Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
dda1996a

Re: Twin Peaks

#476 Post by dda1996a » Mon May 15, 2017 11:25 am

well, I don't think anyone can predict Lynch, which is one of the best things about him. I found the second half of season 2 to be lesser, but it was still filled with great moments, and the finale and FWWM were both great. I have complete trust in Lynch, as he wouldn't have returned for nothing.
Thats the thing that most excites me, I have absolutely no clue what will happen, and I love it

med

#477 Post by med » Mon May 15, 2017 11:34 am

Hard to discern based on the one word you hear him speak in the teaser, but I hope Gordon Cole finally got some working hearing aids.

Roger Ryan

#478 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon May 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Although the last two-thirds of the second season definitely had quality control problems, the full "Laura Palmer" arc (starting with the pilot and continuing through "Episode 16") is remarkably solid. That portion of the original series totals close to 18 hours which tells me that the new series' running length should be just about right.

dda1996a

#479 Post by dda1996a » Mon May 15, 2017 1:00 pm

It wasn't awful as most people might say, but it felt forced to continue once Laura's arc was finished. Windom Earle was a decent addition, and as much as he was fun to watch, Billy Zane's went nowhere. I think most issues stem from Lynch taking off to shoot Wild At Heart. The series finale was brilliant

J M Powell

#480 Post by J M Powell » Mon May 15, 2017 1:38 pm

dda1996a wrote:I think most issues stem from Lynch taking off to shoot Wild At Heart.
This notion is repeated all over the place, but it's not true. Wild at Heart played Cannes two days after the first season finale of Twin Peaks, and the film opened worldwide prior to the second season premiere. Lynch's disappearance from the production of Twin Peaks after the conclusion of the Laura Palmer investigation arc had nothing to do with Wild at Heart.

DeprongMori

#481 Post by DeprongMori » Mon May 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Revisiting an old question I couldn't find a resolution to in the forum regarding the audio sync problems in "Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery". Did Paramount or CBS ever implement a disc replacement program?

The audio sync problems with the "Original Stereo" are more pronounced in some episodes than others, but in Episode 17 (Disc 5) they are pretty unbearable. The problem was also bad in Episode 10 on Disc 3, and I understand it is also a problem on The Missing Pieces disc.

Does anyone know if the problem was resolved on subsequent pressings? Mine is the original 2014 release of the box -- ISBN 1415768919 UPC 097361443942.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#482 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:45 pm

J M Powell wrote:
dda1996a wrote:I think most issues stem from Lynch taking off to shoot Wild At Heart.
This notion is repeated all over the place, but it's not true. Wild at Heart played Cannes two days after the first season finale of Twin Peaks, and the film opened worldwide prior to the second season premiere. Lynch's disappearance from the production of Twin Peaks after the conclusion of the Laura Palmer investigation arc had nothing to do with Wild at Heart.
Yes, if anything it was meddling by the network and some of the cast (Lara Flynn Boyle effectively jettisoning the Audrey Horne/Agent Cooper plotline, to name one) that made that stretch of the series so unpleasant, and I'm sure that made Lynch disinterested in participating until being coaxed back for the tail end of the season. He was primarily displeased that the network forced the mystery to be revealed so early on. Unsuprisingly, Frost and the rest of the writers were not able to cook up anything nearly as interesting as the Palmer murder on their own.

Cold Bishop

#483 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon May 15, 2017 1:56 pm

The big issue was bringing the Laura Palmer mystery to such a final conclusion. The moment Lynch and Frost knew they had to resolve it, they should have began laying the groundwork for the next cycle.

Any one know of any Hulu offers other than your standard free month?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#484 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:57 pm

I do know that Hulu is offering a free month for their service, and then once you're signed up also offering a free month of Showtime. That's easily the longest available Showtime trial available, any others I've seen are for 7 days.

cdobbs

#485 Post by cdobbs » Mon May 15, 2017 2:02 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
J M Powell wrote:
Yes, if anything it was meddling by the network and some of the cast (Lara Flynn Boyle effectively jettisoning the Audrey Horne/Agent Cooper plotline, to name one) that made that stretch of the series so unpleasant, and I'm sure that made Lynch disinterested in participating until being coaxed back for the tail end of the season. He was primarily displeased that the network forced the mystery to be revealed so early on. Unsuprisingly, Frost and the rest of the writers were not able to cook up anything nearly as interesting as the Palmer murder on their own.
Frost had pretty much checked out as well as he was working on his own debut film during season 2, so there were essentially 2 staff writers running the show after the reveal of Laura's killer.

