#1 Post by dx23 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:33 pm

From Home Media Retailing:

[quote]Warner Home Video Acquires Peanuts Library From Paramount
Author: THOMAS K. ARNOLD
tarnold@questex.com
Posted: October 4, 2007
Email this Story to Friend

"Peanuts"
It's your new studio, Charlie Brown. Warner Home Video has signed an exclusive worldwide home video distribution deal for the “Peanutsâ€

tryavna

#2 Post by tryavna » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:47 pm

[quote]“We think it is a perennial brand, and we see consistent sales throughout the year on it,â€

Floyd

#3 Post by Floyd » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:59 pm

I have a soft spot for "Peanuts" and for some of these shows.

I don't know if anyone else has seen it but there is one called Happy New Year, Charlie Brown! where instead of Charlie being able to celebrate New Years he has to write a paper on War and Peace which he pushes around on a dolly. Also, the brother of Linus randomly blows up square balloons.
Last edited by Floyd on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:08 am

[quote]Other “Peanutsâ€

Joe Buck

#5 Post by Joe Buck » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:48 pm

I'm pretty excited by this news. I'm not that excited about buying all the Paramount DVD releases again, but I suppose they will present them in a way that I won't be able to refuse, although I am satisfied with the “This Is Americaâ€

Lino

#6 Post by Lino » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:39 pm

There's also this very good-looking german Boxset of 12 Peanuts DVDs for those who can't wait.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:32 pm

First title announced: Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown

patrick

#8 Post by patrick » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:18 pm

Not too shabby, but $20 and 2 discs? That seems like a bit of overkill for 90 minutes of episodes plus one special feature. I wonder if more features are forthcoming?

Bring on a special edition of A Boy Named Charlie Brown with Gary Groth commentary!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:27 pm

eh, it'll probably be ~$12 preorder somewhere and that sounds about right.

I'm guessing the next sets will be some sort of baseball/sports combo and an Easter combo, but this is pure speculation.

patrick

#10 Post by patrick » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Yeah, I'm sure the actual price on these won't be too bad, but the two discs is still perplexing me a little - it seems like an easy way to justify a higher price point without really adding content.

If Warner Bros. really has faith in this multi-tiered release plan, I wish they would go ahead and include the "big" specials in the Golden Collection sets, preferably in chronological order - I can't tell if this is happening or not from the original article.

However, WB has done well on the animation front, so I'll put my faith in them until I see the finished product. Since "The Easter Beagle" is the next release, I'd wager we might see Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown in the summer, especially since I don't believe Paramount ever released it on DVD.

Jeff

#11 Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:14 pm

domino harvey wrote:eh, it'll probably be ~$12 preorder somewhere and that sounds about right.

I'm guessing the next sets will be some sort of baseball/sports combo and an Easter combo, but this is pure speculation.
According to the original article, “It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown" is due on February 26, but I'm betting that a baseball-themed set is on tap for summer. I'm anxiously awaiting those "Golden Collections" and the feature films. I hope they lay down some Bill Melendez/Lee Mendelson commentary tracks (at least for the Christmas and Great Pumpkin specials) while they can. Melendez is 91 years old.

Joe Buck

#12 Post by Joe Buck » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:35 pm

I'm befuddled by this, since they aren't including “A Charlie Brown Valentineâ€

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#13 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:59 pm

Jeff wrote:
domino harvey wrote:eh, it'll probably be ~$12 preorder somewhere and that sounds about right.

According to the original article, “It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown" is due on February 26, but I'm betting that a baseball-themed set is on tap for summer. I'm anxiously awaiting those "Golden Collections" and the feature films. I hope they lay down some Bill Melendez/Lee Mendelson commentary tracks (at least for the Christmas and Great Pumpkin specials) while they can. Melendez is 91 years old.
Having a Bill Melendez commentary would be fantastic, as long as someone like Jerry Beck is moderating, asking the right questions.

I saw him in person, and Melendez doesn't look 91. He seems very youthful and was moving around quite fine. He had lots of great stories to tel about UPA as well.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:13 pm

Easter Beagle details.
You know, my excitement is lowering-- the foreign sets are looking to be a much better deal than one to two extra specials and a brief featurette per title.

Cinephrenic

#15 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:45 pm

As long as they release several of them a year, I personally don't mind. They should include more TV specials on each disc though.

Joe Buck

#16 Post by Joe Buck » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:14 am

domino harvey wrote:Easter Beagle details.
You know, my excitement is lowering-- the foreign sets are looking to be a much better deal than one to two extra specials and a brief featurette per title.
If I had a multi-region player, I would have gone for it. These new discs aren't quite what I was hoping for from Warner. A mere 2 Episodes on a disc seems like a big ol' rip off. They probably figure they can cash in on the Holiday crowd. Again, I'd really like to see these holiday specials and all the other less popular specials all under one roof. I might hold off on these until I catch wind of what the multi-disc sets will include. I can't see myself throwing away $15 for some featurette. They should be packing 5 specials on each disc.

Amazon has them up....$13.99: Be My Valentine - Peanuts: It's the Easter Beagle

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:59 pm

Digital Bits wrote: First up is The Peanuts Holiday Collection on DVD, which will contain A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving: Deluxe Edition, A Charlie Brown Christmas: Deluxe Edition and It�s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: Deluxe Edition, along with a CD of songs from the original soundtrack by Vince Guaraldi.
Yawn. Figures that the German boxed set it OOP now that it becomes clear it was the way to go.

