Camera Obscura: The Walerian Borowczyk Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Lino

Re: Camera Obscura: The Walerian Borowczyk Collection

#776 Post by Lino » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:48 pm

The Lincoln Center is a great place to be if you're new to Boro or an aficionado of sorts, like most of us visiting this thread. Here's what they have planned for next month:

http://www.filmlinc.com/blog/entry/the- ... an-borowcz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The following link seems to indicate that Story of Sin is already restored:

http://www.nfk-distribution.org/index.p ... =34&idf=53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are we to expect more Boro on Blu this year? I sure hope so. Story of Sin is one title I would like to revisit in HD - it's such a beautiful film.

MichaelB

#777 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:14 pm

We would very much like to do an all-Polish disc featuring Story of Sin and the six 1957-8 Polish shorts (which are being restored by the Filmoteka Narodowa), not least because they'd all fit very comfortably onto one disc, but there are no concrete plans as yet.

Similarly, there are no concrete plans for any other Borowczyk releases - but that's purely in the sense of "there are no greenlit projects that are in active development". I very much hope that there will be more, as the well hasn't come close to running dry yet, and the only titles that have been definitively ruled out are Emmanuelle 5 and The Art of Love (both of which were pretty much disowned by Borowczyk, so it's hard to justify Arrow spending five figures apiece on restoring them!).

I suspect Arrow is waiting to see how well Dr Jekyll does, given that Borowczyk is much less well known in the US. (For this reason, my intro on Dr Jekyll is doubling as a beginners' guide to Borowczyk, although hopefully those who know his work already will enjoy the clipfest).

Lino

#778 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:27 am

That's good to know that Arrow is (sort of) planning more Boro or at least not ruling them out entirely. I mean, it only makes sense, given the success the boxset had and the amount of buzz the upcoming release is generating.

Anyway, I'm just currently very excited about all these Boro initiatives (in fact, I've been excited Boro wise for more than a year now!) and especially after noticing that they will be presenting in those Lincoln Center showings some polish shorts that could only bode very well for some future home video releases. Is Daniel Bird going to be there?

criterion10

#779 Post by criterion10 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Now that I've finally made my way through the set (glad to end on a high note with Blanche, which is arguably Boro's best film), any recommendations for which films to see next? I was planning to watch both The Story of Sin and La Marge, and of course his Dr. Jekyll adaptation when that comes out next month.

criterion10

#780 Post by criterion10 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:07 am

Having watched both The Story of Sin and La Marge recently, I can't help but admit that I was quite underwhelmed, especially considering that they both pale significantly in comparison with the films Arrow has released.

La Marge comes off feeling like a cheesy, 70s softcore attempting to masquerade as high art (something I would never say about Boro's other films), with its odd soundtrack choices, barebones story, and seemingly lack of any deeper subtext or meaningful character motivations. It's still reasonably enjoyable at being the former (the music choices are somehow oddly fitting), and Boro definitely does excellent work staging some of the romantic encounters.

The Story of Sin also suffers from strange, disjointed plotting and, frankly, is a bit tedious. I appreciated the scope and many different twists and turns that the film takes, but much of it is poorly developed.

It could be the poor quality of the versions I watched, but both films also lack the visual splendor and elegant framing of Boro's other films (the handheld, shaky camerawork in The Story of Sin didn't quite work for me either).

If anyone is up for it, I'd be interested in hearing defenses of both films.

reaky

#781 Post by reaky » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:04 am

The Story of Sin has always felt to me like the remnants of a much longer film, similar to the mutilated Magnificent Ambersons - there are such leaps in the latter half. All I can remember of La Marge is the egg on Sylvia Kristel's tummy.

A

#782 Post by A » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:15 pm

It could be the poor quality of the versions I watched, but both films also lack the visual splendor and elegant framing of Boro's other films (the handheld, shaky camerawork in The Story of Sin didn't quite work for me either).
I personally consider Boro's The Story of Sin to be his finest film, and think it's also his most visually splendorous work (or the one in which he indulges himself the most in regards to camerawork and art direction).
I'd definitely suggest to try to see the film in a good copy.

