The Night of the Hunter

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

antnield

The Night of the Hunter

#1 Post by antnield » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:08 am

This visually ravishing, authentically terrifying Southern Gothic masterpiece is one of the cinema's great one-offs, not just because it was the only film directed by the actor Charles Laughton.

Robert Mitchum gives a career-best performance as Harry Powell, a self-appointed preacher with LOVE and HATE tattooed on his knuckles who travels to a small town in search of his executed cellmate s stash of cash, under the impression that his two young children know its whereabouts.

But the film's melodramatic plot plays second fiddle to some of the most extraordinary images ever captured on film. Laughton and cinematographer Stanley Cortez (The Magnificent Ambersons) imbue almost every shot with a luminosity that recalls the great silent masterpieces of F.W. Murnau and Victor Sjöström. A widely misunderstood flop at the time (which put Laughton off ever directing again), it's now regarded as one of the greatest of all American films.

-New digital transfer made from 35mm film elements restored by UCLA Film & Television Archive in cooperation with MGM Studios, with funding provided by the Film Foundation and Robert B. Strum
-Optional original uncompressed Mono PCM audio & 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
-Isolated Music and Effects Soundtrack
-Charles Laughton Directs “The Night of the Hunter” - A two-and-a-half-hour documentary on the making of the film featuring outtakes and behind-the-scenes footage
-Archival interview with cinematographer Stanley Cortez
-Original theatrical trailer
-Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly artwork by Graham Humphreys
-Booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and filmmaker David Thompson with more to be announced![/quote]

MichaelB

Re: Arrow Films

#2 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:29 am

tenia wrote:A new 5.1 mix for Night of the Hunter ? :shock:
I suspect MGM created that. But since Arrow are also throwing in the original mono, it's no big deal - I can either ignore it or be pleasantly surprised (as I was with Jaws).

MichaelB

Re: Arrow Films

#3 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:12 pm

CineOutsider on The Night of the Hunter.

It looks as though they weren't sent a copy of the booklet, which I shall be remedying a.s.a.p. - it's a crammed 40-pager, and I put a lot of work into it!

UPDATE: Just to explain the segue from blatant guesswork in the above post to confirmation that I worked on this release just now, I was made co-producer of this release in mid-August - before then, I didn't know any more about it than anyone else.

EddieLarkin

Re: The Night of the Hunter

#4 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:18 pm

caps-a-holic
The first comparison between the Arrow and Criterion discs I'm aware of. Until now I just assumed the masters used were identical but that's clearly not the case, with the Criterion looking newer (or maybe just more worked on?). Even stranger, there are some extreme differences in framing (cap 8).

eerik

Re: The Night of the Hunter

#5 Post by eerik » Thu May 01, 2014 6:17 am

Same master as Koch (Germany). Criterion for me then.