The Knick

Discuss TV shows old and new.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: The Knick

#26 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:19 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:As good as "Get the Rope" was, this newest episode is the best one yet. At first, I marked the writing as a demerit to the Soderberghy goodness, but it's caught up in a big way since.
SpoilerShow
Gallinger's baby after its "ice bath" may very well be the most disturbing image of Soderbergh's career, besting previous champion Contagion.
The show has gotten so fantastically dark, I'm getting to the point where I'm prepared to say that this is my favorite thing Soderbergh has ever done.

Andre Jurieu

#27 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:45 am

domino harvey wrote:Given that it's no longer a guarantee anymore with Cinemax series (Hunted went to DVD-R in R1 despite getting the Blu treatment in the UK), it's a relief to see that there's a Blu-ray release up for pre-order on Amazon
Is that Amazon link working for anyone?

LQ

#28 Post by LQ » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:48 am

No, I tried it yesterday to no avail and just checked again - it's no longer up for pre-order.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:29 pm

Huh, weird. It was up for 79.99 MSRP, maybe Amazon just jumped the gun (though, to use the same example, they did have Hunted up for pre-order on Blu too)

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#30 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:41 pm

I found this pre-order page through google, but searching Amazon itself isn't turning anything up

Luke M

#31 Post by Luke M » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:36 am

Just finished the first season and thought it was brilliant. Enjoyed Soderbergh's use of electronic music - it is a welcome refresher from most period piece soundtracks, but most of all it fits beautifully.

Around episode 7 or 8, the stakes are raised and everything goes to 11. Can't wait until the next season.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2015 10:22 pm

Coming August 11 with an extremely reasonable MSRP of $39.98

pzadvance

#33 Post by pzadvance » Fri May 15, 2015 2:55 am

domino harvey wrote:Image

Coming August 11 with an extremely reasonable MSRP of $39.98
Finally! Although... the Amazon listing is twice that currently...

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#34 Post by jindianajonz » Fri May 15, 2015 10:21 am

The Amazon listing has been at $80 for at least the last three or four months. I'm sure it will be updated in due time.

pzadvance

#35 Post by pzadvance » Fri May 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Good to know. Here are the special features listed in the press release:
- Audio commentaries with Jeremy Bobb, Eve Hewson, Michael Angarano, Chris Sullivan, Cara Seymour, Eric Johnson and creators and executive producers Jack Amiel and Michael Begler
- Post-op featurettes: Get educated on ground-breaking surgery techniques featured in the Cinemax series, The Knick
Bummer that Soderbergh--one of the all-time great commentators--is seemingly absent from these tracks, but still sounds like a healthy batch of extras.

The Narrator Returns

#36 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Soderbergh has been nominated for Best Director (for the first episode) at the Emmys.

pzadvance

#37 Post by pzadvance » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:31 pm

"The Knick: Anatomy of a Series" released for free on iTunes - an interactive "iBook" containing all the scripts for season 1 and, most intriguingly, transcripts of Soderbergh's correspondence with Cinemax during post-production.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#38 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:24 am

Downloaded the hell out of this. Thanks!

pzadvance

#39 Post by pzadvance » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:32 pm

Season 2 Promo
EDIT: Link went private, re-added.

Isambard

#40 Post by Isambard » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:54 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#41 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:30 pm

New season starts October 16th

The Narrator Returns

#44 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:19 pm

I don't know if anyone else here has watched this season, but wow. I'm not sure if it's better than the first season, but it definitely confirm that the show is one of the very best things Soderbergh has ever directed. The finale in particular was one of the most marvelously bleak, depressing hours of television I've seen.

pzadvance

#45 Post by pzadvance » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:25 pm

Curious to know if anyone has been keeping up with this this year. I just binged it all during the holidays, and agree with The Narrator's assessment of the finale--it reminded me of the Twin Peaks S2 finale in how unrelentingly dark it got.
SpoilerShow
Overall, I think the gap this year between the writing and the production was wider than in year one. A lot of the new elements they added did nothing for me (Opal, for example) and I think they spread out the characters to such an extent that the ensemble feeling of the first season was somewhat lost (the Algernon/Cornelia relationship, for example, all but vanished this year with little to no consequence--and Cornelia, in general, felt unfairly sidelined this year and rarely interacted with the main cast).

Additionally, while I ultimately found Thackery's end impeccably performed by Owen and loved his final moments, the plot machinations that allowed for him to arrive at that point felt terribly contrived (Why, for example, would his colleagues allow him to proceed with the surgery given the painfully obvious state he was in, and why not jump in sooner than they did?).

That said, the locations, the set design, the performances, the cinematography, everything else aside from the plotting seemed to have elevated to a new level this year. I was heartbroken to find that Soderbergh intends on leaving should the show continue and that that was evidently always the plan from the beginning. It makes sense given how restless a filmmaker he seemed to be, but I'm not sure I'd be interested in a post-Soderbergh Knick. Here's hoping that "Mosaic" provides a similar weekly thrill to this series. I'll miss its current iteration, whatever its imperfections.

ianungstad

#46 Post by ianungstad » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:33 pm

I thought the ending was a shocker but once that subsided it did feel too soap opera-ish. What makes the show great isn't these wild plot twists but it's nuts and bolts look at the development of modern medicine. Soderbergh plans to hand this off to another director for future seasons. Gallinger heading off to Germany to spread the word about eugenics seem to be the most promising plot strand to explore in future seasons. Maybe he'll run into Dr.Goebbels?

pzadvance

#47 Post by pzadvance » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:54 pm

"Contrary to Soderbergh’s stated plan to hand over directing duties on the show to someone else, he now wants to steer “The Knick” to its conclusion. "

Thrilled by this. The article says he and the creators are pitching a four-year plan to Cinemax and looking for an upfront commitment to allow them to "lock in long-term budget, casting and production strategies." Fingers crossed they go for it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#48 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:41 pm

I cancelled Cinemax figuring this was over, but I would be just beside myself if this ends up happening. Four more seasons, and plotted in advance! We don't deserve Soderbergh.

The Narrator Returns

#49 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat May 21, 2016 11:46 am

Season 2 comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray August 2.

Also, Inside Amy Schumer did a parody of the show a few nights ago.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#50 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:28 pm