PfR73

#486 Post by PfR73 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:The big issue was bringing the Laura Palmer mystery to such a final conclusion. The moment Lynch and Frost knew they had to resolve it, they should have began laying the groundwork for the next cycle.
They did. Episode 9, which is several episodes before the murder revelation, introduces the Windom Earle plot & begins laying the groundwork for the lodges (The Tremonds, Major Briggs' radio work). Episode 13 begins Windom Earle's chess game with Cooper. And before the Windom Earle plot really gets going, you have Cooper vs. Jean Renault, which is started up with the kidnapping/rescue of Audrey Horne, which also takes place prior to the murder resolution.

Cold Bishop

#487 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon May 15, 2017 3:19 pm

I consider the Renaults to be part and parcel with the Laura Palmer story. They should have done more than a few scenes of exposition. There was no narrative hook in place to keep from bleeding viewers after the storyline ended. You add Lynch and Frost's absence, and the viewership decline seems obvious and inevitable.

dda1996a

#488 Post by dda1996a » Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 pm

Well I guess I was wrong, but my info was from some online reading so I guess a lot mixed that up. Anyway I don't hate the back half, I think people over exaggerate how bad it is.
Having just finished rewatching FWWM, I find it such an interesting film. Obviously it was a box office failure, and a critical mess when it came out, but I do like it quite a lot. Sadly with Bowie's death we won't get any more answers, but I'm wondering if Chester and the blue rose part will show up, especially with Dean Stanton returning.
Also wondering what parts Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee will play

colinr0380

#489 Post by colinr0380 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:52 pm

med wrote:Hard to discern based on the one word you hear him speak in the teaser, but I hope Gordon Cole finally got some working hearing aids.
Or has gone completely deaf in the meantime and can only communicate through bizarre coded sign language gestures like the girl in the airport in Fire Walk With Me!

beamish13

#490 Post by beamish13 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:09 pm

It is just incredible how things aligned for Lynch in 1989. The great "what if", though, is whether he would've filmed Dennis Potter's adaptation of
D.M. Thomas' novel The White Hotel if Peaks or Wild at Heart hadn't been greenlit.

Regarding Peaks' still-debated decline in quality, how much deserves to be attributed to Harley Peyton? I've expressed my hatred of his work on Less Than Zero on
the forum.

pzadvance

#491 Post by pzadvance » Mon May 15, 2017 4:23 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I do know that Hulu is offering a free month for their service, and then once you're signed up also offering a free month of Showtime. That's easily the longest available Showtime trial available, any others I've seen are for 7 days.
Anyone have any reliable info about when this will show up on the various platforms that offer Showtime add-ons? For Amazon, Hulu, etc. will it pop up at 9PM Sunday night? Or after the airing? Or the next day? Trying to plan a Sunday night viewing but can't find any of these details!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#492 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:39 pm

I've never used it, but a quick Google search indicated that shows go up shortly after they begin airing, much like HBO Go. Unless they're live broadcasts, then it's about 24 hours later.

Roger Ryan

#493 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon May 15, 2017 4:44 pm

DeprongMori wrote:Revisiting an old question I couldn't find a resolution to in the forum regarding the audio sync problems in "Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery". Did Paramount or CBS ever implement a disc replacement program?

The audio sync problems with the "Original Stereo" are more pronounced in some episodes than others, but in Episode 17 (Disc 5) they are pretty unbearable. The problem was also bad in Episode 10 on Disc 3, and I understand it is also a problem on The Missing Pieces disc.

Does anyone know if the problem was resolved on subsequent pressings? Mine is the original 2014 release of the box -- ISBN 1415768919 UPC 097361443942.
I don't believe there was ever a disc replacement program implemented. On my set, the audio sync is off on Episode 9, the FWWM movie and the "Missing Pieces" deleted scenes*. Turning off the "24 fps" option on my Sony Blu-ray player (which produces a "1080/60p" image instead of "1080/24p") corrects the audio sync for pretty much everything except for Jack Nance's deleted scene. Not ideal, but better than watching with bad sync.

