Anthology Horror Shows

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Mr Sausage

Re: Anthology Horror Shows

#51 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:42 pm

I've been rewatching the episodes on your list, Dom (haven't seen these in years) and it occurs to me you have a thing for
SpoilerShow
secret conjoined twins
stories. There's three of them on there!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#52 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:46 pm

SpoilerShow
I wouldn't have thought so before you pointed it out! I think it's merely a strange coincidence-- conjoincindence? But we're--I'm glad you got something out of our--my little recommendation guide

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Tales From the Crypt is coming back-- literally nothing in this trailer/clip-fest from other movies looks like it belongs in an EC Comic

rawlinson

#54 Post by rawlinson » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:45 pm

The third series of Inside No. 9 started properly in the UK earlier tonight (There was a Krampus themed episode pulled from the series and played at Christmas). For those who haven't had chance to check it out yet it's highly recommended. Created, written by and starring Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton, mostly famously from The League of Gentlemen, it's an anthology series in the spirit of the great British anthology shows from the 60s and 70s. I'm not sure if it's aired much outside the U.K., but it's certainly worth tracking down.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#55 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:42 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:31 pm
Fantagraphics also has a currently-running reprint series that's rather affordable. Alas, it's affordable because it's just the black-and-white art, not color. But I typically despise original 4-color-process art that's been recolored digitally (as those EC Archives reprints were).
Have you seen the new color reprint series released via Dark Horse under the "EC Archives" banner in the last year or so (and still ongoing)? They are in color but look much, much better than the old paper-printed anthologies (and feature introductions from the likes of Joe Dante, Spielberg, and John Carpenter)

therewillbeblus

#56 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:56 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:42 am
Matt wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:31 pm
Fantagraphics also has a currently-running reprint series that's rather affordable. Alas, it's affordable because it's just the black-and-white art, not color. But I typically despise original 4-color-process art that's been recolored digitally (as those EC Archives reprints were).
Have you seen the new color reprint series released via Dark Horse under the "EC Archives" banner in the last year or so (and still ongoing)? They are in color but look much, much better than the old paper-printed anthologies (and feature introductions from the likes of Joe Dante, Spielberg, and John Carpenter)
Where can I find these?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#57 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:05 pm

They're on Amazon in amazingly affordable editions - here's the first Crypt volume, you should be able to find more of the titles in the series from the suggested items on the page

therewillbeblus

#58 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:05 pm
They're on Amazon in amazingly affordable editions - here's the first Crypt volume, you should be able to find more of the titles in the series from the suggested items on the page
Thanks! Also, is there an optimal DVD/blu-ray set out there? I'm confused with all the (seemingly-solo-film) titles of discs listed on BR.com ...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:25 pm

I'm not aware of any Blu-rays anywhere for the TV show, sadly. I think it's not streaming (legally) either, so you'll have to pick up any of the Warner DVD releases - it looks like they rereleased the series as an affordable complete set, so you can pick up the whole show up for under $50. I suspect any of these repackagings are just using the same disc data/features/etc. Because WB doesn't seem to care about the show, you can find many copies of the episodes on YouTube as well (though make sure you're not watching a network cut!)

therewillbeblus

#60 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:41 pm

Appreciate it! It's also on eBay for like half that

Mario G.

#61 Post by Mario G. » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:41 pm
Careful going through eBay. Went through a couple bootlegs before finally biting the bullet on Amazon.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#62 Post by cdnchris » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:37 pm

I have the DVDs, except I just noticed I'm missing season 7. And the fact the DVD is only $10 less than the whole series is a bit grating. Is it worthwhile picking up, or are the episodes all pretty much stinkers?

beamish14

#63 Post by beamish14 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:11 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:37 pm
I have the DVDs, except I just noticed I'm missing season 7. And the fact the DVD is only $10 less than the whole series is a bit grating. Is it worthwhile picking up, or are the episodes all pretty much stinkers?

Season 7 is pretty abysmal, save for the very weird animated episode (which is completely unrelated to the animated Saturday morning spin-off show). The episode with Steve Coogan in particular is just dire; I think it’s the lowest-rated one on IMDB, too. By that point, I think most of the producers had moved on and were credited in name only

Really curious to see if anyone here likes the real bottom of the barrel when it comes to 80’s/90’s anthology shows: Monsters

beamish14

#64 Post by beamish14 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:25 pm
I'm not aware of any Blu-rays anywhere for the TV show, sadly. I think it's not streaming (legally) either, so you'll have to pick up any of the Warner DVD releases - it looks like they rereleased the series as an affordable complete set, so you can pick up the whole show up for under $50. I suspect any of these repackagings are just using the same disc data/features/etc. Because WB doesn't seem to care about the show, you can find many copies of the episodes on YouTube as well (though make sure you're not watching a network cut!)