Jeff

Re: Peanuts TV Specials

#18 Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:08 pm

WHV Press Release: Peanuts 1960s Collection

WARNER HOME VIDEO
PRESENTS
PEANUTS 1960s COLLECTION
A TREASURY OF ALL SIX POPULAR TELEVISION SPECIALS
TOGETHER ON DVD FOR THE FIRST TIME
JULY 7, 2009

Collection Includes Two Classic New-to-DVD
Plus All-New Enhanced Content

BURBANK, CA (March 10, 2009) – Snoopy will keep the dog days of summer cool and breezy this July with a six pack of the delightful Peanuts television specials from the 1960’s, which will be released by Warner Home Video (WHV) on July 7, 2009. The Peanuts 1960s Collection set showcases all six heartwarming TV specials in a two-disc set, as well as all-new enhanced content. Peanuts 1960s Collection will retail for $29.98 SRP.

Peanuts 1960s Collection is comprised of the first six animated Peanuts television specials that aired between 1965 and 1969, several of which earned either Emmy® Award nominations or wins. This is the first time all six specials are available to consumers in one set. Two of the specials, He’s Your Dog, Charlie Brown and It Was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown make their DVD debut. All six specials have been re-mastered for beautiful picture and sound quality.

Featured Specials:

* A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) – In this Emmy® and Peabody Award winning classic, Charlie Brown is upset by how commercial the Christmas holiday has become. To coax him out of his holiday blues, Lucy suggests he direct the school’s Christmas pageant and decorate a glorious tree. Charlie Brown concedes. The tree he finds however, is puny, prompting everyone to ridicule him.

* Charlie Brown’s All-Stars (1966) – Nominated for two Prime Time Emmys®, in this delightful special, Charlie Brown is faced with a difficult moral dilemma; should he accept brand new uniforms and give the rest of the gang a chance to be part of an official little league baseball team even if it means that due to policy, Snoopy, Lucy, Patty, Violet and Frieda must be kicked off?

* It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) – This Emmy® Award-nominated special, finds the Peanuts gang outfitted in costumes, ready for trick or treating and crashing Violet’s Halloween party. Charlie Brown is in a ghost costume (with more eyeholes cut out than needed), Lucy dressed as a witch and Snoopy in a World War I flying ace costume. Linus decides to steadfastly hold vigil in the pumpkin patch as he awaits the Great Pumpkin.

* You’re in Love, Charlie Brown (1967) – This Emmy® Award-nominated special finds Charlie Brown trying to work up the courage to meet his school-girl crush, the little red-haired girl. He enlists the help of his pals Linus and Peppermint Patty but they only aggravate the situation.

* He’s Your Dog, Charlie Brown (1968) – This Emmy® Award-nominated special finds Snoopy returning to the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm for a refresher course in obedience training after his mischievous behavior lands Charlie Brown in trouble. On his way to the puppy farm however, Snoopy finds refuge in Peppermint Patty’s house, that’s until Charlie Brown gets a call from the puppy farm telling him Snoopy never showed up.

* It was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown (1969) – At summer camp, the Peanuts gang put up with poor food and the girls winning all the sports competitions. To get even, the boys challenge them into a wrist-wresting contest between Lucy and “The Masked Marvel” – aka Snoopy in disguise.

DVD Special Features Include:

* The Maestro of Menlo Park – Profiling Composer Vince Guaraldi – This short documentary film provides a glimpse into jazz musician Vince Guaraldi’s life, and how his music was so much more than just the theme to Peanuts.

“The 1960s is where it all began for the Peanuts TV specials, setting up an enduring franchise that has grown to include 41 TV specials, spanning 5 decades. Each special, beautifully crafted by Charles Schulz, is unique and exceptional in its own right, and deserves to be seen and enjoyed,” said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President, Family, Animation and Sports Marketing. He added, “Consumers won’t want to miss this extraordinary collection. It’s loaded with delightfully animated, humorous and touching stories that are just as fresh and relevant today as they were 40 years ago.”

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Glad I waited

mogwai

#20 Post by mogwai » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:27 pm

A Charlie Brown Christmas blu-ray has been announced.

anvilscepe

#21 Post by anvilscepe » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:38 pm

My apologies if this isn't the appropriate thread, but doesn't anyone else want a release of Race for your Life Charlie Brown and Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back!!)?

Jeff

#22 Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:29 am

Here is the trailer for volume one of the upcoming 1970s collection. It looks like they are sticking with strict chronological order, which is nice. There will be six cartoons on volume one, which would leave eight for volume two. There will probably be two volumes for the 80s (14 cartoons), one volume for the 90s (6 cartoons), and one volume for the 00s (6 cartoons). There were also several documentaries and retrospectives that will hopefully turn up as bonus features.
anvilscepe wrote:My apologies if this isn't the appropriate thread, but doesn't anyone else want a release of Race for your Life Charlie Brown and Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back!!)?
I watched both of those over and over as a kid. I'd love to have them. I think that Paramount may still own the feature films, since they distributed them theatrically. Bon Voyage has an in-flight movie scene featuring the 70s Paramount logo.

anvilscepe

#23 Post by anvilscepe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:35 am

Jeff wrote:I watched both of those over and over as a kid. I'd love to have them. I think that Paramount may still own the feature films, since they distributed them theatrically. Bon Voyage has an in-flight movie scene featuring the 70s Paramount logo.
I used to have both titles on Betamax and man did I destroy those tapes as a kid (that and Nelvanimation). I would love for them to be released. I'm glad there's some love out there for these titles.

flyonthewall2983

#24 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:01 am

I remember Bon Voyage pretty well from watching it on HBO a few times in my youth. I think Paramount does still have the rights to those movies.

gokinsmen

#25 Post by gokinsmen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:47 am

The 60s collection didn't come with any of the behind-the-scenes featurettes. I doubt the 70s collection will either.

Other than A Boy Named Charlie Brown and Snoopy Come Home, none of the feature-length Peanuts cartoons especially worth rewatching, let alone purchasing.