The Simpsons

Discuss TV shows old and new.
manicsounds

#26 Post by manicsounds » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:54 pm

Not too big of a deal for me. I'll buy the set no matter what the set looks like.
Its more about the content for me than the ugly or pretty packaging.

mogwai

#27 Post by mogwai » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:37 am

Review up at DVD Talk.

According to the review, Fox is indeed offering customers the ability to send in for a box identical to those of the previous season sets. They should've stuck with the original boxes anyway, but at least they're giving us an option.

Thankfully I'll be displaying Homer's head elsewhere in my room.

emcflat

#28 Post by emcflat » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:35 pm

VERIFIED!

# is 1-800-223-2369

As much as I want to get pissed at this little leaflet, I guess i'm thankful that we get the option.. Maybe when you call the number they berate you for an hour about how ridiculous it is to expect consistancy in DVD packaging from a company like Fox. I almost want to just call the number and say "Fuck You." Then call back and politely request my "boring" package.

This is doubly great because, holding this thing now, it's practically coming apart in my hands. Wait 'til you see how they did this thing. It feels like a plastic tray that you get take-out Lo Mein noodles in.

manicsounds

#29 Post by manicsounds » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:51 pm

What about overseas?
I'm getting the R1 but is the offer available to people who import it?

Jaime_Weinman

#30 Post by Jaime_Weinman » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:39 pm

I don't have the set yet, but I read from people who've called that it's a 1-888 number, not 1-800.

Jeff

#31 Post by Jeff » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:12 am

From TV Shows on DVD:
Of course the rest of the phone number won't be blurred. And they say you should change the prefix to 888. They will also post a URL alternative on Tuesday.

justeleblanc

#32 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:24 am

Holy Hell, is that ad really from Fox?? What dicks. Man, am I the only one who loves how completely unprofessional Fox is? It keeps getting better and better. We should start a list that keeps track of all their DVD screw-ups.

neuro

#33 Post by neuro » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:41 am

Holy Hell, is that ad really from Fox??

That type sounds less like it came from someone at Fox than from a writer at Simpsons, or even Matt Groening himself. It feels suspiciously similar to Groening's writing style in the packaging to the prior DVD sets. That said, it just seems like good-natured ribbing to me; we are griping about DVD packaging, after all.

justeleblanc

#34 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:22 pm

Hrm, so I've re-read it ad and it doesn't seem as "dick" as I thought it was the first time I saw it.

Nevermind.

FilmFanSea

#35 Post by FilmFanSea » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:05 pm

JusteLeblanc wrote:Hrm, so I've re-read it ad and it doesn't seem as "dick" as I thought it was the first time I saw it.

Nevermind.
When I went to bed last night, I knew that "dick" could function as a noun and a verb. This morning, I learn that it's an adjective, too. Gotta love the English language. And the versatility of dick.

Lino

#36 Post by Lino » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:13 pm

Just wait 'til you get to "asshole".

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#37 Post by dekadetia » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:36 pm

cash wrote:Also, that they are even investing the time and money into replacing the packaging simply based on preference isn't something I would associate it with a studio full of "dicks".
Well, that's why I said "thanks a ton."

To the dicks.

yumitree

#38 Post by yumitree » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:49 pm

did someone say something about a ton of dicks?

i just hope i don't have to pay some inflated shipping charge to get the replacement box.

i might be an anal-retentive nerd who likes his dvd boxes to line up perfectly on the shelf, but i'm also kind of cheap.

neuro

#39 Post by neuro » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:20 pm

I just received mine as well today, and, as the rest of you will probably find as well, the case isn't just ugly and inconsistent from its predecessors, but it's also horribly inconvenient and impractical. I can hardly imagine how these will all fair once they hit the shelves tomorrow; I can imagine that Fox will have some calls not only from us "anal retentive geeks," but also people whose case either fell apart or dented. I can't imagine anyone in fact, anal retentive or not, who would want to root through all this extraneous packaging each and every time they wanted to get to the actual discs.

By the way, I called the 1-888 number and was referred to the website which launches tomorrow: http://www.simpsonsbox.com

justeleblanc

#40 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:52 pm

Honestly, why go through all the trouble for a website, a phone number, and all this other crap. Who at Fox is fighting for the Homer's head box? (Fighting so hard that they're going through all this mess)

Pinback

#41 Post by Pinback » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:05 am

The website makes you specify the reason for wanting a new box...you have to select one of the following:

Anal retentive (box must be identical)
Lonely (will pretend box is new best friend)
Will sell new box to collector nerds for huge profit
Just like free stuff
Big baby

They're really laying it out for people who care about the old style packaging...

Andre Jurieu

#42 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:37 am

Pinback wrote:The website makes you specify the reason for wanting a new box...you have to select one of the following:

Just like free stuff
Big baby
That... is... Awesome!

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#43 Post by dekadetia » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:11 am

JusteLeblanc wrote:Honestly, why go through all the trouble for a website, a phone number, and all this other crap. Who at Fox is fighting for the Homer's head box? (Fighting so hard that they're going through all this mess)
Add to that crap a $2.95 s/h charge paid by check or money order. Plus the little consumer survey where you can't cite the flimsy quality of the new packaging as your reason for replacement. D'oh!
Last edited by dekadetia on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titus

#44 Post by Titus » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:21 am

Aside from the packaging, how's the quality of the disc's themselves? Is it marred by the horrific edge enhancement that's plagued the other seasons?

The Invunche

#45 Post by The Invunche » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:25 am

I absolutely love how people are getting their panties in a bunch over this.

dx23

#46 Post by dx23 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:16 pm

They are asking for a rear molar but they say its optional. I'm really thinking about sending one to see if they are going to continue with their surly remarks to the fans who are paying for their crappy packaging. And everybody knows here where Fox and their creative geniuses can shove that molar tooth.

flyonthewall2983

#47 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:28 pm

Season 7 is set to come out in December. I bet they'll go back to the old packaging then.

FilmFanSea

#48 Post by FilmFanSea » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:50 pm

Pinback wrote:The website makes you specify the reason for wanting a new box...you have to select one of the following:

Just like free stuff
Big baby
Nice to see that Fox Home Entertainment and the Simpsons creative team aren't as out-of-touch as I suspected. Not only did they anticipate the packaging brouhaha, but they've also skewered the OCD traits of serious collectors by having them select from those hilarious choices.

Sorry for underestimating you, Fox.

With respect to Fox continuing with the planned "head" packaging for Seasons 7 onward, I expect them to go forward with it unless they get an avalanche of requests for the 'traditional' replacement cases.

Theodore R. Stockton

#49 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:55 pm

Can someone post a better picture of the Homer head packaging so I can see what all the fuss is about? I haven't been able to find any pictures other than a front view.

Jaime_Weinman

#50 Post by Jaime_Weinman » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:31 pm

OT, but:
Is Futurama better than Simpsons?
I'm entering a "no" vote (though at least it's better than Family Guy). "Futurama" had pretty good lead characters but a weak crop of supporting characters; nothing to compare with "The Simpsons'" roster of great characters. Also, "Futurama" was too dependent on that kind of Harvard-Lampoon, comedy-about-comedy, self-referential humor. Whereas "The Simpsons" had a lot of Harvard Lampoon guys but its biggest influence, writing-wise, was James L. Brooks and his dark-yet-sentimental humor. Put it this way, the show "The Simpsons" most resembles at its best is Brooks's "Taxi" (a show about losers who manage find some hope and fun in their lives), while "Futurama" always reminded me too much of failed sci-fi comedies like "Quark."