*This just applies to the 7.1 surround mixes; I've not tried watching the show with the original stereo mixes.

pzadvance

#494 Post by pzadvance » Mon May 15, 2017 4:55 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I've never used it, but a quick Google search indicated that shows go up shortly after they begin airing, much like HBO Go. Unless they're live broadcasts, then it's about 24 hours later.
This unfortunately does not seem to be the case after a brief chat session with Hulu support. I was told that "All SHOWTIME anytime content is made available the day after it airs via SHOWTIME." And when I asked about the "Showtime Live TV" option that allegedly allows you to view a live feed of Showtime, I was told that "not all content is always available live," so it's basically a crapshoot as to whether or not you'd get to see Twin Peaks the night it aired via Hulu.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#495 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:00 pm

I would find it odd if Showtime owned content wouldn't be available via the Live function - that asterisk is probably reserved for stuff like live boxing matches, etc. Praying I'm not wrong.

cdobbs

#496 Post by cdobbs » Mon May 15, 2017 5:06 pm

pzadvance

#497 Post by pzadvance » Mon May 15, 2017 5:19 pm

the owls are not what they seem

EDIT: Got clarification from a better Hulu employee:
"That [day-long delay] is for Hulu content, with the SHOWTIME premium add-on SHOWTIME shows are available to stream right as it airs.
So if the show airs on SHOWTIME at 9:00 PM it is available to stream with the SHOWTIME premium add-on at 9:00 PM."

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#498 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Also, unless something has changed, this was the information press released earlier this year by the network, and I'm combining it with another quote from a press release in late April:
Following the TV premiere, Showtime subscribers can watch the third and fourth hours of “Twin Peaks” on Showtime’s streaming service, Showtime Anytime, and Showtime On Demand. In the second week on TV, the third and fourth hours will air back-to-back on the network, starting at 9 p.m. One-hour episodes will air in subsequent weeks. It will conclude with a 2-part finale on Sunday, September 3rd.
So as far as I can figure:

05/21: Episodes 1 and 2, plus 3 and 4 become available to stream later that night
05/28: Episodes 3 and 4
06/04: Episode 5
06/11: Episode 6
06/18: Episode 7
06/25: Episode 8
07/02: [skipping for 4th of July weekend]
07/09: Episode 9
07/16: Episode 10
07/23: Episode 11
07/30: Episode 12
08/06: Episode 13 [move to 8 PM for remainder of season begins here]
08/13: Episode 14
08/20: Episode 15
08/27: Episode 16
09/03: Episodes 17 and 18

Thinking that's correct, but someone correct me if I'm missing anything. This Twin Peaks fansite seems to back this up, including a note that the airtime will move up from 9 PM to 8 PM for the remainder of the season beginning on August 6th.

DeprongMori

#499 Post by DeprongMori » Mon May 15, 2017 6:00 pm

I don't believe there was ever a disc replacement program implemented. On my set, the audio sync is off on Episode 9, the FWWM movie and the "Missing Pieces" deleted scenes*. Turning off the "24 fps" option on my Sony Blu-ray player (which produces a "1080/60p" image instead of "1080/24p") corrects the audio sync for pretty much everything except for Jack Nance's deleted scene. Not ideal, but better than watching with bad sync.

*This just applies to the 7.1 surround mixes; I've not tried watching the show with the original stereo mixes.
Bad news then. I'm already set at 1080p/60Hz on my LG player. This problem is manifesting in the "Original Stereo Mix". I've got an inquiry in to Paramount Home Entertainment customer service. We'll see what they have to say, though their autoresponder indicates they are unlikely to respond in less than two weeks. If I find out anything I'll post it here.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#500 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:17 am

I had some time to poke around on my PS4's Hulu app yesterday to see how the Showtime stuff is integrated and it seems pretty seamless (it sort of gets its own separate area the way Criterion had one). Films have their full posters displayed, and I was delighted to see that Twin Peaks has its own sub-section with (titled!) Season 1 and Season 2 episodes, and Fire Walk With Me with its original theatrical poster all available for streaming in HD. It makes me feel good to know that Twin Peaks is in good hands, considering how well the promotional material and now the surfacing of the old series has been handled by them.