MichaelB

#783 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:59 am

It's just been restored in Poland, so will almost certainly be coming out in high-definition form at some point. I can't promise an Arrow release yet, though.

criterion10

#784 Post by criterion10 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:27 pm

A wrote:I personally consider Boro's The Story of Sin to be his finest film, and think it's also his most visually splendorous work (or the one in which he indulges himself the most in regards to camerawork and art direction).
Definitely didn't get that out of the film at all, sadly. I blame the version I watched (I believe it was the UK release from Nouveaux Pictures).

Here's hoping for an Arrow release.

criterion10

#785 Post by criterion10 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:58 am

Sorry to keep bombarding this thread with comments, but just two more quick questions:

1. What is the difference between the "Director's Cut" (about 86 minutes) and the "Complete Version" (about 96 minutes) on the Cult Epics release of Love Rites? Which one does it make sense to watch first?

2. Are there any releases worldwide that have French-language audio tracks for Behind Convent Walls and The Art of Love?

3. Are there any English subtitles available for Lulu?

MichaelB

#786 Post by MichaelB » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:21 am

Both Behind Convent Walls and Art of Love are Italian films, so I'm not sure why you'd need French dubs.

As for Lulu, none that I'm aware of.

criterion10

#787 Post by criterion10 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:49 pm

MichaelB wrote:Both Behind Convent Walls and Art of Love are Italian films, so I'm not sure why you'd need French dubs.
Ah, I thought those were French productions. My bad.

Thornycroft

#788 Post by Thornycroft » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:56 am

Finally finished making my way through the set with a viewing of Blanche - absolutely magnificent. I'm hoping to rewatch the entire set in the next few days and jot down some expanded thoughts, all I'll say now is that Blanche is absolutely crying out for a soundtrack release so long as appropriate elements still exist. That opening setpiece, mixing the music with Boro's incredible production design, framing, and editing is absolutely intoxicating.

monk0nuggets

#789 Post by monk0nuggets » Fri May 08, 2015 10:17 pm

I'm waaaay late to this party, but if anyone has fully consumed their box set and would like to pass along that enjoyment, I'm looking to get my hands on one.

If not, I may just pick up the individual releases, while trying hard to forget there is a lovely looking box and booklet that accompany them.

bdsweeney

#791 Post by bdsweeney » Fri May 22, 2015 12:23 am

Congratulations Michael and the gang at Arrow. Those who still hold physical product dear to their hearts have a lot to thank you for over the last few years.

MichaelB

#792 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 22, 2015 3:31 am

And the guys at Deluxe who actually did the restorations.

I'm really pleased for everyone - not least because Arrow always hoped that this release would establish themselves as serious players in the film restoration world, and you can't get much more serious than a Focal International award.

Ron

#793 Post by Ron » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:56 am

criterion10 wrote:1. What is the difference between the "Director's Cut" (about 86 minutes) and the "Complete Version" (about 96 minutes) on the Cult Epics release of Love Rites? Which one does it make sense to watch first?
As far as I remember the Complete Version contains a 10 minute sequence of conversation between Myriam and Hugo in public. However, this sequence doesn´t really enrich the story or the plot, since both central characters are becoming familiar with each other through conversation in the shorter version as well. Therefore it wasn´t surprising for me that Borowczyk left out this sequence in the Director´s Cut.

MichaelB

#794 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:42 am

Camera Obscura: The Walerian Borowczyk Collection has just won Best DVD Series/Best Box at the Cinema Ritrovato Awards in Bologna:
An exemplary box set that displays impeccable research and thoroughness. The transfers are fantastic and even the choices made in subtitling are graphically superior compared to most of the releases we have considered. This edition of Arrow Films is a model of generosity, imagination, and intelligence in its groundwork and presentation. A work of art in itself.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#795 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:46 am

I saw this while scrolling the festival program, and it was a very strong selection to begin with. I gues it's then even more praise to be rewarded among all these quality releases.

denti alligator

#796 Post by denti alligator » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Since the box is OOP, can I get all the content by getting the individual BDs?

knives

#797 Post by knives » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:58 pm

Yes for the on disc contents, but the book that came with the box is not included in full across the discs.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#798 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:18 pm

Congrats on the Boro and wondering how you might top it in the coming year!

David M.

#799 Post by David M. » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:00 pm

Thanks all! It was around this time last year we were working on it so to see it picking up awards a year on is very rewarding.

Ashirg

#800 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:04 pm

So how come Arrow is releasing The Beast and Immoral Tales in US? I thought these titles were with IFC Midnight in North America or was it only for theatrical releases?