The Knick

Discuss TV shows old and new.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: The Knick

#51 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Geez, even the President of the United States is more up to date on TV shows than I am.

tarpilot

#52 Post by tarpilot » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:35 am

Trump Twitter wrote:New footage, #Obamacare doctor letting little girl die, crazy! Addict Thackery got fix from #CrookedHillary!

The Narrator Returns

#53 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:38 am

Soderbergh may have lost Best Direction a second time last night, but he definitely won the night for this.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#54 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:46 am

He also (jokingly) tried to get Moby to go as him

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#55 Post by ando » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:45 am

Luke M wrote:Just finished the first season and thought it was brilliant. Enjoyed Soderbergh's use of electronic music - it is a welcome refresher from most period piece soundtracks, but most of all it fits beautifully.
Couldn't disagree more. Takes you right out of the turn of the century achieved so beautifully with the set/art design. I did notice that it usually accompanies the "corruption" scenes. Soderberg is obviously up to something else here. I think too much is made of the racist atmosphere and the negro doctor's pride - rasicm is as matter of fact in New York as the subway. The handling of sexist attitudes are more subtly effective.

It's an intriguing series. Glad I stumbled on it. Think I'll complete the first season before I venture the posted reviews.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#57 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:27 pm

My only qualm with this show was the ending of the 2nd season feeling a little rushed along, but it was essentially perfect for its entire run and I'm glad that'll be in amber forever. Hopefully it gets the kind of cult following something like Twin Peaks is richly enjoying right now as time goes on. It's my favorite work Soderbergh has done, period.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#58 Post by Shrew » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:05 pm

I finally caught up with the second season a month ago, and it's just as good as the first though different. It was veering toward a 1900s version of The Wire (down to corruption on the docks), which meant it spread its characters out a bit much, but it found new points of interest in its world.

As said above, the writing stuck out more this season (particularly some soapy turns later on), but Soderbergh never failed to present the material in a fresh way that alleviated its failings. The acting in particular felt much more confident from the whole ensemble; in the first season it was hard not to feel that Owen, Holland, Seymour, and Sullivan were lapping the rest.

Sad to see it go out on such a dour note, but it's a fine conclusion. Of course, it also seems constructed to endure a big time jump, so it could come back years later somewhere else. But something so esoteric probably needs a Megan Ellison type to shepherd it. Maybe Obama can use his millions in book and speaking deals to start a production company?

zedz

#59 Post by zedz » Sun May 28, 2017 11:55 pm

I just finished watching these two seasons, and if this isn't the best thing Soderbergh's ever done, it's certainly in the conversation.

It's also one of the best ever American films - let alone television series - about racism. It's the animating force of so much that goes on throughout the series, even when it's unacknowledged, and it's always richly shaded. I don't think any two characters represent the same take on it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#60 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Steven Soderbergh wrote:Season three of THE KNICK was set in 1947 and was going--at my absolute insistence--to be shot in anamorphic black-and-white. It's POSSIBLE that may have contributed to its demise...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#62 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:00 pm

Spoiler for season two in the above link, FYI

The Narrator Returns

#63 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:35 pm

Starting tomorrow, The Knick will be available to stream on HBO Max.