The Simpsons

Discuss TV shows old and new.
manicsounds

#101 Post by manicsounds » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:09 am

The commentary on "30 Minutes Over Tokyo" fails to mention the Kurosawa and the Kaiju references throughout.

Yes, in the end, the Kaiju start to attack, but if you look carefully at signs and posters, they all are named after Toho monsters; Angirus, Mothra, Godzilla, etc.

By the way, the Japanese spoken and written on signs are acurate and it's actually funnier than the English translations.....

manicsounds

#102 Post by manicsounds » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:21 pm

Where is Season 11? Shouldn't a new Simpsons set come out twice a year? once in summer and once in winter

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#103 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:50 pm

yeah but it looks like we're getting the movie this December instead of another season.

patrick

#104 Post by patrick » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:08 pm

Didn't nine come out in the spring?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#105 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm pretty sure they've come out August and December the last couple years, can't say 100% tho

patrick

#106 Post by patrick » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:35 pm

You're correct, if Amazon's release dates are to be trusted. I guess the movie must account for whatever slowdown in season releases we've had, although it doesn't really matter to me anymore - I ended up not buying 10 and I probably won't buy any of the others from here on out. It's not that the quality went to shit around 10 or so, but I find that even the better episodes from season 10 I don't care to rewatch over and over again like I do with some of my favorites from around seasons 5 and 6. Plus, there's the sad fact that if I don't cut it off at some point I'll probably never stop buying them.

Have extras been announced for the Simpsons Movie DVD?

flyonthewall2983

#107 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:41 pm

patrick wrote:Have extras been announced for the Simpsons Movie DVD?
Yes. Frankly, I don't mind this as far as the seasons coming out a little slower. I need to catch up! lol

kaujot

#108 Post by kaujot » Thu May 08, 2008 2:03 pm

I hope everyone caught Mr. Jim Jarmusch in last week's episode of The Simpsons. Quite hilarious.

miless

#109 Post by miless » Thu May 08, 2008 2:18 pm

kaujot wrote:I hope everyone caught Mr. Jim Jarmusch in last week's episode of The Simpsons. Quite hilarious.
besides Jarmusch, the only worthwhile moment in the episode is when the family are complaining about wanting make another documentary to get noticed again and Marge steps in and says "No more movies, one was enough!"

seriously, these episodes just get worse and worse. This 'sundance' episode was just embarrassing and caused me to cringe at nearly all the jokes.

they really should have quit when they were ahead, 6 years ago.

flyonthewall2983

#110 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Eh, I'll agree that it was better than John C. Reilly's phoned-in cameo at the end. I did like his reaction as he faded out.

pianocrash

#111 Post by pianocrash » Mon May 12, 2008 4:17 am

Hey! This season has been one of the better ones of recent times, but I really don't expect anyone here to agree. I think this one in particular was a hold out from a previous season, as the "Capturing the Friedmans" reference seemed more appropriate at least two or three years ago. But Nelson as Antoine Doinel was pretty great, I think.

Andre Jurieu

#112 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue May 13, 2008 3:16 pm

pianocrash wrote:Hey! This season has been one of the better ones of recent times... But Nelson as Antoine Doinel was pretty great, I think.
Agreed!... though I wouldn't really consider this season to be among the best either.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#113 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:06 pm

manicsounds wrote:Where is Season 11? Shouldn't a new Simpsons set come out twice a year? once in summer and once in winter
I've started to secretly hope the production of this is delayed for a while longer, and before they record the commentaries, Mike Scully gets hit by a bus. The episodes would still be awful on all the remaining sets, but at least the commentaries wouldn't be.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#114 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:18 pm

I hope they get a restraining order to keep Nancy Cartwright fifty feet away from the commentary recording booth at all times. I can't even listen to any of the ones she appears in. Still, she's not as horrible as Mark Hamill was, but at least that was a one-off.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#115 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:53 pm

Mark, if you could, please interrupt and tell us again how happy you were that we gave you a paying job and pretend that you actually considered not doing it for a second.

davebert

#116 Post by davebert » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:58 pm

I think I've managed to avoid most of the commentary tracks with Cartwright... does she ever insist on babbling on about the rejuvenating powers of Scientology?

Antoine Doinel

#117 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Any of the commentaries I've listened to from the Simpsons sets has been disappointing. When they aren't slapping each on the back, they are simply watching the episode and chuckling along. Even Conan O'Brien's commentaries are somewhat lifeless, which is hard to fathom since everyone keeps going on and on about what a ham he was in the writer's rooms.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#118 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:08 pm

davebert wrote:I think I've managed to avoid most of the commentary tracks with Cartwright... does she ever insist on babbling on about the rejuvenating powers of Scientology?
Worse, she thinks she's funny, interrupts people, and randomly insists on doing the Bart voice. At least Kavner and Smith, who know they're not funny, will instead ask questions to the producers and writers and seem invested in making their time on the track worthwhile. I think I've said this already in this thread, but the only funny castmember is Shearer and of course he's the only one not showing up for the sessions-- of course he's been the most open to the press about how much he hates most of the show so he's probably not even interested.

The best moment on any commentary track is the Streetcar episode where Lovitz talks about the Critic crossover and goes "Matt, you loved that one, didn't you?"

Antoine Doinel

#119 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:19 pm

domino harvey wrote:The best moment on any commentary track is the Streetcar episode where Lovitz talks about the Critic crossover and goes "Matt, you loved that one, didn't you?"
It's really too bad Lovitz didn't record any commentaries for The Critic. Apparentally, he was approached to do them but his notoriously huge ego got in the way.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#120 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:30 pm

As delightful as Lovitz can occasionally be, though, I'm kind of glad he wasn't on the Critic commentaries. I think the average listener is just as tired of the "Al and Mike are gay" routine almost as much as Al Jean and Mike Reiss are.

Going back to listen to the Streetcar commentary tonight. Awesome. I still think Matt Groening was/is such a prick about that. Beyond creating the characters, consulting, and doing some early writing, he is so far from the reason for the brilliance of the earlier seasons of the show. He came off looking incredibly ungrateful to two of his best writers, and bitter over their success.

And... really? Don't like the commentaries? I'm pretty surprised to hear that anyone doesn't like them (until season 9 or so, that is).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#121 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:09 pm

Season 11 is finally coming out October 7! \:D/

flyonthewall2983

#122 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:26 pm

What's everyone's favorite episode(s)? (since some of us may find it hard to pick one)

My vote (for right now, anyway) goes to Brother From Another Series.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#123 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:33 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:What's everyone's favorite episode(s)? (since some of us may find it hard to pick one)

My vote (for right now, anyway) goes to Brother From Another Series.
That one's nowhere near my favorite episode, but it does have one of my all-time favorite lines: "Especially Lisa. But especially Bart."

I know its commonly singled-out, but "Last Exit to Springfield" really is impossible to beat. Other obvious winners are "Bart Gets Famous" and "Marge vs the Monorail"-- really, if Seasons 3-6 were one long episode, that'd be what I pick.

Also, my favorite line is either "You know those guitars that are like double guitars?" or "Marge, bring me my Conversation Hat."
Last edited by domino harvey on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyonthewall2983

#124 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:37 pm

I should mention that I also was a fan of Frasier, and it amusing to see the less than subtle references to the series. That said, I was disappointed (surprise, surprise) in the latest Sideshow Bob episode with both David Hyde Pierce and John Mahoney.

Antoine Doinel

#125 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:57 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:What's everyone's favorite episode(s)? (since some of us may find it hard to pick one).[/i]
Homer's Enemy