Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
oh yeah

Re: Twin Peaks

#401 Post by oh yeah » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Quot wrote:Biggest omission is Michael J. Anderson.
I liked him in the original series and FWWM (and Carnivale), but good riddance. The guy's a delusional anti-Semite who's posted on his Facebook page about how it's impossible to be friends with gay guys because they always want to fuck him and get angry when he declines, how Sandy Hook and the Boston Marathon bombing were just government conspiracies to distract the sheeple, and (repeatedly) how the Jews "run Hollywood" (he's even blamed his recent lack of work on his Brave choice of not kowtowing to these mean Jews).

Not surprising that he's widely disliked and ignored by the rest of the Peaks cast and crew. He wanted more than Showtime offered, so he threw a tantrum like a little baby and publicly badmouthed them on FB immediately after. Classy. Not that that's the worst of his problems...

Quot

#402 Post by Quot » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:35 pm

Wow. I was unaware of his backstory. I assumed that since Lynch went back to him for MD, that there was a chance.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#403 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:01 pm

My default assumption is that everyone in the entertainment industry is either insane, a terrible person, or actively opposed to everything I hold dear. It's still not going to be Twin Peaks without him.

oh yeah

#404 Post by oh yeah » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:05 pm

swo17 wrote:My default assumption is that everyone in the entertainment industry is either insane, a terrible person, or actively opposed to everything I hold dear. It's still not going to be Twin Peaks without him.
It's definitely a loss, but I have faith in Lynch being able to conjure up new mythologies and new characters just as terrifying or enchanting as those that came before. From what I've heard from people in the know, that's precisely what he's doing -- going down new uncanny paths instead of giving us a BOB hologram, or whatever.

hearthesilence

#405 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:19 am

Hell just recast the role, they've already done that for a few roles already.

warren oates

#406 Post by warren oates » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 am

I have to agree with swo and oh yeah, and disagree with hearthesilence. The part is so idiosyncratic and also so non-narrative -- not at all like Donna -- that I imagine Lynch will just imagine another equally weird dream world figure instead.

Roger Ryan

#407 Post by Roger Ryan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:13 pm

I have to assume they are using old footage of Coulson, right? Or did she manage she shoot a new scene or two before she died?

Also, Reznor's former NIN bandmate Robin Finck is listed in the cast so a live performance seems likely. A great cast, all told, with many favorites showing up.

matrixschmatrix

#408 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sun May 01, 2016 5:04 am

oh yeah wrote:
I liked him in the original series and FWWM (and Carnivale), but good riddance. The guy's a delusional anti-Semite who's posted on his Facebook page about how it's impossible to be friends with gay guys because they always want to fuck him and get angry when he declines, how Sandy Hook and the Boston Marathon bombing were just government conspiracies to distract the sheeple, and (repeatedly) how the Jews "run Hollywood" (he's even blamed his recent lack of work on his Brave choice of not kowtowing to these mean Jews).

Not surprising that he's widely disliked and ignored by the rest of the Peaks cast and crew. He wanted more than Showtime offered, so he threw a tantrum like a little baby and publicly badmouthed them on FB immediately after. Classy. Not that that's the worst of his problems...
Where did this come up? Looking at the current state of his facebook page, he appears to be an extremely hardcore Bernie supporter, which is kind of surprising (though obviously not impossible) for an anti-Semite.

oh yeah

#409 Post by oh yeah » Sun May 01, 2016 8:55 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:
oh yeah wrote:

Where did this come up? Looking at the current state of his facebook page, he appears to be an extremely hardcore Bernie supporter, which is kind of surprising (though obviously not impossible) for an anti-Semite.
It would take a while to dig those quotes up, they're mostly a couple years older, but if you keep on looking you'll find something probably. I notice that he did delete the post about gay men only wanting him for sex and becoming all evil when he declines. And yeah, all he seems to post recently is Bernie stuff; I guess he's a somewhat selective anti-Semite.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#410 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat May 07, 2016 3:04 am

Wow, no joke re: Anderson. In response to the most recent inquiry on Facebook as to whether he'd be returning for the new season, he said: "The Jews blacklisted me at the very height of my career so I retired."

The last part of his bio reads: "Anderson gained further recognition and success in recent years for his work on the HBO series Carnivàle. Since then, despite massive public demand, he was arbitrarily labeled a Nazi, and maliciously blacklisted by the Jewish mob in Hollywood as revenge for the holocaust of World War II."

I'm just going to speculate that there may be some mental illness at play here and try not to judge him too much. I'll echo feelings elsewhere in this thread that Twin Peaks won't be the same without him, and also that he was Emmy-worthy in the still underseen and underdiscussed masterpiece Carnivàle.

