jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

Re: Twin Peaks

#651 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:12 pm

teddyleevin

#652 Post by teddyleevin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:43 am

Roger Ryan wrote:
Robin Davies wrote:...I nearly cheered when Lynch/Cole started whistling the theme from Amarcord. The title means "I remember" and, as he couldn't get the end bit right, he was effectively trying to remember "I remember".
I did not pick up on this! Thanks.
I heard that it was Rammstein's "Engel." Either way, it would not be a surprise choice for Lynch.

BigMack3000

#653 Post by BigMack3000 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:08 am

jindianajonz wrote:

I'll see this, and raise you:

Saturnome

#654 Post by Saturnome » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:25 am

I caught this, just before the previously mentioned scene with the diner :
SpoilerShow
Next frame :
And it goes back to the close up, and back again to the other shot, but Not-Jacques is never moving.
It may be an honest mistake, or the show is indeed slowly breaking up.

carmilla mircalla

#655 Post by carmilla mircalla » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:31 am

Saturnome wrote:I caught this, just before the previously mentioned scene with the diner :
SpoilerShow
Next frame :
And it goes back to the close up, and back again to the other shot, but Not-Jacques is never moving.
It may be an honest mistake, or the show is indeed slowly breaking.
I imagine this could actually just be an honest continuity error but the jet windows and the diner customers definitely seem intentional

Saturnome

#656 Post by Saturnome » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:33 am

Maybe, but it's the scene just before the diner one. I have no doubt about the diner scene being intentional though. Also I never, ever notice these kind of things, so it was kind of interesting to me !

carmilla mircalla

#657 Post by carmilla mircalla » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:37 am

Saturnome wrote:Maybe, but it's the scene just before the diner one. I have no doubt about the diner scene being intentional though. Also I never, ever notice these kind of things, so it was kind of interesting to me !
I think that's the beauty of Lynch's direction now. He provides some good distractions while these small, bizarre details are literally happening right in front of the viewers face. I thought I did notice something wierd about the windows the first time but I assumed because the sun rays were just hitting the side of the plane and making bright obscurations. But I seriously did not notice the diner thing til I checked on this thread

Roger Ryan

#658 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 am

I feel the bar scene is simply a continuity error between the wide shot and the close-up. I took the disappearing plane windows to be the reflection of the sun washing them out as well (although the effect isn't particularly convincing and, therefore, draws attention to itself). The diner issue is probably just the result of a post-production decision to use a wide shot as a backing plate for the credits and the coverage they had of the diner was shot at a different time than the previous shot (the extras were changed out and/or changed positions). Probably in Lynch's perfect world, the under-the-credits shot wouldn't have been used as his "18-hour film" would have simply cut to the next scene.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#659 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:13 am

Even if these things are accidents, they certainly are happy ones. However, I'm still of the thought that any editor worth their salt, particularly working on something with as much scrutiny as this, would not make a continuity error that substantial.

cdobbs

#660 Post by cdobbs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:45 am

There's no doubt the diner scene at least is intentionally screwy:
SpoilerShow
the guy who runs in and out asking about Billy is walking around inside the diner in the last few seconds of the episode. Whether it portends anything or is just a surreal stunt Lynch thought of remains to be seen.

teddyleevin

#661 Post by teddyleevin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Apparently he is shouting for "Bing" who is credited as being played by Riley Lynch but who I don't see anywhere in this episode...

cdobbs

#662 Post by cdobbs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:09 pm

teddyleevin wrote:Apparently he is shouting for "Bing" who is credited as being played by Riley Lynch but who I don't see anywhere in this episode...
That is Riley Lynch as Bing, he was shouting for "Billy." Showtime's captions were apparently incorrect.
https://twitter.com/thatsourwaldo/statu ... 6394824705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flyonthewall2983

#663 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Who played Beverly's husband?

PfR73

#664 Post by PfR73 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:25 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Who played Beverly's husband?
Hugh Dillon

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#665 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:03 pm

I definitely thought for a second that it was Harry Truman and that was the show's way of revealing him (with the context of the phone conversation with the other Truman earlier in the episode), until I realized he looked absolutely nothing like Ontkean. It is pretty fascinating to see the different ways in which Lynch is using some of the older actors in the show - instead of insisting that everything is as slick as possible, it just feels like a very realistic spectrum of ways in which one might contact an person who played a key part in events taking place 25 years prior, in most cases with them being either elderly, infirm, or in the case of the younger Dern, having absolutely no interest in revisiting that set of circumstances.

teddyleevin

#666 Post by teddyleevin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:35 pm

cdobbs wrote:
teddyleevin wrote:Apparently he is shouting for "Bing" who is credited as being played by Riley Lynch but who I don't see anywhere in this episode...
That is Riley Lynch as Bing, he was shouting for "Billy." Showtime's captions were apparently incorrect.
https://twitter.com/thatsourwaldo/statu ... 6394824705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow! Thanks for the clarification. This scene is full of weird misdirects. I wonder if it will ever be picked up again!

