous it feels.
Can you explain what you mean by this with an example? I loved the episode, but anything "given" only feels so for it having been withheld.