He also mentions in a few responses to questions about/praise for Carnivàle that it ended his career. Does anyone know any more about what happened/what he thinks happened there?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#411 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 07, 2016 9:13 am

On the plus side, Jews have finally achieved retribution for the horrors of the Holocaust by stymying the acting work of one person

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#412 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:17 pm

Emak-Bakia

#413 Post by Emak-Bakia » Fri May 20, 2016 1:12 am

I was rewatching The Searchers recently, and there's one moment in particular that really jumped out at me:

The image of one of the captive women cradling a log like a baby is so surreal and, for obvious reasons, is reminiscent of the Log Lady from Twin Peaks. Of course, Lynch has mentioned liking Ford's films, so it's possible that this image from The Searchers influenced him either consciously or unconsciously. Not an earth-shattering revelation or anything, but I still thought someone here might get a kick out of this little observation.

Post edited to re-link image.
Last edited by Emak-Bakia on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hearthesilence

#414 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 20, 2016 1:50 am

Hank Worden was in both films - I don't think it's coincidence, he probably drew inspiration from The Searchers in more ways than one.

Roger Ryan

#415 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri May 20, 2016 9:06 am

Lynch's work is filled with direct allusions to some of his favorite films. In Twin Peaks, the Myna bird is named after Clifton Webb's character in Laura and Lynch's own FBI director shares a name with a character from Sunset Boulevard. Lynch even included a visual allusion to Tati's Mon Oncle in both Wild at Heart and Mulholland Drive!

Emak-Bakia

#416 Post by Emak-Bakia » Fri May 20, 2016 9:19 am

Cool, thanks to both of you for the information.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#418 Post by tenia » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:06 am

"Blue Velvet Revisited" ?

dadaistnun

#419 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:27 am

tenia wrote:"Blue Velvet Revisited" ?
It's a feature length reworking of the oft-bootlegged "No Frank in Lumberton" doc. Info here.

whaleallright

#420 Post by whaleallright » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:32 am

Lynch even included a visual allusion to Tati's Mon Oncle in both Wild at Heart and Mulholland Drive!
The finale episode of Twin Peaks has a pretty obvious borrowing from PlayTime. (And Tati's use of ambient/industrial sounds was an influence on Lynch and Alan Splet, from Eraserhead on.)

sir_luke

Twin Peaks

#421 Post by sir_luke » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:41 pm

Mondo has a deluxe LP of the Twin Peaks soundtrack available for pre-order. Artwork by Criterion regular Sam Smith and "damn fine coffee colored" vinyl, as well as sleeve notes by Badalamenti himself.

Roger Ryan

#422 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:46 am

I'm re-watching the series on Blu-ray and have been picking up a number of other film references Lynch (or the other writers) have dropped in: the insurance salesman who has a brief scene with Catherine Martell is named "Neff" (as in "Walter Neff" from Double Indemnity); strands from what is thought to be a vicuña coat are analyzed (Norma Desmond insists on buying a vicuña coat for Joe Gillis in Sunset Boulevard); a big allusion I can't believe I missed before is the naming of Laura Palmer's look-alike cousin Madeline (clearly a reference to Vertigo). In the extended cut of the documentary A Slice of Lynch included as an extra, Lynch confirms that his FBI Chief "Gordon Cole" was named after the character in Sunset Boulevard and goes to say that he believes Wilder based the moniker on the names of two streets located close to Paramount Studios.

I also smiled when Audrey asks fellow high school student Donna if she's heard of "One-Eyed Jack's". "Isn't that a western with Marlon Brando?" Donna replies.

PfR73

#423 Post by PfR73 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:48 pm

Maybe you already knew about these, but "Laura" Palmer was a reference to Otto Preminger's Laura with another reference to that film being the myna bird named "Waldo" who was owned by "Dr. Lydecker." In Laura, Clifton Webb's character is named "Waldo Lydecker." And the one-armed man, Philip Michael Gerard, is named after Lt. Philip Gerard from The Fugitive (about a search for a one-armed man).

oh yeah

#424 Post by oh yeah » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:28 pm

I'm also re-watching the series, except I'm specifically watching the "slump" episodes of S2 in particular. I actually love this show so much that I find the weakest episodes in a way the most fascinating of all, they're so different from everything else and so ridiculous at times that you just wonder how it happened. But there are good parts among the silliness, and only maybe two hours that are really flat-out dull. Plus, things get back on track with the excellent Lesli Linka Glatter-directed Episode 23. All in all, this show is like a world to get lost into, and that applies to all the episodes. To me, S1 was just the show getting started, as great as it was -- I prefer S2 even as it's messier and more obviously flawed (then again, it's also three times longer so that was kind of bound to happen).

Adam X

#425 Post by Adam X » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:22 pm

oh yeah wrote:I find the weakest episodes in a way the most fascinating of all, they're so different from everything else and so ridiculous at times that you just wonder how it happened.
While there are arguments out there for and against David Lynch being involved in the downward trajectory of season 2's mid-section, I tend to feel that it was likely Robert Engels & Harley Peyton (and quite likely CBS) who were at fault. At least, based on the intended direction for the season finale before Lynch took over the reigns.

The Wrapped in Plastic magazine had an article about the very different approach it would've taken (specifically with regard to the representation/characterisation of the Black Lodge, Bob & Windom Earl).

Original script. Wikipedia has a breakdown of the changes.