Werewolf by Night

#667 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:It is pretty fascinating to see the different ways in which Lynch is using some of the older actors in the show...in most cases with them being either elderly, infirm....
I think it was there in the original series to some extent, but there does seem to be a heavy, overhanging theme of aging, decline, and physical frailty in this permutation of the series with so many characters (and the actors portraying them) in ill health: Margaret (Log Lady), Dr. Hayward, Tom Paige (Beverly's husband), the offscreen Sheriff Harry Truman.

DeprongMori

#668 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:01 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:It is pretty fascinating to see the different ways in which Lynch is using some of the older actors in the show...in most cases with them being either elderly, infirm....
I think it was there in the original series to some extent, but there does seem to be a heavy, overhanging theme of aging, decline, and physical frailty in this permutation of the series with so many characters (and the actors portraying them) in ill health: Margaret (Log Lady), Dr. Hayward, Tom Paige (Beverly's husband), the offscreen Sheriff Harry Truman.
I regret the opening credits no longer carry the contemporary shot of the ruined Packard sawmill that we got to see in the first episode's opening. The initial episode opening was both beautiful and brilliant, with a sense of taking place in a sort of post-apocalyptic fog-drenched dreamworld. The extended spinning pan across the Red Room floor at the end of it (drastically shortened in later episodes) created a hypnotic Dream Machine effect to welcome the viewer in.

flyonthewall2983

#669 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
SpoilerShow
Frank is definitely Harry S. Truman's brother (he even calls him "brother" during the phone conversation). Robert Forster, after all, is only five years older than Michael Ontkean and was Lynch's original choice to play Sheriff Truman back in '89 (other commitments prevented Forster from accepting the role).
SpoilerShow
I misheard something, thinking he was actually Harry's father for some reason.

Quot

#670 Post by Quot » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Showtime President and CEO David Nevins says, “The version of ‘Twin Peaks’ you’re going to see is the pure heroin version of David Lynch.”
So that's what he meant.

I think the twitternet machine is going to blow up over "Part 8" of Lynch's..uh..whatever that was.

Unbelievable. I absolutely loved it. Gonna take a few more viewings to process this one.

flyonthewall2983

#671 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:24 pm

SpoilerShow
I'm guessing we just saw Bob's backstory, and that of the black and white lodges

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#672 Post by jindianajonz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:37 pm

SpoilerShow
Somebody on Reddit pointed out that up until tonight, the only hits online for "The horse is the white of the eyes" was a website called commercialsihate.com, with posts going back until last december. The website is currently down, likely do to traffic, but a cache from earlier today shows that it seems to be a forum for discussing commericals that inexplicably had the full poem posted at the bottom of certain pages.

As if this episode wasn't bizarre enough on its own.

carmilla mircalla

#673 Post by carmilla mircalla » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:24 pm

So my simple summation of tonight's episode
SpoilerShow
I guess nuclear testing opened up the gateway to the Black Lodge which then spewed out BOB and entities similar to him into our world, the purple place possibly the white lodge (even though it was mostly black) manufactured Laura Palmer in the same way Dougie was manufactured for a purpose to possibly fend off the threat of the black lodge crossing into our world...

But that weird amphibian insect I have no fucking clue.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#674 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:37 pm

jindianajonz wrote:
SpoilerShow
Somebody on Reddit pointed out that up until tonight, the only hits online for "The horse is the white of the eyes" was a website called commercialsihate.com, with posts going back until last december. The website is currently down, likely do to traffic, but a cache from earlier today shows that it seems to be a forum for discussing commericals that inexplicably had the full poem posted at the bottom of certain pages.

As if this episode wasn't bizarre enough on its own.
This has me extremely upset. I haven't felt this genuinely freaked out/frightened in a long long time

Finch

#675 Post by Finch » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:15 am

magnificent episode that manages the feat of making the season two finale look ordinary. feel sorry for those who decide to quit after this extraordinary piece of art.