Phantom of the Paradise

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Phantom of the Paradise

#51 Post by tenia » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:20 pm

TMDaines wrote:How many people here have actually calibrated their monitors to the correct standard? It's worth asking, even if you all may have done. There was another thread elsewhere where about half a dozen people were bickering over the differences between two caps and it transpired that no-one was looking at screenshots on a calibrated monitor.
While having a calibrated set is of course perfect for absolute feedback (ie non-comparative), since you're comparing captures on the same monitor, its effect shouldn't only be exaggerating existing differences ? The darker disc might be even darker, or the brighter disc even brighter, etc etc.

For instance, if I take _shadow_ comparison, and that I watch it on my home computer screen, or my office computer screen, even if they are not at all the same, the left cap is still darker but with more saturation, the right one noisier and less saturated. I'm not sure how a non-calibrated monitor would make the caps from Arrow's disc not being darker and more saturated all of a sudden and change their "ranking".

Plus, there's always the possibility to bypass this monitor effect by going down to the caps and checking RGB value of each caps. I'm quite sure all available caps would reveal that the hair of the receptionnist are indeed lost in a 0 0 0 black value, and thus, no calibrated monitor will ever bring these details back.

Just my 2 cents.

EddieLarkin

#52 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:30 pm

The Archivist, of the The Swan Archives (who provided many of the special features for the Arrow disc; more details on that here, under the Jan 16th entry) weighs in on the look of the transfer here.

David M.

#53 Post by David M. » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:45 pm

med wrote:Pedantic post: there are people in this thread using "accurate" when what they mean is "what I prefer."
That isn't pedantic at all! Accurate video isn't about preferences, it's about... well, accuracy!

Galen Young

#54 Post by Galen Young » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:03 pm

As others have commented, I was a bit apprehensive seeing the various screen caps for the Arrow edition posted online -- but now that I've got it and watched it, have to say it looks fantastic. Never had the sense it was too dark or lacked detail in the shadows, the colors overall are vibrant similar to what I remember from seeing 35mm prints screened over the years. Don't have the French disc so can't comment on how it compares, but am relieved the Arrow disc looks great after all. Loved their work on Obsession and The Fury, can't wait for Sisters and really hope they'll get to Carrie and Body Double someday.