WB/HBO knows the demand for it, and this show came up at a recent shareholders’ meeting, where it was revealed that rights issues are preventing it from streaming

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#65 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:22 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:37 pm
As I mentioned in my round up on the previous page, I actually think season seven is one of the strongest seasons (though I don't like the animated episode at all, to fully align myself in opposition to beamish's appraisal)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#66 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:23 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:11 pm
Really curious to see if anyone here likes the real bottom of the barrel when it comes to 80’s/90’s anthology shows: Monsters
I used to watch it on Sci-Fi when I was a kid and there were def some enjoyable episodes. I distinctly remember the opening credits as well. I'd say it's on par with Tales From the Darkside or Friday the 13th: the Series (which has nothing to do with Jason et al)

beamish14

#67 Post by beamish14 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:36 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:23 pm
beamish14 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:11 pm
I used to watch it on Sci-Fi when I was a kid and there were def some enjoyable episodes. I distinctly remember the opening credits as well. I'd say it's on par with Tales From the Darkside or Friday the 13th: the Series (which has nothing to do with Jason et al)

Oh, it definitely did. They even made a tear-jerker episode that is genuinely affecting. Very, very uneven, and the budget was clearly below what Tales from the Darkside had.

I was rewatching some episodes of The Ray Bradbury Theatre, and there are some incredible gems. Their 22-minute, shot in New Zealand “A Sound of Thunder” is more creative and faithful than Peter Hyams’ career-ending debacle. A much better series than Kurt Vonnegut’s Monkey House

Regarding the Friday the 13th show, it featured a lot of up-and-coming Canadian talent, much like the last season of the first Twilight Zone reboot.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#68 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:44 pm

I was going to mention Ray Bradbury Theatre as well, very much of a piece with the rest. And while we're here, let's also mention the Hitchhiker, which unlike the rest of these shows never got a full season/series set, only a few compilations, but it was in the same kind of spirit (though its timing was off, as it mostly predated the early 90s anthology horror craze)

And I will never forget the Tales from the Darkside episode where a carnival magician dies in the middle of levitating an audience member and as a result the floating person just keeps rising up into the dark sky, never to be seen again-- grim!

therewillbeblus

#69 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:54 pm

Mario G. wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Careful going through eBay. Went through a couple bootlegs before finally biting the bullet on Amazon.
I only buy listings with real pictures of sealed copies - did you buy stock photos? That's pretty concerning.

Mario G.

#70 Post by Mario G. » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:51 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:54 pm
Mario G. wrote:
therewillbeblus wrote:
I only buy listings with real pictures of sealed copies - did you buy stock photos? That's pretty concerning.
Same here, only buy legit looking listings with pictures from highly rated sellers, but I kept getting bootlegs. Keep in mind this was a couple years ago and it looks like they've released a more slimmed down version since, so this new one might just legitimately be cheaper.

therewillbeblus

#71 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 02, 2024 2:21 pm

Mario G. wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:51 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Mario G. wrote:

Same here, only buy legit looking listings with pictures from highly rated sellers, but I kept getting bootlegs. Keep in mind this was a couple years ago and it looks like they've released a more slimmed down version since, so this new one might just legitimately be cheaper.
I just got my set from Amazon - can you or someone provide a tip for telling if this set is bootleg or not? I can't find much online, oddly enough - considering this seems to be known as one of the most bootlegged sets!

The only distinctive things I see is the goblin looks a bit darker on my cases than what I see online, but that could just be lighting - though also, it looks like the title is printed over something on the discs themselves (there's some black with writing on the bottom of the Y and P in "Crypt" on each disc, clearly printed over)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#72 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 02, 2024 4:08 pm

Do you have an optical drive on your computer? Check the file size of the discs - if they're single layered (~4.5 GB), they're likely fake. If they're dual-layered (~7-something or more GB), they may be legit. Also the original releases only had the standard language subtitle options (English, French and Spanish), so if Chinese or Korean is an option, also surely a boot

therewillbeblus

#73 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 02, 2024 4:31 pm

Sadly I don't have an optical drive, I was hoping one of my players could tell me the file size but apparently not. There are only those three subtitle options, but there are enough fishy elements to further my doubts of its legitimacy..

Mario G.

#74 Post by Mario G. » Thu May 02, 2024 9:23 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:21 pm
Mario G. wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:51 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:

I just got my set from Amazon - can you or someone provide a tip for telling if this set is bootleg or not? I can't find much online, oddly enough - considering this seems to be known as one of the most bootlegged sets!

The only distinctive things I see is the goblin looks a bit darker on my cases than what I see online, but that could just be lighting - though also, it looks like the title is printed over something on the discs themselves (there's some black with writing on the bottom of the Y and P in "Crypt" on each disc, clearly printed over)
In my case(s) the printing on both the box and the discs was just obviously low quality and fake. I only needed one “shipped by Amazon” copy to get a real one, so I think it’s more likely than not you’ve got a real one!